Progress report... And some some stupid questions (Forgive me)

TheANARCHY

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Ok since my last post about improving my Fascinate's performance with some minor software tweaks I've taken the plunge and did some more hacking/tweaking. In roughly this order...
I rooted my phone using the one-click method (Thx Diirk, Cory, Brandon, and all you others for the exceptional write up and advice). I installed ClorkWorkMod using Odin (Which took some considerable trial and error on my part because I kept skipping steps without realizing it, what a dummy). I installed the VooDoo Kernal w/ Lagfix from within Rom Manager (Very Handy to be able to do it right there in the app, and restore if you don't like it), now my Quadrant scores are around 1700+ which is well above the 900 or middle of the pack they were. And I flashed a few ROMS to the phone, and just as quick unflashed for lack of not knowing what I'd find when I put them on, and not liking it.

So here's the questions... Again they may have been asked already and answered so forgive my ignorance.
1. Is there a way for me to look and see what mods I have put on and installed? I can't seem to find a listing or log of the mods I have made anywhere.
2. I want to use the DJ05 hack and get all those fixes. I already did in fact install it last night (version jt1134 Super Clean Rom w/ DJ05). Then when I opened it I saw that all my apps were now gone and my beloved Launcher Plus was no longer on there but ADW. Didn't play around much after that just opened Rom Manager and restored to backup. But I still have the DJ05 radio. Why I don't know. Anyways, my question is this; Is there any form of this DJ05 out there that will let me keep my current apps and settings while simply applying the features to it? Sorta like an OTA from the carrier.

That's it for now. Two questions. Very long ones but the more info you give the less confusion you create when others try to help you. Which I'm very grateful for. Thank you so much for this wonderful resource of information and advice. It is greatly appreciated. ;)

P.S. - I would ask this over at XDA but I've seen the sorta of impatience that comes from them dealing with newcomers in those forums. Not that they are bad or nasty mind you, but they will smack you down for asking something that may have already been posted even if you couldn't find it. :confused: My trepidation should therefore be understandable here. Again thx for all you good people do.

TheANARCHY

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Oh and I almost forgot 2 key points...

I uninstalled that DJ05 Rom after discovering that my bluetooth wasn't functional. At all. I need my bluetooth!

And secondly I now have no haptic feedback on my phone. I don't know if this is a result of some mod or not or if it's even a big deal to worry about at this point. But I figure it's relevant to mention it

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
www.sunny16.org
I'm not going to go into too much detail here, since most of this information has been posted in the forums, but here's a bit to get your started.

1 - Bluetooth failure is 99.9% related to the kernel. You can try different kernels, while leaving the ROM intact. That should help you get the ROM you want, and keep BT working. I hear you though, I have BT headphones when I run, if BT dies, so does my desire to run.. :)

2 - Loss of haptic feedback is due to mixing DJ05 with a DI01 kernel (or vice versa).

3 - There is no list of fixes/patches/etc on your device. You'll have to look at where you got the items you've installed.

If you'd like to try out a non-voodoo DJ05, I'd recommend starting out with JT's clean ROM v0.9, and using a stable Geeknik kernel, I know people have used 1.98 with BT just fine.

Here's geeknik's page, look into the older versions for 1.98.

Geeknik's StupidFast Kernel for the Samsung Fascinate

Reactions: TheANARCHY

TheANARCHY

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
I appreciate all that info Brandon. It seems that while I was tired and fatigued last night, not the time to be hacking into one's smartphone, I overlooked flashing the kernel that goes with the DJ05 updates. That is my source of problems with the bluetooth functionality. I am fixing that now. I seem to be getting conflicting info between XDA and here about disabling Voodoo however. Do I now need to disable VooDoo in order to flash the DJ05 kernel? Im betting I'm reading the posts wrong but it never hurts to ask.

TheANARCHY

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Update - Ok I disabled VooDoo and deleted all traces from the sdcard. Just tested it using Quadrant to be sure. All gone so that's a relief. Again Thanks to all for your advice and thorough instructions. In my haste to try new things I jumped the gun and tried messing with advanced things like VooDoo and I really shouldn't have. Leave that stuff to more advanced users! I'm going to now flash the stock DJ05 kernel and will go about selecting a ROM to flash as well. Looks like for now the best one for my experience lvl would be jt's Super Clean DJ05 v.09. Having just installed the proper kernel this should solve the issues I had with my attempt last night.

NOsquid

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Which Voodoo did you have? The new ones are for DJ05.

You need to install the DJ05 radio via Odin, not just ROM and kernel.

When you flash ROMs, aside from your nandroid backup in case **** hits the fan, you should back up your user apps in Titanium. Then you can restore then more easily on your new setup than going through the market and it saves your app data. If you pay for TiBU pro, you can do batch operations. So to answer your question, flashing a brand new ROM wipes your apps. You need to set it up the way you like.

Edit: Actually, more correct way to put it is *you* wipe your apps when you check "wipe data/cache" during the process in ROM Manager. User apps are in the data folder. You can try installing ROMs without wiping if you want, at this point they are all pretty similar and Touchwiz based (besides the AOSP alpha release). Have a nandroid ready. I have gone from Clean DJ05 to Blackhole DJ05 sans wiping, but it's generally not good form not to wipe. Better to wipe and be safe, nobody will feel sorry for you if something goes wrong, and nandroid backups don't always work

Last edited:

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
one thing you should study up on is how to flash back to stock. when you brick your phone (and yes you WILL brick your phone soon if you havent already) and all else fails flash back to stock. sometimes its easier just to go back to stock and start over than to try and fix some the problem, sometimes.

on another note, NOsquid is right, dont forget to flash the proper modem.
and dont panic when you brick your phone, its really not that bad. there is almost always a way to unscrew what you screw up.

TheANARCHY

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Well have I got the mother of updates...

First of all thx for the replies. I did in fact go completely back to stock. Had to use the backup assistant to restore contacts, settings, sync data w/ gmail etc... you get the picture. So I was completely stock just like right out of the box.

Then I saw this little rectangle appear in the middle of the screen... Hmmmm :confused:

It went away after a few seconds. I checked everthing I could get access from the stock settings, all was normal as I remember. No trace of root or VooDoo or any of my root mods. Called Verizon and mentioned the little box. Guy had me reboot the phone and it was right there on the startup over the Samsung and Verizon boot logos. Blinking rapidly until after a few minutes, and the guy having me flip a few screens and such, it went away. So he has me do a hardware reset. Ok a reset and all is done. But the little box is there and it's worse now than it was. :eek: And it doesn't go away! So into the recovery menu he has me go to check a few things. He wants me to do another wipe/reset from that menu. And suddenly the phone pops up a red error in the code that says can't execute operation aborted... and the little flashing box is there. :mad: He has me pull the battery and reinsert but then the phone seems to start up and freeze at the Samsung logo. Where it is still froze at.

So the tech says to me apparently I've had you do something wrong and your phone is now messed up... Ive got to send you another. It'll be there by FEDEX on Tuesday. OK. So... :cool:

Did I do something wrong taking all the root and voodoo stuff out? Or did the tech tell me to do something wrong? :confused: Either way... I was on the phone with him when it happened so he immediately said forget it and replace it. Thank goodness for warranties. But I still want to know was it my screwup or his. If it was my screwup then what did I do wrong so I won't make that mistake again. And just what was the little flickering rectangle/box that kept appearing on my screen? Any thoughts? :eek:

P.S. - It seems my first efforts at rooting an Android device are a miserable failure and have myself to blame for rushing the process. Perhaps I let my experiences jailbreaking the iPhone give me hubris.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Well have I got the mother of updates...

First of all thx for the replies. I did in fact go completely back to stock. Had to use the backup assistant to restore contacts, settings, sync data w/ gmail etc... you get the picture. So I was completely stock just like right out of the box.

Then I saw this little rectangle appear in the middle of the screen... Hmmmm :confused:

It went away after a few seconds. I checked everthing I could get access from the stock settings, all was normal as I remember. No trace of root or VooDoo or any of my root mods. Called Verizon and mentioned the little box. Guy had me reboot the phone and it was right there on the startup over the Samsung and Verizon boot logos. Blinking rapidly until after a few minutes, and the guy having me flip a few screens and such, it went away. So he has me do a hardware reset. Ok a reset and all is done. But the little box is there and it's worse now than it was. :eek: And it doesn't go away! So into the recovery menu he has me go to check a few things. He wants me to do another wipe/reset from that menu. And suddenly the phone pops up a red error in the code that says can't execute operation aborted... and the little flashing box is there. :mad: He has me pull the battery and reinsert but then the phone seems to start up and freeze at the Samsung logo. Where it is still froze at.

So the tech says to me apparently I've had you do something wrong and your phone is now messed up... Ive got to send you another. It'll be there by FEDEX on Tuesday. OK. So... :cool:

Did I do something wrong taking all the root and voodoo stuff out? Or did the tech tell me to do something wrong? :confused: Either way... I was on the phone with him when it happened so he immediately said forget it and replace it. Thank goodness for warranties. But I still want to know was it my screwup or his. If it was my screwup then what did I do wrong so I won't make that mistake again. And just what was the little flickering rectangle/box that kept appearing on my screen? Any thoughts? :eek:

P.S. - It seems my first efforts at rooting an Android device are a miserable failure and have myself to blame for rushing the process. Perhaps I let my experiences jailbreaking the iPhone give me hubris.

I don't know about what the rectangle was , can you find a picture of it on the web by any chance..... also what was the method you used to go back to stock.

I'm sorry about your challenges, but its good, in a way we all learn from our mistakes and this will give you more confidence for future attempts.. glad to see you keep a good attitude about it all.

so yeah please provide us with a link to where you got the tutorial or the programs you used.

Happy new year by the way

TheANARCHY

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
The link you asked for...

First I used the 1 click root method as posted on here (which went off without a hitch). Then I debloated the phone following Cory's post to get rid of the crap from Verizon. Again no problems. From there I studied up (in a big hurry without carefully reading) the info at XDA about DJ05. Here is the link I used for the DJ05 update;

[ODIN] Full DJ05 Odin Package - xda-developers

I know I installed the radio for DJ05 and then tried to Flash a ROM without using the DJ05 kernel. That is what I know for sure caused me a big problem. But I did get the DJ05 kernel installed and all was well again. Now as far as installing VooDoo ex4 I can't be sure I followed the link from here or over at XDA. I can tell you I did this late at night last night after goofing around most of the day and I'm positive that I screwed something up while enabling/disabling VooDoo. I know I screwed up with the kernel and VooDoo and that's why I went back to stock by following the post here and at XDA.

As far as the little black rectangle I looked around the web to see if I can find a pic or on Youtube but I can't. But the tech from Verizon seemed to know exactly what it was. He said he's aware of that with some phones...:confused:

Anyway that's everything I can tell you. I hope others will learn not to make the same mistakes I did. And you are right DroidX. I now have a new set of skills to work with, and some explicit knowledge of what not to do :eek:, for when I get the new phone. If only most things were this easily remedied when we screw them up.

And Happy New Year to you and all the good folks here at AC and these forums!

TheANARCHY

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Yeah It was what I used to go back to stock. It worked exactly as advertised when I finally got rid of the lagfix. That little black rectangle started appearing right after I did the first reboot from using this. Maybe my screen had a flaw all along? Who knows...

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
OK your on. I'll give it a go and report back.

I like your attitude,,,, what rom did you flash exactly after switching to DJ05,, yeah you cant go off flashing rom's willy nilly need to make sure when you mix and match kernels and what not that they are compatible

NOsquid

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Just to be clear - the black rectangle appeared while you were using the phone, right? Not just over the boot animation?

For Odin, you have Samsung drivers? Pull battery, hold volume down as you plug in usb, get download mode pic? Odin detects the phone and says complete after flashing? PDA, never used the phone box?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Just to be clear - the black rectangle appeared while you were using the phone, right? Not just over the boot animation?

For Odin, you have Samsung drivers? Pull battery, hold volume down as you plug in usb, get download mode pic? Odin detects the phone and says complete after flashing? PDA, never used the phone box?

yeah if you use phone it may erase your modem info and you will have trouble connecting after that.

TheANARCHY

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
That is absolutely what I did to screw the whole lagfix up. I mixed the DI01 kernel with the DJ05 modem and tried to flash jd super clean 1.54 v.09 ROM over it. Got it off of Rom Manager by the way. So I made a huge mistake here and it killed my bluetooth, contacts, 3G and most other basic phone functions. Luckily I managed to rectify that with the return to stock fix.

TheANARCHY

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site

Check. Used PDA and followed those directions as I should have. It's other stuff that I'm now realizing I screwed up real bad that probably got me to this point. :p

TheANARCHY

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Update:

OK I managed to get the phone to go back to the boot up Samsung & Verizon logos but it just hangs there and the little black rectangle flickers over top of the Verizon logo. If you look at the logo when you boot up your phone this rectangle is about 2/3 the size of it and flickers in the middle of the screen.

It did say that all threads completed and everything passed in Odin. So if I could get the phone past the boot logo and make the little rectangle go away perhaps it's alive. Or if not it will just go back to Verizon and I'll root the new and start from scratch with the knowledge of what I did wrong and how to do it right. ;)

Let's see new phone will be here by Fedex on Tuesday so I've got realistically from now about 24 hrs to monkey around with this and see if I can either fix it (I'm coming to believe I broke it after all), or make it worse! A distinct possibility. :eek:

Good thing I'm off work the entire week... :cool: