How i learned to flash a ROM

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
im going to give you all the tools that i used to flash rom's. First are videos that are not for our phone but will give you a great basis and idea of what to do. this way you feel confident going into this

First video is from one of our advisers JerzyIroc , flashing a rom to an Evo. again not the same thing for us but it is a great basis.
YouTube - How to flash a ROM and kernel on your HTC Evo 4G

Next up is a series of videos , they are for the galaxy s captivate but again really close to our phone , what you need is the ROM and Firmware Based Videos section(Odin video in particular). but to be honest watching them all would not hurt one bit they are an awsome set of tools for learning. I donate a couple dollars here and there to him cause he deserves it for these videos:
http://forum.androidcentral.com/t-c...video-samsung-captivate-video-how-thread.html

Here is the Download to the Odin application tool:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=J4Y10P6G
Steps(For full package flashes):
1. Pull battery from device
2. Open odin on desktop
3. Hold volume down button and plug device into computer
-This will place the device into download mode
4. Verify device shows up in odin
5. Click "PDA" button in odin (Never phone Area)
6. Select desired .tar file from where you downloaded it
7. Click "Start"
8. Enjoy your fixed /system partition!

(this will also flash Radio's and Clockwork recovery which is mentioned in the thread i have provided below along with directions)

Next up is a forum thread from here in AC explaining how to install Clockworkmod recovery written up by namebrandon one of our moderators here at AC :
http://forum.androidcentral.com/fascinate-roms-hacks/35726-clockworkmod-recovery.html

By now you should be getting ready to flash here is the link to the DJ05 modem rom and kernel: (GPS fixed amonst other things)
[RELEASE] DJ05 rom, kernel, radio - xda-developers

here is a link to a list of Stupid fast kernels. i am personally using older versions V1.76... only use with DJ05:
Geeknik's StupidFast Kernel for the Samsung Fascinate

Here is a link to Full package DJ05 Vs the method above, method above is a good start in learning how to flash individual roms
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=885262

Here is a link to go back completely to stock 2.1 Full package Using Odin in PDA. this is a step procedure no booting into recovery is necessary
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=867648

THINGS TO KNOW......
1. Don't panic 98% of the time you can find a way back to Stock, just ask for help

2. When using Odin always put in PDA mode ,NEVER in cell phone

3. For the fascinate manually reaching recovery mode goes as follows:
to get into recovery mode you must hold up and down volume buttons together, while continue to hold them hit the power button, you will see samsung light up go dark and light up again(2 cycles) at this point let go of power and volume keys and just press the down button, you will then go into recovery

4. to reach download mode you must do the following:
Press and hold volume down, while holding press the power button for a count of 2 seconds, then release power button

5. MOST IMPORTANT, READ READ READ,,,, and then ASK QUESTIONS..
always make sure you didnt miss any steps or warnings on these pages.
and if you get stuck please ask us everyone is here to help.
For best help , be very descriptive about what you were doing when you got lost .

Good luck i hope this helps some people.

Also if you have suggestions on things im missing to add, please feel free to let me know and ill do my best

Last edited:

Clak

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Is there any disadvantage to using that Odin image for DJ05? I was going to do that and then flash the newest blackhole rom. I know I could do the kernel and modem separately, then the blackhole rom, but it seems easier to just use Odin then flash blackhole from rom manager.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Is there any disadvantage to using that Odin image for DJ05? I was going to do that and then flash the newest blackhole rom. I know I could do the kernel and modem separately, then the blackhole rom, but it seems easier to just use Odin then flash blackhole from rom manager.

In this method you are only using Odin to Flash the modem, and you are flashing the rom and kernel like you would any other rom.

I have not flashed DJ05 using an Odin package, but if you are willing to try it and report back i will update the tutorial if it works. if not ill try it out in a couple days.

Reactions: Landshark

Clak

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Heh, wouldn't be the first time...

I'm still going to try it eventually, gotten sick right on new year's day so I'm out of the game so to speak.

jackmei2

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
is there a way to boot directly to cwm? the only way I know of is to go into rom manager and select boot to cwm. is that the only way? this can suck if you flash a bare rom and need to set up the phone before you can even get rom manager installed.

Clak

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
If you hold down both volume buttons and the power button it will boot to recovery, then you can tell it to flash update.zip to get to cwm.

jackmei2

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
And the volume up/down buttons move up and down the list, power button is used to make a selection.

that's good to know, I've normally been using the back arrow button to make selections, so that works too

*edit*
actually for the samsung part of the recovery, I had to hit the home button to make a selection, but the back arrow worked for cwm.

EdwardsNH

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
3. For the fascinate manually reaching recovery mode goes as follows:
to get into recovery mode you must hold up and down volume buttons together, while continue to hold them hit the power button, you will see samsung light up go dark and light up again(2 cycles) at this point let go of power and volume keys and just press the down button, you will then go into recovery

This brings me to 2e though. Any way to get to CWM without using Rom Manager?

EdwardsNH

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks DroidXcon... especially since I just read through the rest of the post, and saw you've already answered this.

Maybe you could edit the original post, and avoid num nutz like myself that don't read through the thread ;)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX