CIFS Manager and FroYo

Chris3D

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Not sure how many here use CIFS Manager to mount network Samba shares, but here's what you'll need to get it working in 2.2.

On a stock kernel (without CIFS support), you need to load a kernel module, but the ones for 2.1 aren't compatible with the 2.2 kernel. So, download the attached file, unzip and place the two files on your SD card somewhere, for example /sdcard/cifs.

In CIFS Manager, go into settings and check "Load cifs module" and "load via insmod". Next, you need to specify where these two files are, just enter the two paths seperated by a colon, for example:

/sdcard/cifs/slow-work.ko:/sdcard/cifs/cifs.ko

You should be good to go. This was the only thing I was missing in 2.2.

noxqzs

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
thanks for the file and instruction. worked first time.

have you used Astro or ES file explorer to browse samba shares?

Chris3D

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
thanks for the file and instruction. worked first time.

have you used Astro or ES file explorer to browse samba shares?

Cool, glad it worked. I was worried that I'd be stuck without it until non-stock kernels with CIFS support built in came out.

For a file manager, I use Root Explorer, never tried either of the ones you mentioned. I've read conflicting things about mount points - some say not to mount shares to a directory on the SD card, others have without problems. I'll have to experiment with it, because then you wouldn't need to use a root file manager to access the files.

Last edited:

markemark

May 12, 2011
Visit site
These instructions are terrific, however I get no joy with my rooted Droid Xtreme. I'm running stock 2.3.3 and I can browse my samba shares with no problem. I tried another app, MountManager, which lets you see the modules loaded in the system, and the two files are not loaded. I tried pasting them into my /system/lib/modules folder and rebooting, but that didn't work either.

I'm guessing that my kernel needs a new version of these files, but I would love to hear any suggestions.

Chris3D

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for this, much appreciated.

Cool, glad it was helpful.

These instructions are terrific, however I get no joy with my rooted Droid Xtreme. I'm running stock 2.3.3 and I can browse my samba shares with no problem. I tried another app, MountManager, which lets you see the modules loaded in the system, and the two files are not loaded. I tried pasting them into my /system/lib/modules folder and rebooting, but that didn't work either.

I think the .ko files are device specific, so you would need to find equivalents specifically for your Droid.

ZiggyBoomBox

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Not sure how many here use CIFS Manager to mount network Samba shares, but here's what you'll need to get it working in 2.2.

On a stock kernel (without CIFS support), you need to load a kernel module, but the ones for 2.1 aren't compatible with the 2.2 kernel. So, download the attached file, unzip and place the two files on your SD card somewhere, for example /sdcard/cifs.

In CIFS Manager, go into settings and check "Load cifs module" and "load via insmod". Next, you need to specify where these two files are, just enter the two paths seperated by a colon, for example:

You should be good to go. This was the only thing I was missing in 2.2.
Thanks for the tip on how to correctly mount slow-work & cifs

testuser2

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
not sure how many here use cifs manager to mount network samba shares, but here's what you'll need to get it working in 2.2.

On a stock kernel (without cifs support), you need to load a kernel module, but the ones for 2.1 aren't compatible with the 2.2 kernel. So, download the attached file, unzip and place the two files on your sd card somewhere, for example /sdcard/cifs.

In cifs manager, go into settings and check "load cifs module" and "load via insmod". Next, you need to specify where these two files are, just enter the two paths seperated by a colon, for example:

you should be good to go. This was the only thing i was missing in 2.2.
bump for file

touchsmartnz

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
i keep getting a seg fault? when trying to mount, running a samsung 10.1 P7500 with rooted honeycomb 3.1

====fixed - to play movies from a samba share i now use BS Player lite in lan mode

Last edited:

killjoy662

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Hey I just joined and I still seem to be having problems mounting my network drive. I have a Droid DNA model number HTC6435LVW, with android Version 4.1.1 software number 2.06.605.1 710RD. I keep getting the error message Mounting the share has failed with an error. mount: no such device. Any Suggestions?