Best Rom and Kernal combinations?

NOsquid

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Different kernels work well for different people, it's funny.

There is no good way to measure battery life IMO. Chasing that with different setups is an exercise in frustration. I bought a spare battery and never worry about it.

MolecularGraph

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Different kernels work well for different people, it's funny.

There is no good way to measure battery life IMO. Chasing that with different setups is an exercise in frustration. I bought a spare battery and never worry about it.

You sir... Correct me if I'm wrong and your not a sir, but a ma'am instead.. are not much help. However that's okay cause everybody is entitled to their own opinion. :p

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
You sir... Correct me if I'm wrong and your not a sir, but a ma'am instead.. are not much help. However that's okay cause everybody is entitled to their own opinion. :p

lol. i did not know that about NOsquid. but SHE is right. i have some luck with juice defender and juice plotter. if nothing else it tells you how much battery life you have left. also i use setcpu to underclock my phone when its idle, that helps aswell. mostly its a bunch of little things all done together that will get you the best battery life. but that will be different for you than me.

Chris3D

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
What's your personal favorites along with what you've experienced? And more importantly to me, what's given you the best battery life?

I'm not into theming, so the stock rom (or a debloated derivative of) is what I've always used. Until DJ05, I was using JT's Superclean (.4 I think) on the stock kernel and was getting about upwards of 48 hours of battery life. On DJ05, I was using the 12/12 non-Voodoo kernel from the DJ05 thread with the stock rom which I manually de-bloated and was getting great battery life - anywhere from 48 to 72 hours depending on use. On DL09, I'm using the 12/30 non-Voodoo kernel with a debloated stock rom too. Haven't been using this long enough to judge battery life, but it doesn't seem any different from DJ05... which is a good thing.

I could never figure it out, and I never got an explanation, but I consistently got poor battery life on the BlackHole rom and StupidFast kernels, and I tried each one several times independently of the other - I'd be getting decent battery life on one setup and just change the rom and nothing else and the battery life would drop. Same with the kernel - on a good setup, I'd change just the kernel, and the battery life would drop.

So, to summarize, I use as stock a rom and kernel as possible while still allowing me to remove all the preinstalled crap I don't need/want. I get zero lag and great battery life, so what more could you ask for?

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
My persoanl favorite is the leaked DL05 ROM with the leaked radio and kernel, because it fixes all the crap that 's wrong with the phone in the first place. Adryanle also pulled out all the Verizon bloat from this ROM without touching the rest of the Samsung UI.

Controversial opinions:

Speaking as someone who reads thread after thread about issues with Voodoo kernels and ROM's with so called "lag fixes", I not only do not use them but I recommend others stay away from them also. I think any perceived benefits from either of these is a placebo affect. The phone is already fast, does not lag, and gets the same mediocre battery life any other smartphone does.

There are a few ROM's out there (e.g., JT's) that strip out the Samsung TW stuff and leave you with a more stock Android experience. I could see why that would appeal to some people, but I like some of the Samsung eye candy, including the puzzle piece lock screen and the swype down radio controls. Yes, the ROM's allow you to add missing pieces back in, but when I tried to add the puzzle lock back into JT's ROM I ended up causing a never ending force close loop. Anyway, I cover up the TW home screens and app drawer with TW.

All that said Sonofskywalker has a pretty cool ROM option that allows you to build your own by selecting all the things you do want as part of your ROM, making it totally customized.

The best thing to do is download ROM Manager from the market and then use the download ROM feature to see what's available.

MolecularGraph

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
The best thing to do is download ROM Manager from the market and then use the download ROM feature to see what's available.

I've been doing that and testing out quite a few of them, the super clean ROM's are pretty cool, but I need something that wont die while I'm playing music most of the day.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
The next step is probably combining that with an undervolted kernel.

Maybe you'll find a ROM/kernel solution that will extend your battery life. I'm a hardcore user and I've never found anything that made enough difference for my usage.

I went with a different option: a spare battery and a battery only charger combo. Okay I'll shut up now :p

dlcullen

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Cory - is there a DL05 & DJ05?! I've seen info on the DJ05 and have thought about trying it, but you mention you are running DL05?!

Thanks!

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Yeah there's a DL05 which is discussed in this thread. Nobody knows if there's a difference, if any, between the 2 ROM's. I haven't noticed any but stuck with it because all the Verizon stuff was stripped out.

Reactions: dlcullen

AImbriano

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Ive flashed some of the super clean roms and various voodoo kernels in the past. But am currently on the stock dI01 rom with stock kernel in hopes that verizon would push an update and i could update on my own via ota. For some reason i am weary on using custom roms in the aspect of security issues. Wheter there are or not its just in the back of my mind. I am not considering going back to DJ05 but was wondering if there is an untouched version out there, and if i can combine the stock DJ05 along with the latest voodoo 5 kernel?

TheANARCHY

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
If only I had had done more studying up on this...

From Cory: Speaking as someone who reads thread after thread about issues with Voodoo kernels and ROM's with so called "lag fixes", I not only do not use them but I recommend others stay away from them also. I think any perceived benefits from either of these is a placebo affect. The phone is already fast, does not lag, and gets the same mediocre battery life any other smartphone does.

I wish I had been more of a thorough reader of all the issues involved with VooDoo. My experience with it was a total disaster. For sure it was my own fault. But I can only attest as to my eagerness to dive into this phone's locked up potential once I had it rooted. Lessons learned the hard way right? ;)

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
From Cory: Speaking as someone who reads thread after thread about issues with Voodoo kernels and ROM's with so called "lag fixes", I not only do not use them but I recommend others stay away from them also. I think any perceived benefits from either of these is a placebo affect. The phone is already fast, does not lag, and gets the same mediocre battery life any other smartphone does.

I wish I had been more of a thorough reader of all the issues involved with VooDoo. My experience with it was a total disaster. For sure it was my own fault. But I can only attest as to my eagerness to dive into this phone's locked up potential once I had it rooted. Lessons learned the hard way right? ;)

i feel your pain. i did the same thing with doodoo.. i mean voodoo... the only positive thing is i learned alot from the whole situation. had i know i could have jsut flashed back to stock via odin and started i would have done that instead of the countless hours spent trying to fix it, i would have gotten alot more sleep. then again i would not have learned as much.

Chris3D

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Maybe you'll find a ROM/kernel solution that will extend your battery life. I'm a hardcore user and I've never found anything that made enough difference for my usage.

From my observations, the increase in battery life comes from lowering the idle usage. The roms I've used which have had poor battery life all seemed to use a lot of power even when idle - 3, 4 even 5% per hour, even when the phone was sitting doing nothing. The roms which have been really good on battery life seem to use almost no power when idle.

That could explain your observations as well - if you use the phone heavily, you wouldn't see as much a gain from better idle power usage, since your phone spends less time idle.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
From my observations, the increase in battery life comes from lowering the idle usage. The roms I've used which have had poor battery life all seemed to use a lot of power even when idle - 3, 4 even 5% per hour, even when the phone was sitting doing nothing. The roms which have been really good on battery life seem to use almost no power when idle.

That could explain your observations as well - if you use the phone heavily, you wouldn't see as much a gain from better idle power usage, since your phone spends less time idle.

Good info. If it's in my hand, then I'm probably doing something with it.

I'm sure there will be a follow-up joke to the second sentence :p