fascinate shows up as cd rom

Chris3D

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
It was suggested on XDA that the problem could be in the kernel. Has anyone tried flashing the stock kernel (or another DI01 kernel) separately?

If that works, then the all-in-one package could still provide a convenient way to get back to DI01, and then just flash one of the many DI01 kernels separately to fix this issue.

You should be able to find alternate kernels in ROM Manager, or if you hadn't downloaded it, I have the stock kernel from the "How to go back to stock" thread (it's no longer available from the links in that thread), and can send it to whoever might want to try it.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
so gunner you went from DL09 and when you went back to DI01 and it stopped working and now you are back to DL09..... or did you flash to Stock DL09?

abowlofsoda

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
Mine started the moment I went to DJ05. I've counted about 5 others that got the problem on IRC.

I've been back to stock and the problem remains. So I went back to DJ05 and have lived with it a couple months now. I have been wifi exploring and wifi syncing to get media and files on to my sd card.

This tethering fix is great and i wish it was a full solution but I am grateful that wifi isn't my only hope now... it takes forever to transfer a movie!

Chris3D

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Mine started the moment I went to DJ05. I've counted about 5 others that got the problem on IRC.

I've been back to stock and the problem remains. So I went back to DJ05 and have lived with it a couple months now. I have been wifi exploring and wifi syncing to get media and files on to my sd card.

This tethering fix is great and i wish it was a full solution but I am grateful that wifi isn't my only hope now... it takes forever to transfer a movie!

Did you use that all-in-one package to go to DJ05? The reason I ask is because I've flashed DJ05 and DL09 (and back and forth several times), and my phone is fine aside from the color codes in ADB/Bash on Windows). But I've always just flashed the 3 files separately - Modem.bin, Kernel and ROM.

Just trying to pinpoint the source of the problem.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Did you use that all-in-one package to go to DJ05? The reason I ask is because I've flashed DJ05 and DL09 (and back and forth several times), and my phone is fine aside from the color codes in ADB/Bash on Windows). But I've always just flashed the 3 files separately - Modem.bin, Kernel and ROM.

i used the three part method vs the odin flash and i havnt seen this problem so perhaps they are right but its the Stock DJ05 flash and not the Stock DI01 flash that is the problem

Maybe you guys should try to flash back to DI01

abowlofsoda

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site

Nah I first flashed DJ05 the day of the leak. I spend alot of time in the IRC channel. I flashed DJ05 clean .2 first I think and the original DJ05 kernel before v2.

Also of note, I had went back to DI01 at one point and had messed with hidden menus doing a couple different factory restore codes and one of them had mounting working again. I did no further testing and satisfied I had mounted again- I went back to DJ05 and straight back into the problem.
I have no been able to duplicate my success tho.

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
so gunner you went from DL09 and when you went back to DI01 and it stopped working and now you are back to DL09..... or did you flash to Stock DL09?

i tried the di01 stock revovery. thats when the problem started. then i flashed my nandroid and then flashed dl09 modem. then reflashed the kernel from the dl09 build your own. still have the problem.

Clak

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I think he wants the kernel report, basically to show what was going on with the kernel as it loads everything. Think you'd need to use command line though. My Linux experience is limited.

zakth

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I wanted to see what Samsung had to say about this... here is the chat:

Please wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.

Chat Information You are now chatting with 'Spencer'

Spencer: Hi, thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. How may I help you today?

Visitor: Hello

Spencer: Hello.

Spencer: How are you doing today?

Visitor: Earlier I spoke with Stella about a problem with my phone showing as a CD Drive when connected to my computer.

Visitor: I am good, how are you?

Visitor: Stella had me remove the Samsung drivers from my computer, and my temp files and then restart and reinstall the drives. I did that, but my phone still shows as a CD Drive.

Spencer: I am good, thank you for asking.

Spencer: Can I put you on hold for 2 minutes while I go through your pervious conversation?

Visitor: Yes, it was with Stella today at around 9:28 AM ET

Spencer: Thank you.

Spencer: Thank you for holding.

Spencer: I have checked with the information and I see that you have performed all possible troubleshooting steps in order to resolve the issue.

Visitor: Yes

Spencer: May I know the phone model to which you are referring?

Visitor: Samsung Fascinate, from VZW

Spencer: Thank you for the information.

Spencer: Have you tried connecting the phone without the SD Card?

Visitor: Yes

Spencer: Okay.

Spencer: May I know the version of Windows you have it installed on the computer to which you are trying to connect the phone?

Visitor: Windows 7 Ultimate 64.bit

Spencer: Thank you for the information.

Visitor: It worked before on this computer but after installing your last update, dl01 I think it was called, that's when it stopped working.

Spencer: I see.

Spencer: Have you performed a factory reset on the phone after the udpate?

Spencer: update*

Visitor: Actually, I know how to fix this. This phone has so much junk installed on it such as Bing that I don't even like and can't get rid of. I'm going to take this outside right now and hit it with a hammer a few good times then go buy me a real phone from Motorola.

Spencer: I apologize for the inconvenience, being caused.

Spencer: In order to resolve the issue I recommend you to try resetting the phone to factory defaults.

Spencer: Shall provide you the steps to reset the phone?

Visitor: Sorry, back. Oh, I've reset the phone alright. It's in little pieces now. Thanks for your help though! May it rest in peace. :)

Spencer: I apologize for the inconvenience.

Spencer: Is there anything else I may assist you with?

Visitor: Well I could use some help cleaning up the phone guts lol but I'll just use a broom. Thanks for your time though.

Spencer: You are welcome.

bear_lx

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
yea that is funny... made me smile

i am having the same issue gunnermike... and my phone was previously rooted, darkhole. not to mention, my marketplace still isnt working, neither is google talk. all i wanna do is enjoy this modern marvel.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance