So I'm Rooted....what's next?

andyzig

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I read the FAQ regarding “WHY ROOT”, but now I want to know…. “WHY FLASH A NEW ROM AND/OR KERNAL”. This seems like a bigger risk than rooting was…, no? What do i gain by flashing a stock ROM, just a faster machine?? I have been reading this forum for a few days, I found the HOW-TO, but i can't really find an answer to the question, why? DroidXCon seems to have provided easy to follow instructions to get me to EB01, but I don’t really know what I gain.

I have a Sammy fascinate running the stock EA28 build. I rooted it primarily to get rid of the verizon crapware. I'm not sure how much they really affected me in the first place, but i feel empowered having stuck it to the man! I upgraded to LauncherPro, which seems to be an improvement, but I’m not really sure what else I gained? I'm also able to wirelessly tether without additional charges from Verizon (I think rooting was required, but I’m not certain here either).

So far, i don't feel like i did anything too risky. My phone also seems to be fast enough to do the standard things, phone calls, texting, Pandora, angry birds....ect. What are people doing with their phones that would require faster speeds? Sure I would love to have faster web browsing, but i assume that is limited by 3G data streaming and not my phone itself??? I would also be interested in trying custom themes, but do I need a custom ROM just for themes?

Maybe I should just stop while I’m ahead?

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
you dont gain anything by rooting. its what you do after you root. look, you took the first step, you rooted. so take the second step. flash a froyou rom. theres an oodin package thats super easy.

Braydon525

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I rooted so I could back up all my phone information, eg. apps/app data, settings, etc. These things are fragile, I found that out the hard way.

Trust me, its worth it to upgrade to Froyo. Ever noticed the lag and skipping when scrolling through your inbox, widget list, contact list, etc.. I haven't noticed that once on Froyo. There are added features to Froyo that are very handy. Watch Cory Streater's video review, its very informative.

andyzig

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I see what you're talking about... if i scroll through a long list of contacts, i do see a little "glitch" in the smoothness of the scroll. Ok, point noted. But i'm reading another post just updated today saying that GPS lock is now a problem with EB01 and was not a problem with EA28. Also, battery life will be a little worse if I "upgrade" to EB01. That's two good reasons for keeping EA28 in my mind. Any help here? I'm still looking for a solid reason to leave stock?

PS. I watched Cory's video on Youtube. Very informative but everything he describes seem almost insignificant compared to proper GPS function and battery life, no? Only my opinion, i'm not judging.

I'm missing something????

Braydon525

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Ill try out the GPS on the way home and let you know how it works for me. Quite honest, I haven't had a chance to test the battery because I've been messing around with flashing themes and such so I've had the phone plugged in a lot. But from what I have noticed, there is little difference in battery life.

Braydon525

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
But i'm reading another post just updated today saying that GPS lock is now a problem with EB01 and was not a problem with EA28.

GPS was terrible. It would locate my position after about a 20-30 sec, then wouldn't update for another 20-30 sec. Then it would jump around with a huge accuracy radius.

If you rely on GPS, then the EB01 leak is probably not for you...

As for a solid reason to leave stock... If you are like me, always changing/modding your phone, and you want something that is fast and responsive, then I would recommend upgrading. If not, then I would just wait for Samsung to get their act together...

Last edited:

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Try removing all of the verizon bloatware, and locked bookmarks. That's one of the only reasons I rooted. My phone runs faster without all that garbage. The last thing I'm trying to find out how to fix is the browser's search feature. I can't make it stop bing'ing me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke