Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    646 Global Posts

Default Is a locked bootloader in our future?

Just noticed this over at XDA: Leaked Galaxy Tab comes with locked bootloader

What are the chances they'll do the same for future updates to our phones? I'm just glad DJ05 has fixed the GPS, because there's really not much to be gained in 2.2+ at this point, for me at least. Hopefully they won't lock down our phones, but it's not a good sign. One thing's for certain though - my interest in the Galaxy Tab has dropped to essentially zero. I had been looking to pick up a tablet for my wife, and I now have one less to consider.

Time to start looking into a hacked Nook color, eh? Or if you have some seriously uber skills, there is a new color tablet/reader with wifi (sadly no touchscreen) made by a company called Literati that runs mostly free software (the manual is riddled with GPL and GPL-esque licenses) and it sells for... hang on to your socks... about $50 after rebate.
    Last edited by joebob2000; 12-27-2010 at 11:45 AM.

Global Posts
    546 Global Posts

The Nook color is the way to go, Birdman has one so you've got some dev backing. Who doesn't have a B&N gift card laying around they're only $250...

If I bought a tablet it would have to be 10 inches. Things like the Galaxy Tab and Nook Color are only 3 inches bigger than the Fascinate. I'd want something at least twice the size before I could justify buying one.

Global Posts
    236 Global Posts
    ROM
    VGNex:4.1; ATP:Stock

same here. The Galaxy Tab is too small... and also too thick (that's what she said). I got to play with one at a VZW store and I was kind of disappointed in the form factor.
    "One Really Really Deep Thought" by Ytaay...

"Test is test and production is production but production is the only true test."

ROM
    Gummy, AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by Ytaay View Post
    same here. The Galaxy Tab is too small... and also too thick (that's what she said). I got to play with one at a VZW store and I was kind of disappointed in the form factor.
    steve jobs can suck it!!!!! i do some it work for a local doctor and we are going paperless in 2011. i dont know if this what you are looking for but it blows everything else away(if you have the money, $600). its a fully functional computer with 3 usb, bt, hdmi, multi touch hd screen and has a 3g potion. runs win7 x64(spec sheet says x86, but there is an x64 option).

https://h30406.www3.hp.com/campaigns...PSL/index.php?

Global Posts
    10,702 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

ha ha, locked bootloaders are only as good as the hackers that WILL crack them.

Quote Originally Posted by gunnermike53 View Post
    steve jobs can suck it!!!!! i do some it work for a local doctor and we are going paperless in 2011. i dont know if this what you are looking for but it blows everything else away(if you have the money, $600). its a fully functional computer with 3 usb, bt, hdmi, multi touch hd screen and has a 3g potion. runs win7 x64(spec sheet says x86, but there is an x64 option).

https://h30406.www3.hp.com/campaigns...PSL/index.php?
    not quite sure what stevie has to do with the tab, but I digress. I've read more than a few reviews that are rather disappointed with Win7's touchscreen functions. The general consensus is that the touch ui is considerably slower and more prone to inaccuracy than the conventional windows ui.

Now the Win7 Mobile OS is a different story. Maybe MS will decide to go the route Apple and Google have taken and work on adapting the phone OS to the tablet form factor? Seems to be the winning formula imo.

Global Posts
    546 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Johnly View Post
    ha ha, locked bootloaders are only as good as the hackers that WILL crack them.
    The DX is still holding strong...if they ever crack it something better will have been released already.

ROM
    Gummy, AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by fwdixon View Post
    not quite sure what stevie has to do with the tab, but I digress. I've read more than a few reviews that are rather disappointed with Win7's touchscreen functions. The general consensus is that the touch ui is considerably slower and more prone to inaccuracy than the conventional windows ui.

Now the Win7 Mobile OS is a different story. Maybe MS will decide to go the route Apple and Google have taken and work on adapting the phone OS to the tablet form factor? Seems to be the winning formula imo.
    everybody always compares tablets to the ipad. so far so good on the ui. every time ms comes out with something critics find ways to bahs it. every one hated vista cause it had so many problems. what problems? my vista ran great. no problems. it was a bit of a memory hog, notihng 2 more gigs didnt fix. same with this thing. i dont see it. they talk about problems but i have yet to see them.