Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Super Dark v1 (DJ05)

Default Custom Roms Are AMAZING!!

During my time owning my Fascinate from its launch date I have gone from total noob, to semi noob, to someone who halfway knows something about the beauty that is Custom ROMs/Kernels. The only reason I'm doing this post is to share my love of the ability to completely customize my phone to my liking with a custom Rom and to help anyone who has any questions about flashing ROMS to their device. Please share your ROM of choice is this post, and if there any noobs (it's ok I was one 3 months ago) with questions on taking the flashing plunge, please feel free to ask away!!
    Thanked by:
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

ROM
    Super Dark v1 (DJ05)

Just to share: I am currently running my Fascinate with JT's Super Clean ROM (DJ05) with JT's 1.54 Kernel. The snappiness of these two in comparison to the stock Rom and Kernel are indescribable.

I'm a mac user and have rooted my vzw fascinate using Corey's mac method successfully. I have Rom manager (premium with clockworkmod recovery), but I have not done anything with Odin. I did however flash Clockworkmod recovery and it now says "current recovery: clockworkmod 2.5.1.0" in the Rom manger. I'm wanting to flash the Superdark rom and a voodoo 5 kernel. So my question is, do I need to do something with Odin or can I just flash by mounting the sd card on my mac and place the downloaded rom and kernel on the sd card and go to "install rom from sd card" inside Rom manger? Hopefully all of this makes sense, but if it does'nt or you need more info just let me know.
    Btw, I also have superuser from the market (skipped the superuser step in Corey's instructions), appbrain and titanium backup pro.

Global Posts
    546 Global Posts

You need to install Clockwork in Odin
    Thanked by:
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    1,688 Global Posts
    ROM
    GummyCharge 1.9.1

If you plan on going to a DJ05 ROM and kernal you need to flash the DJ05 modem with Odin, otherwise you'll run into all sorts of issues
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

ROM
    Super Dark v1 (DJ05)

Quote Originally Posted by dragemd View Post
    I'm a mac user and have rooted my vzw fascinate using Corey's mac method successfully. I have Rom manager (premium with clockworkmod recovery), but I have not done anything with Odin. I did however flash Clockworkmod recovery and it now says "current recovery: clockworkmod 2.5.1.0" in the Rom manger. I'm wanting to flash the Superdark rom and a voodoo 5 kernel. So my question is, do I need to do something with Odin or can I just flash by mounting the sd card on my mac and place the downloaded rom and kernel on the sd card and go to "install rom from sd card" inside Rom manger? Hopefully all of this makes sense, but if it does'nt or you need more info just let me know.
    Btw, I also have superuser from the market (skipped the superuser step in Corey's instructions), appbrain and titanium backup pro.
    There are two things you need to do before you get started flashing Custom Roms and Kernels in Rom Manager
    1. You need to push ClockWorkMod Recovery File to your phone via Odin
    - Here is how to do that. . .

2. If you plan on upgrading your device to the DJ05 build (which I would highly
    recommend), you need to flash the DJ05 Modem to your device via Odin.
    - Here is how to do that. . .

Good Luck and let me know how it goes!
    Thanked by:

ROM
    thundeROM 1.5 / xionia

i've always been a tweaker so I love custom roms. on my galaxy vibrant, I have cwm recovery + voodoo w/a jl5 kernel (nero rom v3). also, my optimus (my daily driver) has thunderROM v1.5 w/a stock kernel. I love both android devices and the buttery smooth efficiency they run with.
    idk much about the fascinate but I know one can flash clockwork recovery with just a click via rom manager. the only time I had to use odin, I'd soft-bricked my galaxy and I was restoring to stock firmware.

Sent from my Optimus via Tapatalk
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

ROM
    Super Dark v1 (DJ05)

For some reason with the Fascinate the ClockWork Recovery via Rom Mananger doesnt seem to install properly. I was forced to use Odin after attempting to use Rom Manager several times.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    1,688 Global Posts
    ROM
    GummyCharge 1.9.1

Correct. You have to flash via Odin in order for it to install
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by jisley10 View Post
    For some reason with the Fascinate the ClockWork Recovery via Rom Mananger doesnt seem to install properly. I was forced to use Odin after attempting to use Rom Manager several times.
    I believe this is the case for me as well. I tried rebooting into recovery from Rom Manager but instead of going into Clockworkmod Recovery it went into the Samsung (Se2) recovery.

Are you a Mac user? The reason I ask is I'm wondering if I need to just download the one zip file from the link you gave me. I'm not sure, but I'm under the assumption that it contains the samsung driver, odin, and clockwork mod recovery?

And I'm also guessing it should look more like this:
    $cd ..
    $cd ..
    $cd and*
    $cd tools
    $./adb push /path/to/redbend_ua /data/local
    $./adb shell
    $su
    $chmod 755 /data/local/redbend_ua
    $./data/local/redbend_ua restore /sdcard/zImage /dev/block/bm17
    $./data/local/redbend_ua restore /sdcard/zImage /dev/block/bm18

I'm really sorry to be such a bother, I'm just really new to this and can't afford to be bricking my phone. Thank you for all of your help.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

ROM
    Super Dark v1 (DJ05)

I am a windows user but the link contains a download for Mac users as well. The samsung drivers will have to be downloaded elsewhere though.

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

jisley i sent you that kernel link
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
    Thanked by:
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

ROM
    Super Dark v1 (DJ05)

Thanks Man, I got it and it works great. I had v1.54 and didn't see any problems. It's a shame that geeknik isn't supporting the Fascinate anymore.

Just to share: I am currently running my Fascinate with JT's Super Clean ROM (DJ05) with JT's 1.54 Kernel. The snappiness of these two in comparison to the stock Rom and Kernel are indescribable.
    +1

Honestly this a tweakers delight device. When I first got the phone I was constantly fiddling with settings and widgets and ooohing and ahhhing with different wallpapers and such. Nowadays I am flashing different kernels and roms just see what they do. Also changing different rom themes to see what they look like.

I went from total nooob to fairly comfortable doing these hacks in just one short month of ownership. Pretty scary at first but got the hang of it just by hanging in these forums and reading and following directions.

To all you unrooted ppl out there...you CAN do it.

I had the same problem with rom manager. Several failed attempts and i had to flash cwm via odin. No problems at all after that.

I have to say before I flashed cwm via odin i was very frustrated.

I can only speak for myself here but... I would stay far, far, far away from VooDoo. It is a serious mess trying to get that cleaned off your phone if you want to do anything else. I myself am very new to rooting and flashing ROMs but I learned a very hard lesson just these last 2 days about Voodoo. There are plenty of other options for custom ROMs and kernels that are far easier to deal with if you want to change them. Just my 2 cents anyway.

Read this:

I would have saved myself some serious headaches had I read it first. Good luck.

I believe this is the case for me as well. I tried rebooting into recovery from Rom Manager but instead of going into Clockworkmod Recovery it went into the Samsung (Se2) recovery.

Are you a Mac user? The reason I ask is I'm wondering if I need to just download the one zip file from the link you gave me. I'm not sure, but I'm under the assumption that it contains the samsung driver, odin, and clockwork mod recovery?
    you must flash the CWM kernel via odin - flashing in ROM Manager alone will not work. you must do both.

i am a mac user, and unfortunately, odin is only for PCs. i installed Windows7 on my mac via bootcamp and use that whenever i need to odin... so you need to do that, or find a friend with a PC that will let you run odin (it only takes 2 min once you have the program and files ready).

Global Posts
    546 Global Posts

Odin is really handy in a pinch if you're going to be hacking this phone. XP partition only takes 10gb and is good enough for Odin.

ROM
    Gummy, AOKP

I'm really sorry to be such a bother, I'm just really new to this and can't afford to be bricking my phone. Thank you for all of your help.
    its really hard to brick your phone in such a way you cant recover it. infact in the 20 or so (and counting) times i have bricked my phone, it was relatively easy to get it working again. if all else fails flash back to stock and start over again.

and your not a bother, we have all been there. i still remember that first crap my pants feeling when i bricked my phone the first time.

Default flashing assistance.....im stuck.

ok, so i have my fascinate rooted, and with one click lag fix (which has worked wonders for me btw since my benchmark score is well over 2200 now and before it was 919) but i have crom manager on my phone, and not the premium since i dont have the 5 bucks even to buy it (lame i know) but i want to install the Super dark v1 dj05 rom, but im not really sure what to do, i used rom manager to get it, and tried installing rom via bootloader through rom manager, but i keep getting errors.

like this

--install from package--
    finding update package
    opening update package
    verifying update package
    E:failed to seek in /cache/update.zip (invalid arguement)
    E:signature verification failed
    installation aborted.

wtf? i even moved the .zip file to my sdcard root and renamed it update.zip, still nothing, when i try to install via sd card in bootloader i get the whole verification of signature failed...it wont even let me back up my stock eclair rom. Ireally cant afford to brick my phone just ****ing around with stuff i have no idea of, and im tired of samsungs lies that we will get froyo by sept of '10, then nov, then dec.....now next year..when everyone else has gingerbread?? (i think thats what its called) i really need your help guys, im drowning in the what the **** did i get myself into ocean and im hoping one of you is kind enough to throw me a lifeline. (hell maybe even walk me through it via google talk....
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

ROM
    Super Dark v1 (DJ05)

Sounds like you doing have clockwork recovery on your device. Just flashing it in rom manager doesn't work. On the fascinate you must flash clockwork recovery via odin.

Default !!! A lifeline!!!

thank god, finally a response from somebody somewhere other than "man you guys are still on 2.1....chuckle chuckle..sucks for you" sweet deal. So how do i work odin then? i hope its relatively the same as android SDK and push?

Global Posts
    546 Global Posts

There is sticky thread on how to install Clockwork. Odin is pretty simple.

PDA PDA PDA PDA PDA!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast