Does the Nexus S mean Gingerbread rom for us?

JeremytheIndian

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
With the Nexus S being so closely related to our beloved Fascinate do you guys we could see a Gingerbread ROM in the near future? I'm a noob and though I'm rooted, I haven't bothered with ROMs or Kernals yet. However, I might dive in for a bit of Gingerbread.

Or am I just crazy?

Joel S.

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
Near future? No. Eventually? Possible. The only key hardware differences I think between the Nexus S and our phones are the radio (GSM vs CDMA), the front facing camera, and the NFC chip, so realistically it should make it's way to our greedy little hands.

I'll be shocked if Verizon skips over 2.2 and just goes to 2.3 for the Fascinate.

[EDIT] Rumor just popped up that said the Galaxy S line might get gingerbread before HTC/Moto do due to the fact they've had it in their hands longer with the Nexus S. Doubtful really, but keep your fingers crossed.

Pags

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
We're dealing with Verizon here...they will prioritize any Droid phone over the Fascinate.

I highly doubt we will get Gingerbread at all.

Verizon is ****tastic when it comes to appealing to the hardcore user base.

Reactions: hijohnmark

Sta11i0n

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Verizon is ****tastic when it comes to appealing to the hardcore user base.

That's because "hardcore" users are such a small percentage of their market. And to them, if you're any bit hardcore about getting the newest toys, you'll just be buying them regardless of upgrade status. This is just the harsh reality we face and why we have to resort to modifying our devices with aftermarket roms, kernels, launchers etc. I personally don't mind this because I know I have the ability to do it, and I know my setup is going to be totally custom to what I want.

hijohnmark

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
Oh, the agony!

This is just the harsh reality we face and why we have to resort to modifying our devices with aftermarket roms, kernels, launchers etc. I personally don't mind this because I know I have the ability to do it, and I know my setup is going to be totally custom to what I want.

Have you been able to run ROMs on your Verizon Fascinate? Because for the life of me I cannot get ClockWorkMod to work. I've rooted and all that but ROMs are not working for me. Anyway it's so damn frustrating because I'm not even asking for a raw Android install (although that would be ideal and wonderful). I know Verizon's got deals with service providers like Bing and Allshare and they're trying to push V-Cast (which blows), but for crying out loud, if you can't get basic upgrades into your customer's hands within a half year of its availability then you've got a serious problem on your hands!

"Power users" don't even factor in to the iPhone strategy because everyone gets the same experience no matter what (and jailbreaking is super easy, way easier than rooting Android). I really wish Google would take a branch or two out of Apple's philosophical tree and force manufacturers to either issue a complete update within a certain timeframe on hardware-eligible devices or abandon their stupid fancy interface modifications that are ****ing **** up for everyone.