One question before I root my Fascinate

drjohnson89

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Hello everyone. I will be getting my Fascinate tomorrow and HATE Bing. I was also hoping to use nes roms etc. The only way to accomplish these things appears to be Rooting my phone, which I have read up on a lot. If I follow Dirrk's guide on how to Root and use the latest drivers (I think these are them http://forum.androidcentral.com/fascinate-roms-hacks/33899-how-root.html) is there any chance I can "brick" or permanently mess up my phone? I'm extremely comfortable with computers and tech. overall, I just want to make sure I've got all my bases covered before I take an expensive leap of faith. Thanks again!

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
www.sunny16.org
Hello everyone. I will be getting my Fascinate tomorrow and HATE Bing. I was also hoping to use nes roms etc. The only way to accomplish these things appears to be Rooting my phone, which I have read up on a lot. If I follow Dirrk's guide on how to Root and use the latest drivers (I think these are them http://forum.androidcentral.com/fascinate-roms-hacks/33899-how-root.html) is there any chance I can "brick" or permanently mess up my phone? I'm extremely comfortable with computers and tech. overall, I just want to make sure I've got all my bases covered before I take an expensive leap of faith. Thanks again!

Rooting is minimally invasive, so there's very little chance of bricking your phone from just rooting. I would recommend getting CWM recovery installed so that you can make backups of your system should something go wrong.

I was also hoping to use nes roms etc.

Are you referring to Nintendo ROMS? If you just want to play games, you certainly don't need to root do that. Make sure you're not confusing video game rom's, with actual device ROM's.

dr.duct_mossburg

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
If you brick it, take it back... shrug your shoulders, make a funny face, throw your hands up, say (I done know what happ-in, Needz news fone).

Like Brandon said, this stuff appears a lot harder and more complex than it really is... Especially with the latest in app's etc. availible.

Another good things to do is go on youtube and watch the step-by-steps.

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

i have bricked my phone no less than 5 times. it might be 6, i lost count!!! that being said i learned something each time. if you brick go back. if you really brick it go here, do this:

xda-developers - View Single Post - [ODIN] Full DI01 ODIN Package

you will be back to out of the box new. i nearly crapped myself the first time i bricked it, but its not that bad.

one bit of advice, STAY AWAY FROM VOODOO!!!!!!!! there are people on this forum that use it and like it, and they are way better at this than me. my biggest problems came from voodoo. some of it was me not knowing what i was doing, and some of it was voodoo being voodoo. just my opinion.

causey

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
my advice is to read up on it till you know the steps, then just go for it. i come from a winmo and blackberry background, and android is by far easier to unbrick then BB ever was lol.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power