[How to] Boot directly into red Clockworkmod Recovery**UPDATED 02/20/11**

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJKnut

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Great job... BUT... I've still got a few puzzles...
1) When you connect to the phone's USB, you should see the root directory on the SD card... Right..?
2) when would the CWM folder have been created, and if it isn't there..??
3) Is one of the CWM functions to 'Restore' the phone to a previously saved image.. if so, when-how did you create that image..?
4) What is in or the function of the recovery-update.zip file.?

Thanks again!! For me... this is like following the bread crumbs back home... only the birds have gobbled quit a bit of them... You're our GPS..!!

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Great job... BUT... I've still got a few puzzles...
1) When you connect to the phone's USB, you should see the root directory on the SD card... Right..?
2) when would the CWM folder have been created, and if it isn't there..??
3) Is one of the CWM functions to 'Restore' the phone to a previously saved image.. if so, when-how did you create that image..?
4) What is in or the function of the recovery-update.zip file.?

Thanks again!! For me... this is like following the bread crumbs back home... only the birds have gobbled quit a bit of them... You're our GPS..!!

1) Yes, when you connect phone to pc with USB and pull down the notification bar, click on USB connected, click on the gray bar that says "connect USB storage", the phone will connect to the pc and give you access to your sd card. You should get an auto play pop up on your pc. Click on "open folder to view files" this will open you up to the root of your sd card. You should see a bunch of file folders listed in alphabetical order. One of those folders should be titled clockworkmod

2) I believe this folder should have been created when you rooted the phone and added clockworkmod

3) Yes, one of the functions of clockworkmod is to restore the phone to a previously saved image. When you boot into red cwm, one of the options on the first menu, like 4 or 5 down is backup and restore. scroll down to that with volume down button and choose it by hitting the power button. If you choose backup, that will create the image of your phone setup at that time. If you choose restore you will see all the backups you have created organized and labeled by date and time, oldest one on top, newest on bottom. What I do after I create a backup, known as a nandroid backup is with my phone connected to pc with debugging on, I open the clockworkmod folder, open backups folder and rename my nandroid backups to identify the setup. The last nandroid backup I did is labeled EB012.4_TOB because I have EB01 superclean 2.4 with the Touch of Blue theme. Otherwise you are just looking at a bunch of dates and times and if you have quite a few it can get tough to remember what each setup contains.

4) The function of the update.zip file was simply a key to get you from blue recovery to red cwm. There was nothing in blue recovery that isn't also in red cwm. This new red cwm does not require the key to get in (The doorway is open, come on in), but you have to delete the key.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: DJKnut

DJKnut

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm getting there..!! I odin'ed "Super Clean version 2.4 - EB01 Froyo leak root+Froyo Clockworkmod" so I'm pretty sure I have the latest-greatest CWM... but without going through your outlined reloading process... How do I get into CWM from an operational Fascinate to create the initial backup image?? I can't say how MUCH I (we all..) appreciate you help and patience!!

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm getting there..!! I odin'ed "Super Clean version 2.4 - EB01 Froyo leak root+Froyo Clockworkmod" so I'm pretty sure I have the latest-greatest CWM... but without going through your outlined reloading process... How do I get into CWM from an operational Fascinate to create the initial backup image?? I can't say how MUCH I (we all..) appreciate you help and patience!!

Superclean has the long press power button menu. hold down the power button and a menu will appear in the screen, click recovery. Your phone will basically shut down and go to a screen with a menu in blue lettering at the top of the screen. hit the volume down button once so apply sdcard:update.zip is highlighted, hit the home soft key (looks like a house). this will take you into red clockworkmod recovery (cwm), volume down key to backup and restore, hit the power button. next menu choose backup and hit the power button. WAIT while the phone performs the backup. red cwm menu will reappear when backup is done, hit the menu soft key until you are back at the first red cwm menu where reboot system will highlighted at the top of the screen. hit the power button and wait for phone to reboot. If you follow the steps I outlined in the first post of this thread you will no longer have to go through the blue stock recovery to get to red cwm and you don't have to remember which one uses the home key to make selections, and which one uses the power button.

DJKnut

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Fantastic!!! It all worked, as stated... When it made the first backup was when it created the ClorkWorkMod folder on the SD card... and after it finished it had created a "backup" file with my system info... safe and sound!! So now there is no further need for that update.zip file..?? correct? I can delete it permanently from the SD card... One small final question... now that I've run the update, and the Red CWM has backed the system up, I will no longer get the old Blue CWM, nor use the "Home" key to initiate options and will only need to use the power button... Right?
It's kinda like learning to water ski... you spend all the effort trying to get up.... but then when you do... it's scary as HE...... and you have no idea what's next... For us old guys... this is the coolest way to still feel that shot of adrenaline... I've got mine today... Thanks!!

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Fantastic!!! It all worked, as stated... When it made the first backup was when it created the ClorkWorkMod folder on the SD card... and after it finished it had created a "backup" file with my system info... safe and sound!! So now there is no further need for that update.zip file..?? correct? I can delete it permanently from the SD card... One small final question... now that I've run the update, and the Red CWM has backed the system up, I will no longer get the old Blue CWM, nor use the "Home" key to initiate options and will only need to use the power button... Right?
It's kinda like learning to water ski... you spend all the effort trying to get up.... but then when you do... it's scary as HE...... and you have no idea what's next... For us old guys... this is the coolest way to still feel that shot of adrenaline... I've got mine today... Thanks!!

Everything you said about the red cwm, blue recovery, and update.zip is correct. Glad you got it all up and running and Happy Froyo!

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Amazing job on the update..quick question we can't use rom manager but what about the recovery option in the power down menu

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Amazing job on the update..quick question we can't use rom manager but what about the recovery option in the power down menu

Yes. I thought I wrote in the update that the only ways to get into recovery are through long press power menu and 3 button method. Let me check to make sure it is there and maybe I will move it to a more significant location.

EDIT- It's down toward the bottom in red letters with the warning about not flashing cwm through rom manager

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Sorry that's what happens when you are trying to read fast cause your girl is giving you the evil eye for being on AC while in bed together.......I'm a damn addict I know..thanks for clarifying

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Sorry that's what happens when you are trying to read fast cause your girl is giving you the evil eye for being on AC while in bed together.......I'm a damn addict I know..thanks for clarifying

PUT THE PHONE DOWN! You can check up on this tomorrow. Might be more changes by then.

tnez21

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
Nice to know im not the only one getting the evil eye for spending to much time on AC lol. So i flashed this updated cwm prior to the 20 and know that now i have to delete the recovery-updated.zip file and stop using Rom manager...but whats the whole bit about the kernel eventually reverting me back to blue recovery? Won't i then need an updated.zip to get into Cwm? Im running deodexed/debloated w/ mod add-ons

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Still trying to figure this out. Every time I flash a new ROM, my cwm reverts back to blue. I've read every thread about this and all of a sudden none of this makes any sense. The guys over at xda keep saying to flash a custom kernel to get the change to red cwm permanent. Problem is there is no custom non-voodoo kernel for eb01 yet. I am trying different things to get this to work, so far nothing has. So for now I would say just sit tight until we can figure something out. Thanks.

Dragonblade

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I am having the same issues that others have posted Re; CWM folder...
I flashed S.C 2.4 with Odin, however no Cwm Folder was ever created on my SD card.

I followed & downloaded your Zip File and Installed it through Odin...
Went back to my Sd card hoping for a Cwm Folder and nothing.

if you could please let me know if Im doing something wrong... or just a quick Nod.. to let me know that's ok... For now would be much appreciated. as my head hurts from all this reading between forums =)

DJKnut

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
CWM Folder

I am having the same issues that others have posted Re; CWM folder...
I flashed S.C 2.4 with Odin, however no Cwm Folder was ever created on my SD card.

I followed & downloaded your Zip File and Installed it through Odin...
Went back to my Sd card hoping for a Cwm Folder and nothing.

if you could please let me know if Im doing something wrong... or just a quick Nod.. to let me know that's ok... For now would be much appreciated. as my head hurts from all this reading between forums =)

I discovered that the CWM folder was created when I did my first system backup... DJ

Reactions: Dragonblade

dhdmart

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Shark, so why would we need Rom Manager if we can now just use the power button to get in to recovery? I know there is some different stuff in there for download but isnt it incompatable with the EB01 build? Just wandering, also I went through your process prior to the 20th, but if I intend on deleting Rom Manager do i need to worry about anything else? Thanks for all you do here on AC!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz