Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default "E: failed to verify whole-file signature" During Backup

Hey guys - I followed this guide to perform a nandroid backup before I flash a custom ROM.

[Complete Guide] How To Fully Back Up And Restore Your Android Phone Using Nandroid Backup | Android News, Reviews, Applications, Games, Phones, Devices, Tips, Mods, Videos, Podcasts - Android Police

Once I got to the "Backup Current ROM" step the problem occurred. I was successfully able to reboot my phone but I'm not sure why the backup failed. Any ideas?

EDIT: Since ROM Manager has an option for the Fascinate under "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery" do I need to follow this thread?

http://forum.androidcentral.com/fasc...-recovery.html
    Last edited by jrs1035; 01-04-2011 at 11:30 AM.

Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    ROM
    Super Dark v1 (DJ05)

Quote Originally Posted by jrs1035 View Post
    Hey guys - I followed this guide to perform a nandroid backup before I flash a custom ROM.

[Complete Guide] How To Fully Back Up And Restore Your Android Phone Using Nandroid Backup | Android News, Reviews, Applications, Games, Phones, Devices, Tips, Mods, Videos, Podcasts - Android Police

Once I got to the "Backup Current ROM" step the problem occurred. I was successfully able to reboot my phone but I'm not sure why the backup failed. Any ideas?

EDIT: Since ROM Manager has an option for the Fascinate under "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery" do I need to follow this thread?

http://forum.androidcentral.com/fasc...-recovery.html
    Did you flash Clockworkmod Recovery via Odin?
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

No, I didn't. So the steps are: flash Clockworkmod Recovery via Odin then select "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery" in ROM Manager?

Why wouldn't that guide mention that step? Guess I better stick to these forums!
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    1,688 Global Posts
    ROM
    GummyCharge 1.9.1

That is correct. The CWM tar file needs to be flashed in Odin before you can flash in ROM Manager. Just one of the quirks of the Fascinate
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Thanks for the help. One more quick question -

How does flashing a custom ROM affect getting a Verizon OTA update? Will I need to revert back to my "stock" ROM (debloated, de-binged) and apply the update?

You wont even get a notification of any ota updateS. Now that your rooted your better off just visiting the forum every now and then to update your rom. Typically the devs will incorporate the update in the new roms (sometimes even before the ota is official)

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
    EPIC 4G
    ROM: QUANTUM 2.O
    KERNEL: STOCK

7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Thanks. Last one -

So I loaded Odin and it detected my phone. I checked the "PDA" checkbox and selected the .tar file then clicked start and now everything is uneditable and the Message groupbox says...

<ID:0/004> Odin v.3 engine (ID:4)..
    <ID:0/004> File analysis..
    <ID:0/004> SetupConnection..

Where do I go from here?
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Ignore my above post. I didn't realize you had to remove the battery to get into download mode

ROM
    Swapping them all out

I had this same problem, i rebooted stock with that fix all package w/o root and went from scratch, for some reason my first time rooting this phone went downhill in the custom rom area.
    Kyocera Strobe> Motorola Razor> Motorola Q> Blackberry Curve> Droid X> Fascinate>iPhone 4>iPhone 4S>iPhone 5>Verizon LG G2 and LOVIN' it.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

This is definitely a learning process, but I feel like once I do it successfully it should be smooth sailing, hopefully. I'm using this guide to upgrade to DJ05.

Fascinate Rom: DJ05 and Beyond - All You Need To Know | Mobile Technology Deals and Help

The instructions to flash the ROM are as follows:

1. once you have place the battery back into the phone, press and hold volume up and volume down at the same time.

2. Press and hold power button

3. Watch the word SAMSUNG flash once and then twice. Now release power button, but continue to hold the volume button.

4. You have now enter into CLOCKWORK Recovery Mode

5. Now go and select to install DJ05 Stock Rom.zip

Do I need to follow these same steps if I want to use JTs Super Clean ROM (DJ05) (downloaded from ROM Manager) instead of the stock DJ05 ROM? There is an option for "Install ROM from SD Card" that seems like it will install the ROM "automatically". There is also an option for Reboot into Recovery - is this for a more "manual" install?

jrs..

I followed the instructions on that site.
    I believe you only need to use Odin for the modem.tar file, what they call the radio. He goes on to say to go into clockwork recovery mode to flash rom which I did.
    However, after that I have flashed several different roms and rom themes with the "install rom from sdcard" option in rom manager. I also installed stupidfast kernel with rom manager.

Ah I just looked in the folder where I keep Odin and there are 2 .tar files to flash with odin...CWMrecovery.tar and dj05modem.tar

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Gossett View Post
    That is correct. The CWM tar file needs to be flashed in Odin before you can flash in ROM Manager. Just one of the quirks of the Fascinate
    Wow, that's what I was doing wrong! Thank you!

Im getting the error:

Failed to verify whole-file signature
    signature verification failed
    install aborted

When i try to boot the phone by holding the volume buttoms and pwr button i get the same thing.

It looks like my phone cant find the files.

help...

ROM
    Infinity & Pool Party

Quote Originally Posted by JBoogie View Post
    Im getting the error:

Failed to verify whole-file signature
    signature verification failed
    install aborted

When i try to boot the phone by holding the volume buttoms and pwr button i get the same thing.

It looks like my phone cant find the files.

help...
    What are you trying to do? What steps have you taken so far? What is your set up? ROM, kernel, modem? Are you fully stock? Go into menu=>settings=> about phone and what does it say for the following?

baseband version
    firmware version
    kernel version
    build number
    Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?

Sometimes you go to the circus...........Sometimes the circus comes to you.

Instructions on how to flash ROMs, Kernels, Patches, and Mods through clockworkmod recovery, CWM: DroidXcon's CWM Thread

If you add me on Google+, please list your AC username as a nickname so I know who you are.

Default Re: "E: failed to verify whole-file signature" During Backup

where did you get the .tar file that you flashed?

ROM
    Infinity & Pool Party

Quote Originally Posted by diizasta2010 View Post
    where did you get the .tar file that you flashed?
    Right here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/36791/CWM3_Voodoo.tar.md5
    Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?

Sometimes you go to the circus...........Sometimes the circus comes to you.

Instructions on how to flash ROMs, Kernels, Patches, and Mods through clockworkmod recovery, CWM: DroidXcon's CWM Thread

If you add me on Google+, please list your AC username as a nickname so I know who you are.

Hi fellows !

I wanted to update my Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000B when I read I need to install the ClockWork Recovery mode using Odin. In fact, looks like this is a pre-requisite to run "Backup the current Rom" option of RomManager, otherwise I get that message; "E:failed to verify whole-file signature"; "E:signature verification failed"; "Installation aborted"...

Well, now I am in trouble !

I put the phone in download mode, and start the flashing the CMRecovery.tar. The process completed successfully. The Odin status is a big green PASS!.

The problem is now the phone is in a loop displaying Samsung in "normal" font and then Galaxy S Logo.

What I can do to get the phone working again ?