Page 1 of 14 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Gummy, AOKP

Default Discussion of the Fascinate root How-To

this is the best how to ive seen so far. this should be a sticky.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    446 Global Posts

Good guide. Nice work!
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Thanks guys much appreciated compliments

ATTENTION!!!! I have added a Section on Unrooting it is super easy IMO i hope this thread serves everyone well
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
    Thanked by 3:

Okay, since I can't seem to find anyone else discussing my problem already, this is what I've run into.

Last night I followed DroidXcon's tutorial to root DL09 via one click. Everything seemed okay. Drivers installed fine, START_ROOT booted right up and detected my phone.

*NOTE* I did NOT run START_ROOT from C:\FascinateRoot_v02 as I noticed you mention on this thread's tutorial. Not sure if that had anything to do with it.

START_ROOT copied all of the files to my phone's SD card successfully and restarted the phone. The media sync gave me a little trouble until I found out how to disable it. START_ROOT said that the exploit was successful, but I noticed several lines stating something along the lines of: mount permission not allowed. I saw that someone had posted the exact same error, but unfortunately cannot find it anymore.

Since it said the exploit worked, but also said that there were permissions not allowed, I wasn't sure if I had rooted or not. I tried installing Super User and ROM manager to see if it worked. Both installed fine, but ROM manager tells me that "Superuser was not found at /system/xbin/su" and then suggests I google search a "how to" on rooting my phone, lol.

That brings me to today. A new problem popped up this morning when I tried again. Every time I plug my phone in, even in debug mode, Internet Explorer opens to the verizon wireless homepage, and begs to be my default search engine. Then a little pop-up appears asking me if I want to install verizon's new software to mount my SD card. after clicking no and closing Internet Exploder, I try running START_ROOT and it no longer detects my phone.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers, and tried moving FascinateRoot_v02 to the C:\. So far, nothing has worked.

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by SRex View Post
    Okay, since I can't seem to find anyone else discussing my problem already, this is what I've run into.

Last night I followed DroidXcon's tutorial to root DL09 via one click. Everything seemed okay. Drivers installed fine, START_ROOT booted right up and detected my phone.

*NOTE* I did NOT run START_ROOT from C:\FascinateRoot_v02 as I noticed you mention on this thread's tutorial. Not sure if that had anything to do with it.

START_ROOT copied all of the files to my phone's SD card successfully and restarted the phone. The media sync gave me a little trouble until I found out how to disable it. START_ROOT said that the exploit was successful, but I noticed several lines stating something along the lines of: mount permission not allowed. I saw that someone had posted the exact same error, but unfortunately cannot find it anymore.

Since it said the exploit worked, but also said that there were permissions not allowed, I wasn't sure if I had rooted or not. I tried installing Super User and ROM manager to see if it worked. Both installed fine, but ROM manager tells me that "Superuser was not found at /system/xbin/su" and then suggests I google search a "how to" on rooting my phone, lol.

That brings me to today. A new problem popped up this morning when I tried again. Every time I plug my phone in, even in debug mode, Internet Explorer opens to the verizon wireless homepage, and begs to be my default search engine. Then a little pop-up appears asking me if I want to install verizon's new software to mount my SD card. after clicking no and closing Internet Exploder, I try running START_ROOT and it no longer detects my phone.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers, and tried moving FascinateRoot_v02 to the C:\. So far, nothing has worked.
    Get out of here, that sounds shady at best...ill address this in about 2 hours, im late for work unless someone else can help you .

Thanks so much! I don't mind waiting a little while to get this figured out. From what I've seen in the forums, you're doing a fantastic job.

I remembered something important! Before I had trouble getting ROM Manager to work, I used Odin to flash Clockworkmod onto my SD. Don't know it that helps or not.

At this point, I'm considering a factory DL09 restore via Odin. I already have the .md5, so that's an option, if you think it could help. But I'm unable to access my SD, so I won't be able to remove CWM after restoring it...

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Thanks so much! I don't mind waiting a little while to get this figured out. From what I've seen in the forums, you're doing a fantastic job.

I remembered something important! Before I had trouble getting ROM Manager to work, I used Odin to flash Clockworkmod onto my SD. Don't know it that helps or not.

At this point, I'm considering a factory DL09 restore via Odin. I already have the .md5, so that's an option, if you think it could help. But I'm unable to access my SD, so I won't be able to remove CWM after restoring it...
    ok so im at work and everyone is still here so my advice will be fragmented... for everyones future reference in this new thread i have added a trouble shooting section to some of the methods. if you look there things like the permission issue was address.

that stemmed from not gaining temporary root. rebooting your phone and starting the process over could have helped this.....ok so loss of USB. this has been a common issue covered in another thread found Here

In the mean time try this, with your phone in debbugging mode, while still plugged in, reboot your phone. this should give you a temporary solutions.

then try rooting again

in a situation like this i would go with ADB rooting vs One click.
    Thanked by:

So rebooting the phone while plugged in gave me temp root access, but every time I run one click it says

** Successfully exploited, installing permanent root files and deleting temp files
    error: device not found
    * Restarting your phone now.

