Can't copy/move even with root?

darthbubba

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Apologies if this is covered in some thread I missed...

I have root access, and installed root explorer. I want to move my mp3 alarms, notifications, and ringtones to /system/media/audio so they don't show up in Music Player anymore.

But I can't. When I try to move or copy, the files don't show up. I checked the folder permissions, and they're all rwxr-xr-x, and it won't let me change them.

Any ideas?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site

I have root access, and installed root explorer. I want to move my mp3 alarms, notifications, and ringtones to /system/media/audio so they don't show up in Music Player anymore.

But I can't. When I try to move or copy, the files don't show up. I checked the folder permissions, and they're all rwxr-xr-x, and it won't let me change them.

Any ideas?

get root explorer from the market, then once you open it at the top there is a button Mount R/O , Mount R/W, click that

darthbubba

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
get root explorer from the market, then once you open it at the top there is a button Mount R/O , Mount R/W, click that

Already did that, no joy.

I just rebooted in CWM Recovery and selected "Fix Permissions" from the Advanced menu, and wiped the Dalvik Cache. Now I can set permissions on the folders, but files still aren't being copied.

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Already did that, no joy.

I just rebooted in CWM Recovery and selected "Fix Permissions" from the Advanced menu, and wiped the Dalvik Cache. Now I can set permissions on the folders, but files still aren't being copied.

why dont you try flashing a new rom. you will have to setup your phone again, but if you just rooted and are working with the stock rom from vzw you may run into some problems like that. i did. when you flash a custom rom its deblaoted and deodexed. it will run smoother. oh, and it will fix your problem.

darthbubba

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
why dont you try flashing a new rom. you will have to setup your phone again, but if you just rooted and are working with the stock rom from vzw you may run into some problems like that. i did. when you flash a custom rom its deblaoted and deodexed. it will run smoother. oh, and it will fix your problem.

I've mulled over that possibility. I have TiBackup Pro, so no worries on apps and data. Contacts are backed up thru VZW, so that's covered.

Gonna try the StupidFast one for DL09...wish me luck! :)

(On a side note: This is my first true smartphone after several years of semi-smart ones like the enV, Voyager, and enV Touch. I *really* miss BitPIM, specifically the ability to edit contacts and assign ringtones from the Windows desktop app. Is there any equivalent in the Android world?)

Sheepdog Elite

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
(On a side note: This is my first true smartphone after several years of semi-smart ones like the enV, Voyager, and enV Touch. I *really* miss BitPIM, specifically the ability to edit contacts and assign ringtones from the Windows desktop app. Is there any equivalent in the Android world?)

You can edit them on your desktop by logging into your gmail account and using the contact book there. Your contacts sync both ways.

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I've mulled over that possibility. I have TiBackup Pro, so no worries on apps and data. Contacts are backed up thru VZW, so that's covered.

Gonna try the StupidFast one for DL09...wish me luck! :)

well, good luck. but stupidfast is a kernel. there is superclean and superdark which are both roms. oh and i cant forget my new fav rom Rubik 1.7.

Sta11i0n

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site

Any ideas?

Don't feel bad that you can't move media to that folder because if you did, the phone wouldn't find it during media scanning, thus, they wouldn't be usable. Now you should still be able to move other files. Can you copy files from system/app to your sd card? Try a bloat file like the blockbuster apk.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy