Page 4 of 170 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Quote Originally Posted by DroidXcon View Post
    Yup,,,, think of the kernel as a driver, helps the hardware and software communicate
    This is the best description of a Kernel yet. I didn't understand it until you just said that. Thanks DroidXcon!

ROM
    Infinity & Pool Party

Quote Originally Posted by DroidXcon View Post
    Yup,,,, think of the kernel as a driver, helps the hardware and software communicate
    Shazam!
    "A bolt of lightning has just struck me head, I've had an apostrophe"

"Don't you mean an epiphany?"
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #78  

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by willenium_1217 View Post
    What is the point of the update.zip file on my SD Card. I want to do this, but this is my last doubt. I am downloading the EB01 file as we speak. What do I need to do with the update.zip file. Also, I want to download the AOSP mods like the lock screen and such, how do I install that? Thanks!
    the update.zip is so that you can enter clockwork since i have it preinstalled on this flash....from clockwork you will be able to flash those extras that you want
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato

ROM
    Infinity & Pool Party

To steal from DroidXcon's analogy earlier, if I am understanding this correctly, the update.zip file is the key to the gate that gets you into the goodness that is the clockwork recovery world
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #80  

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

This is the best description of a Kernel yet. I didn't understand it until you just said that. Thanks DroidXcon!
    You are welcome, but NOTE: that is not exactly a fair equiavalent of what a kernel is but its a great analogy, to put it in simple terms. I make catch some heat for it....another description would be a kernel is a software version of a CPU.

I get it! I think. So when I flash those other zip files, the update.zip doesn't need to be touched either? It is more or less a placeholder to make sure I am able to flash? BTW, DroidXcon and Adrynalyne are awesome! If this works, OTA updates are finished with me! This is awesome!

ROM
    Infinity & Pool Party

I get it! I think. So when I flash those other zip files, the update.zip doesn't need to be touched either? It is more or less a placeholder to make sure I am able to flash? BTW, DroidXcon and Adrynalyne are awesome! If this works, OTA updates are finished with me! This is awesome!
    Once the update.zip is on your sd card you will come to a screen with blue lettering when you first boot into clockwork recovery. Hit the volume down button once so apply sdcard:update.zip is highlighted and hit the home key. This will take you into red clockwork recovery which is what you need to flash anything in Froyo. That is the only way you will be "touching" the update.zip once it is on your sd card

Quote Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
    Once the update.zip is on your sd card you will come to a screen with blue lettering when you first boot into clockwork recovery. Hit the volume down button once so apply sdcard:update.zip is highlighted and hit the home key. This will take you into red clockwork recovery which is what you need to flash anything in Froyo. That is the only way you will be "touching" the update.zip once it is on your sd card
    So then after I hit the update.zip file it will then take me to where I can flash the other fun files I need to flash?!
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Infinity & Pool Party

So then after I hit the update.zip file it will then take me to where I can flash the other fun files I need to flash?!
    yes, once you are in red cwm just scroll to install zip from sd card, find the roms you downloaded to your sd card and want to flash, highlight one and hit either the power button or the back button. When you are done flashing the one or ones you want, hit the menu button to go back to the main red cwm page where you can reboot your phone. Enjoy! But be warned, it gets addicting. It is a disease known by two common names - gunnering or sheepdogging.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
    yes, once you are in red cwm just scroll to install zip from sd card, find the roms you downloaded to your sd card and want to flash, highlight one and hit either the power button or the back button. When you are done flashing the one or ones you want, hit the menu button to go back to the main red cwm page where you can reboot your phone. Enjoy! But be warned, it gets addicting. It is a disease known by two common names - gunnering or sheepdogging.
    My poor wife. She was competing against Angry Birds, now this. Oh well! Perfect. This is what I needed. I am officially on Froyo on my phone. Now to just re-download all my stuff. Android Central is the best. Thanks to you all again!

Beware. .my battery life still sucks (it rocked on anything prior to froyo) and my wifi drops for no reason. Fed up w sammy and vzw.