Looks like I'll be trying ADB method next. :P

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

So rebooting the phone while plugged in gave me temp root access, but every time I run one click it says

** Successfully exploited, installing permanent root files and deleting temp files

Yeah sorry you are losing adb connection during the reboot. after the first reboot during one click you need to stop and make sure you have restablished connection... if you cant restablish connection youre kind of stuck.

good luck with adb method
    Last edited by DroidXcon; 01-17-2011 at 07:05 PM.

ROM
    ComRom 1.3

Droidx.....thanks for everything you have posted here on rooting. I was able to succesfully root using the method you posted for Adrynalynes thread. I do have a question that I have read about concerning lagfix. Should I or should I not have this installed along with clockwork recovery? Thanks for any advice

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by dhdmart View Post
    Droidx.....thanks for everything you have posted here on rooting. I was able to succesfully root using the method you posted for Adrynalynes thread. I do have a question that I have read about concerning lagfix. Should I or should I not have this installed along with clockwork recovery? Thanks for any advice
    dhdmart, im glad that this thread was useful to you. But as far as lagfix is concerned i would have to honestly say i have no idea. that question is much better directed towards Adrynalyne. i never looked into it since my phone didnt have lag with most of these custom ROMs so i never felt the need to look at it. I'm sorry if i am not of any help in this area.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

ROM
    Gummy, AOKP

its that stupid vcast crap they put in the phone. make sure debugging is turned on. set your usb settings to mass storage. plug phone into pc. restart phone. once phone is up, try the root again.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

ROM
    Gummy, AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by dhdmart View Post
    try non voodoo first. get comfortable flashing stuff to your phone. if your phone is runnnig well for with little or no lag, no need for voodoo. from what i understand voodoo is best used when you do a mass amount of rss. other wise stay away.

Just wanted to say thanks again for all the work you've done on here! As per your recommendation I tried the ADB method, which worked almost perfectly. I had to do a battery pull halfway through, but I retained temp root and was able to continue from there. Now I just have to figure out how to flash a ROM...

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Just wanted to say thanks again for all the work you've done on here! As per your recommendation I tried the ADB method, which worked almost perfectly. I had to do a battery pull halfway through, but I retained temp root and was able to continue from there. Now I just have to figure out how to flash a ROM...
    Welcome,
    and there's a thread for that <lol
    http://forum.androidcentral.com/fasc...flash-rom.html
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

ROM
    Gummy, AOKP

just in case you need hand

[How-To] Root your Fascinate
    Last edited by Chris Kerrigan; 01-17-2011 at 09:26 PM.

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by gunnermike53 View Post
    just in case you need hand

:o

Thank you DroidXcon for all of your time and work in these root methods!

I have a question in regards to root verification. I am fresh at rooting so bear with me.

In another thread I have read it said to download a program called "Connectbot". Connect to local and enter "SU" at the $ prompt. If rooted the "$" prompt should turn into a "#" prompt.

After struggling with the one click method and manual input and after running some errands i tried titanium back up and it shows that I am rooted and operates as normal (as far as I can tell).

While trying the prior method with connectbot, it still shows "$" prompt. Which is not rooted. I did verify that this worked after I rooted prior to the DL09 update. I did not us titanium prior to the DL09 update.

Long story short... I am rooted right?

Thanks for your time and advice.

I used the One Click root from post #2 of this thread ... worked like a charm, just have to be patient while things happen. Thanks for your work everyone.

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

[QUOTE=jettadriver97;540193]QUOTE]

if when you open an you need root permission for and it asks you to allow or deny super user permissions then yes. If since then you have rebooted and it no longer grants you super user permissions, that means you were only temporarly rooted and i suggest just simply running through the method again.

Quote Originally Posted by teriau View Post
    I used the One Click root from post #2 of this thread ... worked like a charm, just have to be patient while things happen. Thanks for your work everyone.

very welcome
    Banned

Hey DroidX, think you can get on the #samsung-fascinate IRC and help me out? (:

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by makav3ll1 View Post
    Hey DroidX, think you can get on the #samsung-fascinate IRC and help me out? (:
    Im at work , so i have to be on here on the sly, whats the problem.?
    Banned

Oh no its fine, dont worry about it then. nothing just trying to do this step by step, had some problems earlier and the guys on there couldnt figure out, but I found another chat room, Ill keep looking.

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Well where are you stuck. Maybe I can help
    Quote Originally Posted by makav3ll1 View Post
    Oh no its fine, dont worry about it then. nothing just trying to do this step by step, had some problems earlier and the guys on there couldnt figure out, but I found another chat room, Ill keep looking.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
    Banned

No where really, just looking for someone to guide me, Found some guys telling me not to use 1 click and guided me through putting a bunch of zips on my sd card, then using odin to install them or something, but my phone wouldnt connect to odin when in download mode, and then they all had to leave. And now im on the IRC and no one wants to help
Page 1 of 14 1234 ... LastLast