Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 91
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    gunnermike53's Avatar

    Posts
    3,199 Posts
    ROM
    Gummy, AOKP

    Default fascinate shows up as cd rom

    i thought it would be a good idea to flash back to stock and root using adb. well. i was wrong. i plugged it in to my pc after the stock flash and it poped up as a cd rom drive. it had 3 or 4 files. one of which was bootstrap. adb wont see the device and it wont show up as a mass storage device. i was able to reflash cwm through odin, atleast that still works. i was able to restore a fully rooted back up but i still get the cd rom and no mass storage. adb still wont see the device. i did all the uninstalling restarting and reinstalling drivers. created new user account and did it all again but no go. does the same thing on my desk top. what the crap!!! oh i was able to connect properly 30 before i flashed to stock.
    Last edited by gunnermike53; 01-06-2011 at 11:35 PM.
  2. #2  

    Default

    I've had this problem since I first got DJ05. I have tried everything I can think of. I even went back to stock and did factory reset. I've tried every usb slot on my usb hub and every usb slot on the back of my computer. I even tried it on a VM and 2 other computers in the house.

    Thinking about selling the phone as its driving me crazy having to remove the sd card and put it in a card reader to put stuff on it.
  3. #3  
    4gvn4lyf#AC's Avatar

    Posts
    10 Posts
    ROM
    Android Revolution HD

    Default

    With debugging on, power phone off, plug into computer and power phone on. That should allow the computer to see your phone.

    Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by 11:
    + Show/Hide list of the thanked
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    gunnermike53's Avatar

    Posts
    3,199 Posts
    ROM
    Gummy, AOKP

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4gvn4lyf View Post
    With debugging on, power phone off, plug into computer and power phone on. That should allow the computer to see your phone.

    Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
    ok mr android nanite, you are my hero!!!! thanks man. i am just dumb enough to try it all again tomorrow. its my bed time now. but thanks again.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  
    gunnermike53's Avatar

    Posts
    3,199 Posts
    ROM
    Gummy, AOKP

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by abowlofsoda View Post
    I've had this problem since I first got DJ05. I have tried everything I can think of. I even went back to stock and did factory reset. I've tried every usb slot on my usb hub and every usb slot on the back of my computer. I even tried it on a VM and 2 other computers in the house.

    Thinking about selling the phone as its driving me crazy having to remove the sd card and put it in a card reader to put stuff on it.
    do the thing the guy said, it worked for me.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  
    gunnermike53's Avatar

    Posts
    3,199 Posts
    ROM
    Gummy, AOKP

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4gvn4lyf View Post
    With debugging on, power phone off, plug into computer and power phone on. That should allow the computer to see your phone.

    Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
    forgiven for life?? nice.
    Thanked by:
  7. #7  
    4gvn4lyf#AC's Avatar

    Posts
    10 Posts
    ROM
    Android Revolution HD

    Default

    You are welcome but just passing on what I've learned here and in the xda forums


    Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  
    gunnermike53's Avatar

    Posts
    3,199 Posts
    ROM
    Gummy, AOKP

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4gvn4lyf View Post
    You are welcome but just passing on what I've learned here and in the xda forums


    Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
    arent we all.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  
    gunnermike53's Avatar

    Posts
    3,199 Posts
    ROM
    Gummy, AOKP

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by abowlofsoda View Post
    I've had this problem since I first got DJ05. I have tried everything I can think of. I even went back to stock and did factory reset. I've tried every usb slot on my usb hub and every usb slot on the back of my computer. I even tried it on a VM and 2 other computers in the house.

    Thinking about selling the phone as its driving me crazy having to remove the sd card and put it in a card reader to put stuff on it.
    if this works for you let us know. and dont forget the thanks button.
    Thanked by:
  10. #10  

    Default

    Holy chit, it worked! You don't know how happy I am!
    Just tried adb and thats working again too.


    Thank you!
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  
    gunnermike53's Avatar

    Posts
    3,199 Posts
    ROM
    Gummy, AOKP

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by abowlofsoda View Post
    Holy chit, it worked! You don't know how happy I am!
    Just tried adb and thats working again too.


    Thank you!
    isnt it annoying how easy it was. dont forget to thank 4gvn4lif, he deserves it.
  12. #12  
    Chris3D's Avatar

    Posts
    647 Posts
    Global Posts
    646 Global Posts

    Default

    Is this a permanent fix for that issue? Meaning, do you have to initially start the phone connected to the computer every time, or after doing it once, is the phone correctly recognized from then on - even after untethered reboots.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  
    gunnermike53's Avatar

    Posts
    3,199 Posts
    ROM
    Gummy, AOKP

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris3D View Post
    Is this a permanent fix for that issue? Meaning, do you have to initially start the phone connected to the computer every time, or after doing it once, is the phone correctly recognized from then on - even after untethered reboots.
    so far it seems permanent. i am gonna try flashing back to stock again, and then we shall see.
  14. #14  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris3D View Post
    Is this a permanent fix for that issue? Meaning, do you have to initially start the phone connected to the computer every time, or after doing it once, is the phone correctly recognized from then on - even after untethered reboots.
    Mine works as much as I want until the phone is rebooted... has to be tethered again.
  15. #15  
    Chris3D's Avatar

    Posts
    647 Posts
    Global Posts
    646 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by abowlofsoda View Post
    Mine works as much as I want until the phone is rebooted... has to be tethered again.
    I worried about that, and it's why I've held off on that full ODIN restore package, since it seems to be the source of the problem.

    This, and the ADB color code thing, are a little troubling - clearly somethings are being misconfigured and no one seems to know exactly what. While the patch Andrenalyn posted is a workaround, it's just that - a workaround. I'd feel better if it actually addressed what was causing the problem as opposed to basically putting a band-aid over it.

    It's nice to know this tethered boot works, but since it's essentially temporary, I don't consider it a solution at all.
  16. #16  
    DroidXcon's Avatar

    Posts
    11,644 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

    Default

    So reinstalling the drivers doesnt work for any of you?
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  
    gunnermike53's Avatar

    Posts
    3,199 Posts
    ROM
    Gummy, AOKP

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris3D View Post
    Is this a permanent fix for that issue? Meaning, do you have to initially start the phone connected to the computer every time, or after doing it once, is the phone correctly recognized from then on - even after untethered reboots.
    ive been playing around. here is what i have found. if i just disconect, then i have to reboot. if i safely remove hardware(right click eject on icon on task bar), then i can connect and disconnect all day.
  18. #18  

    Default

    I can connect and disconnect all day without having to safely remove hardware option... however, like I said before- if I have to reboot my phone for any reason then I have to do the trick all over again.
    Just once and its back to connect and disconnect all day.

    I'm working on figuring out the problem and I've uninstalled the drivers, reinstalled them, updated them to the newest, etc etc.
    Been playing in Devices and Printers window and Device Manager for weeks trying to figure it out.
    But since this new development I'm finding myself back to retesting everything i've been thru WITH this trick.

    I'm determined to figure it out
  19. #19  
    Chris3D's Avatar

    Posts
    647 Posts
    Global Posts
    646 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gunnermike53 View Post
    ive been playing around. here is what i have found. if i just disconect, then i have to reboot. if i safely remove hardware(right click eject on icon on task bar), then i can connect and disconnect all day.
    But if you reboot the phone untethered, and then connect it to your computer, what happens? Does it again appear as a CD drive, indicating the tethered boot is a temporary solution?
  20. #20  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris3D View Post
    But if you reboot the phone untethered, and then connect it to your computer, what happens? Does it again appear as a CD drive, indicating the tethered boot is a temporary solution?
    Yep, thats exactly what I was saying just didn't know how to state it like that
  21. #21  

    Default

    Ok so I connect the device after a reboot, untethered and I uninstall the Samsung CD-ROM device that appeared in Device Manager.

    I powered down the phone.

    I powered up the phone untethered and it installed the CD-ROM drivers again.

    I'm at a loss on why its doing that.
  22. #22  
    DroidXcon's Avatar

    Posts
    11,644 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

    Default

    what happens when you put it in debugging mode?
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
  23. #23  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DroidXcon View Post
    what happens when you put it in debugging mode?
    That was with debugging mode on
  24. #24  

    Default

    Err no it wasnt.. retesting
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  
    gunnermike53's Avatar

    Posts
    3,199 Posts
    ROM
    Gummy, AOKP

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris3D View Post
    But if you reboot the phone untethered, and then connect it to your computer, what happens? Does it again appear as a CD drive, indicating the tethered boot is a temporary solution?
    good question. give me a minute.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions