HOLY CRAP!!! Look what XDA did to sonofskywalker!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Hooray for XDA!

I have no problem with developers who accept donations. They need to buy phones, cables, server space, etc, and time = money. Those who put out quality work deserve a few bucks from everyone who uses it.

But charging for early access, or stunts like a paid app to get new versions is total BS. Especially when it's someone else's copyrighted material they are redistributing. Those people need to be ostracized from the Android community.

Reactions: Phil Nickinson

MonkeyGrass

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
He was asking for upfront donations. :/ If you want to sell something, put it up on the market. Not a dev community forum.

Pretty clear that's a big no-no over there. Hate it for him, but there are half a dozen other sites that will gladly allow him to post. I personally think asking people to pay for ROMS is a bit ridiculous, not to mention, taking open source code, plus Sammy's proprietary code, adding a bunch of other people's mods and apk's, and acting like you've "written" or "invented" something worth paying for. Weak. Especially a first, likely bug-filled released based off a test beta kernel/leak. Sorry, I don't think he'll have many takers lining up to pay for that. Especially with the stellar work Adryn and jt are doing for FREE.

Sta11i0n

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Agreed. Don't put it like XDA was being mean to skywalker. He totally asked for that one. Sadly for him, he just lost close to all of his credibility in the process.

piersol

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I don't know. He did release it to everybody, just gave a jump start to anyone who wanted to donate. It was his first time doing it this way, its not like he has a pattern of doing it that way.

I guess I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt.

I do think it was handled poorly tho. Why not tell him that he could not release it there and close his thread as soon as he posted it 2 days ago? Why do it once he posted the rom?

MonkeyGrass

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Because he wasn't able to try and solicit until he had a ROM to post?

Maybe the XDA crew thought he would maybe reads the TOS and backtrack by asking for donations instead of requiring payment?

Because talking/posting about doing something against the rules is a different beast than actually doing it?

There's a ton of reasons. And it's a shame that he chose this course instead of just putting out good work and letting the people decide if it's worth paying for by donating.

piersol

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
i guess so. I can see that side of the argument.

What it all comes down to is that he broke the rules, and nobody has any patience anymore. Everybody has to have everything right now. I was content waiting the 48 hours to get it. If someone can't control themselves and runs to join a pay forum, let them I say.

ayhowarya

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I don't see the problem in what he did. He put it up 48 hours early for people who wanted to pay. He then followed his word and released it later for free. Hosting is expensive, why not try something like this? If any other dev did this, I certainly wouldn't have a problem. It wasn't like you're forced to pay, you can choose to wait and get it for free. He was looking for someone to be nice and pay a bit upfront. He was not forcing anybody to pay, however.

stimr2

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I understand why XDA did what they did. But I still love Sonofskywalker3's roms because you can customize it to your tastes. I also don't mind giving donations to Fascinate devs. Because they're not in it for the money unlike Verizon and Samsung.

robertesteele

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
Seriously, you guys are mad. That is the dumbest thing I have heard. He gives people that donate and help him out an earlier release than those who want it for free and you are pissed. IT's not like he is saying oh you have to pay to use my work which I know isn't all his own work it is a compilation of others work too. But it isn't like he is saying pay or you can't have anything I put out. He is saying thank you to those who pay by letting them have early access. If you want to be pissed about it and not use his ROM's that is cool but it is your loss. His ROM's are awesome and he does a lot of hard work, it's not like he is trying to take advantage of you and get rich off his ROM's. I can't wait to see what he does for my thunderbolt. Thanks SOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney