ODIN nessecary?

ayhowarya

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I just flashed this theme over SC 2.3. I have entered fc hell and cannot boot into recovery to restore a backed up ROM. Do I need to ODIN my way to stock, root and then restore a backup in ROM manager? Or is there a way to access CWM through using the buttons on the phone?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I just flashed this theme over SC 2.3. I have entered fc hell and cannot boot into recovery to restore a backed up ROM. Do I need to ODIN my way to stock, root and then restore a backup in ROM manager? Or is there a way to access CWM through using the buttons on the phone?

well if you used rom manager hopefully you didnt hit the "flash clockwork recovery" otherwise
with the phone off ...Volume up+down+power hold them until samsung flashes twice then let go of the buttons

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

First and most important, I see you have my line as your signature - nice

Second and actually I'm going to correct myself and say this is most important - DO NOT USE ROM MANAGER WITH FROYO, IT DOES NOT SUPPORT THE NEW RED CWM.

I have been dealing with numerous fc issues with flashing themes recently. Just do the three button boot to cwm - hold down the volume up, volume down, and power buttons til you see samsung flash on the screen for a second time. This will take you to stock blue recovery. hit volume down once so apply sdcard:update.zip is highlighted and hit the home soft key. this will take you into red cwm where you can restore a backup or just flash sc 2.3 or whatever else you want to flash.

Reactions: ayhowarya

ayhowarya

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
well if you used rom manager hopefully you didnt hit the "flash clockwork recovery" otherwise
with the phone off ...Volume up+down+power hold them until samsung flashes twice then let go of the buttons

Didn't do the flash latest recovery...When I did the recovery method you just suggested, I get stock android recovery+ no option to choose zip from sd card. Maybe ODIN is the easy way out? I have a backed up working ROM on my sd card so it's all good.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Didn't do the flash latest recovery...When I did the recovery method you just suggested, I get stock android recovery+ no option to choose zip from sd card. Maybe ODIN is the easy way out? I have a backed up working ROM on my sd card so it's all good.

like landshark said as long as you put update.zip on your sd card it will lead you into red, otherwise just flash odin again any file should do the trick

Reactions: ayhowarya

ayhowarya

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
First and most important, I see you have my line as your signature - nice

Second and actually I'm going to correct myself and say this is most important - DO NOT USE ROM MANAGER WITH FROYO, IT DOES NOT SUPPORT THE NEW RED CWM.

I have been dealing with numerous fc issues with flashing themes recently. Just do the three button boot to cwm - hold down the volume up, volume down, and power buttons til you see samsung flash on the screen for a second time. This will take you to stock blue recovery. hit volume down once so apply sdcard:update.zip is highlighted and hit the home soft key. this will take you into red cwm where you can restore a backup or just flash sc 2.3 or whatever else you want to flash.

I used your method to get to CWM. However, when I choose the backup file, I get "no files found." For all of the backups. Now what? lol All this over a theme, thanks to you and DroidX for your help so far, I'd probably be holding a $200 paperweight at this point.

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I used your method to get to CWM. However, when I choose the backup file, I get "no files found." For all of the backups. Now what? lol All this over a theme, thanks to you and DroidX for your help so far, I'd probably be holding a $200 paperweight at this point.

When you did your backups were you using green cwm? If so that is why you can't restore them. I believe someone posted you will not be able to restore with red cwm the backups you made with green cwm. If you didn't use green, how did you do your backups?

motoprof

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Landshark said "Second and actually I'm going to correct myself and say this is most important - DO NOT USE ROM MANAGER WITH FROYO, IT DOES NOT SUPPORT THE NEW RED CWM."

When I use Rom Manager to access CWM and it goes into red. I remember a post somewhere that showed me how to change it so it goes to red. I am using DL30 leak.

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Landshark said "Second and actually I'm going to correct myself and say this is most important - DO NOT USE ROM MANAGER WITH FROYO, IT DOES NOT SUPPORT THE NEW RED CWM."

When I use Rom Manager to access CWM and it goes into red. I remember a post somewhere that showed me how to change it so it goes to red. I am using DL30 leak.

That was mainly to keep people from hitting the "flash clockwork mod" button in rom manager. That will gork up your recovery. When you go to red cwm from rom manager do you have the bitmap error messages on the sceen. I heard from Adrynalyne and other good sources rom manager did not work with the newest red cwm. With that cwm, you don't see the error messages on the lower part of the screen.

motoprof

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
That was mainly to keep people from hitting the "flash clockwork mod" button in rom manager. That will gork up your recovery. When you go to red cwm from rom manager do you have the bitmap error messages on the sceen. I heard from Adrynalyne and other good sources rom manager did not work with the newest red cwm. With that cwm, you don't see the error messages on the lower part of the screen.

I always hit the reboot into recovery button, and it goes into red, but it does give me the error messages at the bottom of the screen. It seems to me that Adrynalyne posted something about not worrying about those messages since they had something to do with voodoo or something. Can't remember exactly since I have read one gazillion posts in the last month :D .

Once into red, I used it to load DL30 leak with no problems.

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I always hit the reboot into recovery button, and it goes into red, but it does give me the error messages at the bottom of the screen. It seems to me that Adrynalyne posted something about not worrying about those messages since they had something to do with voodoo or something. Can't remember exactly since I have read one gazillion posts in the last month :D .

Once into red, I used it to load DL30 leak with no problems.

Yes, that is not the newest version of red cwm. The newest version provided by jt1134 does not show the error messages on the screen, and that is that one that does not work with rom manager. I thought I had figured out a way for our phones to boot directly to the new red cwm no matter what method we used, but that method will not work on non-voodoo until the devs get their hands on the source code and give us some custom kernels.