1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Camera mod? Button press...

I am looking for a way to Press the Button or take the picture with the volume key(s). If I want to turn the camera on myself and take a picture it is very hard to press the button.

And before I get the conceited comments- I have a 3 year old and a gazillion pictures with him in it alone... want to look back in the future and see his dear old dad in some of the pics with him!

Can someone recommend a mod or even an app that allows this functionality?

I contacted a couple of app developers from the app store about it that make camera apps but they do not seem interested in adding this because they are using it for zoom. Can't the settings have the option to switch to shutter instead of zoom?

Am I the only one that wants this?

Global Posts
    961 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10/Devil

You're not alone. But I think more people just result to different ways around it. For self shots, they'll use the timer so you don't have to try to hit that magic spot on the screen you can't see.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Hyperactive 3yo ain't waitin for no timer!

I remember when an app developer for iPhone snuck in some code (to pass the app approval) into their camera app that allowed someone to go to their website and get a code to put in the app that allowed the volume button to be activated for the shutter.
    They got away with it for a couple week and Apple found out and shut it down because your not allowed to modify system buttons.

The news made the rounds on the tech sites and it became a hugely sought after feature. Many people started jailbreaking that never JB before just to get that feature.

I would of thought Android world would of got hold of that idea and ran with it to put it in Apple's face. Guess not.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    1,688 Global Posts
    ROM
    GummyCharge 1.9.1

Retrocamera allows you to assign a hardware button to take pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Gossett View Post
    Retrocamera allows you to assign a hardware button to take pictures
    Thanks - I was looking for a way to do this also.

Update;
    Not what I was looking for. The fact that you can choose to use either one of the volume button is cool, but I don't like the pic quality.

The thing is - If they(developer) can modify the volume buttons to use to capture pics, then can't they make an app with the same pic quality. Price doesn't matter to me. I would get it.

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by rushrl View Post
    Update;
    Not what I was looking for. The fact that you can choose to use either one of the volume button is cool, but I don't like the pic quality.

The thing is - If they(developer) can modify the volume buttons to use to capture pics, then can't they make an app with the same pic quality. Price doesn't matter to me. I would get it.
    if you root you can use
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by DroidXcon View Post
    if you root you can use
    Thanks for the suggestion. I just purchased it. Looks like you can only use the soft keys. I'm still on the hunt for using the volume keys.

Ya that RetroCamera worked great but it doesn't take normal pictures.

Global Posts
    961 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10/Devil

Quote Originally Posted by abowlofsoda View Post
    Hyperactive 3yo ain't waitin for no timer!
    You can set one for 2 seconds. By the time you tap the shutter and get the phone an arms length away, it'll be going off. Not like there'd be much down time with that. I do understand why you would just want a physical button, I'm just offering suggestions for the meantime.

Default Re: Camera mod? Button press...

I just got word from the developer of "lgCameraPro" that he will add the ability to map the volume keys to the shutter button in the next release (in a few days).

lgCameraPro is a great picture/video app with many features - check it out in the market!

ROM
    EH03 SC3/Lean Kernel

Try Vignette. It does what your looking to do and the picture quality looks fine to me. You are not forced to use any type of filter, although there are plenty available. Seems like a pretty good app. I'm still using the free demo version. I'm not sure what the $3.99 paid version contains that the demo doesn't, but I haven't missed the features, whatever they are.

One thing you could always do is flash Community Rom 2.1. They actually made it to where it is set to the power on/off button. I have felt your pain before. But now that I'm running the Community Rom, I don't have to worry about it. Just a suggestion, if you aren't afraid of doing some hacking.

Sent from my Fascinate using Tapatalk.

Quote Originally Posted by adellc3 View Post
    One thing you could always do is flash Community Rom 2.1. They actually made it to where it is set to the power on/off button. I have felt your pain before. But now that I'm running the Community Rom, I don't have to worry about it. Just a suggestion, if you aren't afraid of doing some hacking.

There used to be a zip that routed the power button to become the shutter, I just looked and couldnt find it anymore. It might be outdated. but yes flash com rom 1.3-2.1 and will have the power button as your shutter, and a much better phone!

Edit: here is the link to the posting about the zip....
    Hit The "Thanks" button If I have helped you! It makes me

Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

+1 for UKB 2.1. The power button works great for taking self shots.

Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    ROM
    TSMPoolParty V1.4.1

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeysuncle View Post
    +1 for UKB 2.1. The power button works great for taking self shots.
    Love being able to use the power button to take pics!

ROM
    EH03 SC3/Lean Kernel

Quote Originally Posted by adellc3 View Post

Thankyou so much for the info on that feature! I've been sporting com rom 2.1 for some time and had no idea they built that feature in.