ROM
    Infinity & Pool Party

Quote Originally Posted by French View Post
    Beware. .my battery life still sucks (it rocked on anything prior to froyo) and my wifi drops for no reason. Fed up w sammy and vzw.
    Been there done that. Been numerous times I got so frustrated I wanted to throw my phone. Don't let it get to you. Take it from me, it gets soooo much better and easier. Just keep reading the forums and asking questions. There are a couple of methods in this thread that people have had some success with:

http://forum.androidcentral.com/veri...w-battery.html

The method that actually worked best for me was this:

Follow the battery life thread instructions about charging to 100%, power off and keep it charging til it hits 100% again, turn it back on, charge back to 100%.

Then power off, reset battery stats, and run your battery down to 5-7% off that single charge. Plug back in, and charge back to 100% (preferably with the phone off, like overnight).

Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    ROM
    Bugless Beast 4.1.1

I just put on EB01 and went to camera and it says I do not have the latest firmware. Which one do I do Phone/CAM FW Ver Check or Phone FW Ver Check or Phone to CAM FW Write?

does long pressing the capacitive search button still not bring up voice search at all for anyone else? i'm curious if it's a bug or a programming change
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #90  

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider5666 View Post
    I just put on EB01 and went to camera and it says I do not have the latest firmware. Which one do I do Phone/CAM FW Ver Check or Phone FW Ver Check or Phone to CAM FW Write?
    Phone to cam fw write
    Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    32 Global Posts

You want the Phone to CAM FW Write.

Rick

OK guys i got the thing flashed over to EB01. I DO NOT have clock work installed so what do I need to do? Sorry! I have the droid figured out but i'm completely new to this fascinate rooting. Thanks

ROM
    SC 2.9.1 Vooodooo

Worked great...thanks for packaging it all together really nicely...kinda wish we coulda had the unbloated version packaged as well but its all good If i wanted the unbloated version would i still have to go back and install the kernel radio and modem again?
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #94  

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by rctreadaway View Post
    OK guys i got the thing flashed over to EB01. I DO NOT have clock work installed so what do I need to do? Sorry! I have the droid figured out but i'm completely new to this fascinate rooting. Thanks
    if you flashed with odin you do have clockwork installed, thats why i packaged it...
    make sure the update.zip is on your sdcard

from off state,,,,vol up+down+powerbutton,,,hold till you see samsung flash twice then let go...then go to apply sdcard:update.zip, press the home key and it will lead you into clockwork
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Infinity & Pool Party

Quote Originally Posted by rctreadaway View Post
    If you flashed to EB01 using the method in this thread, you have clockwork installed. It it built in. Not sure if this build has the full power menu (contains reboot and recovery) when you long press the power button, but if it does you can get to clockwork by choosing recovery from that menu. Otherwise with the phone off you can hold down the volume up, volume down, and power buttons until you see the samsung logo flash twice. When you see it the second time, let go of all the buttons. You will be in blue cwm. use volume down to highlight apply sdcard:update.zip and hit the home button. This will take you into red clockwork.
    Thanked by:
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #96  

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by whussain0 View Post
    Worked great...thanks for packaging it all together really nicely...kinda wish we coulda had the unbloated version packaged as well but its all good If i wanted the unbloated version would i still have to go back and install the kernel radio and modem again?
    no just grab adrynalynes zip file and flash it via clockwork, ill be working on debloated though

Quote Originally Posted by NoHolidaysForAHooker View Post
    What would happen if we flashed just the modem and left DL30?
    I'm running this setup...eb01 modem with dl30 rom...running good so far

ROM
    ComRom 1.3

I may get hammered for this, but what exactly is busybox and what does it do. Reason I am asking is I ran across it on Adrynalynnes post for EB01
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #99  

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by dhdmart View Post
    I may get hammered for this, but what exactly is busybox and what does it do. Reason I am asking is I ran across it on Adrynalynnes post for EB01
    its a set of programs needed to run linux...busybox lets your system run more advanced commands than are available on stock android
    Thanked by 2:

ROM
    Stock

No force close loop of hell this time. Most excellent!
    "Give it time. You will be assimilated, resistance is futile. You are only here to serve the green R2D2. posted by HKM"

If someone helps you find an answer, please Thank them with the button in their post.
Page 4 of 170 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast