Verizon Fascinate: Froyo EB01 FAQ Plus Stock Unrooted and Rooted Downloads

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
(This post was taken from Adrynalyne's thread)

Here it is folks, in its bloated, ugly, and nasty touchwiz self. Kernel is included in the package. Rooted and busybox, only.

How to install, coming from Eclair:

1. Boot phone to download mode, and flash modem via Odin. Use pda button.
eb01modem.tar

2. Boot to clockwork recovery, and wipe data/factory reset. Then install rom.
eb01_stock.zip

Debloated, deodexed:
http://www.mediafire.com/?ucwc3zcb9841dtx

3. Before rebooting, also install the new clockwork package.
[RECOVERY] Updated ClockworkMod for all (non-voodoo) ROMs - xda-developers
4. Boot up and enjoy...or hate. Your mileage may vary!

All the folks who helped check for watermarks...y'all know who ye are.
The leaker, who we ended up serving for dinner with a nice bisque. We named it Leaker Bisque. Patent pending.
Everyone should feel obligated to join IRC and give each and every dev a hug and a kiss for Valentine's day.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Leaked DL30 Froyo Build Available NOW!

Feature List:

* Both Mac and PC SD card mount via USB.
* When phone is in debug mode, the icon in the notification panel looks like an Android dressed as a bug.
* Google Search now included.
* Black bar instead of gray at the top of the screen.
* Visual upgrades to icons in settings, and notifications panel for WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS, and new icons for: Mobile Data & Auto Rotation.
* Call quality is good.
* Additional social accounts added: AOL Mail, Verizon Net, Yahoo Mail, Hotmail added in setup wizard.
* 3 new font styles for all system fonts: Choco Cooky, Cool Jazz, and Rosemary; accessible is settings > display settings > font style. Options for downloading more fonts online.
* New tethering option in settings > wireless and networks (different than VZW Mobile Hotspot?)
* New tab in Task Manager called "RAM Manager" also options for controlling Level 1 & 2 RAM. No idea what that is yet.
* Latest Gtalk client (yea!)
* Latest Gmail client (yea!)
* New options during power down
* Flash works great in web pages (slows down page load times slighty). Tested on AC, Engadget and YouTube. Best performing of any phone I've used (all of them).
* Google NAV voice is now loud!
* Camera bug resolved.
* New lock options in settings can now set a pin password or the old way to lock.
* New battery fully charged sound & battery full icon on left side of notification panel.
* Haptic feedback is much lighter to the touch.
* Ridiculously cool select, cut, share, serach goolge/google traslate/wikipedia/dictionary feature.
* Sounds and settings updates listed here
* Media scanner at bootup now has a % complete progress indicator in notifications pull-down.
* Gmail app now has "install" button and installs apks automatically instead of previewing then installing.
* Screen capture: hold the back button and then press the power button to take a screenshot.
* You can now touch and hold the notification bar then slide left/right for brightness
* In the stock browser you can now touch and hold (longer than normal I think) and it give you the ability to highlight text on the page.
* Pinching your fingers in the app drawer brings up a sense-like leap feature for your app drawer.
* Fix for two-finger rotate in Google Maps: Similar to pinch to zoom if you rotate your two fingers clockwise or counter-clockwise googlemaps will rotate. It was one of the enhancements they added with the most recent update (along w/ compass and 3D cities)

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Description, How-to, Q&A

This a complete complete and untouched EB01 build that includes the radio, bootloader, boot image, etc. This is the full blown package that test Engineers use to flash phones. This is a great option for Noobies as it only requires 2 steps & is the equivalent of flashing your phone to stock without the need to troubleshoot force closes, etc. Q&A at the bottom.

Here are the 2 steps necessary to flash the full version of EB01 Froyo:

1. Download the release here.
  2. Flash with ODIN (attached). Phone will reboot when finished.

If you do not have ODIN, or don't know how to use it, follow these steps:

1. Download the attached zipped ODIN file and extract ODIN file to your PC's desktop.
  2. If your phone is plugged into your computer, unplug it now.
  3. If your phone is not powered down, power it down now.
  4. Remove battery from phone.
  5. Launch ODIN on PC.
  6. Plug USB cable into phone.
  7. Press and hold the volume-down key.
  8. Plug your Fascinate into the PC via USB cable.
  9. You should now see a gigantic yellow triangle and your phone will be in download mode. You can now release the volume key.
  10. Click on the PDA button in ODIN. Do NOT click the Phone button.
  11. Choose the CI500_VZW_EB01_FROYO_REL.tar.md5.tar file you downloaded in step in the first step at the top.
Phone will reboot when finished. Congrats, you now have Froyo.

Q&A:

1. Bloatware? Yes.
  2. Can it be rooted? Yes. See this thread for instructions.
  3. Will it wipe my phone? Yes.
  4. Is there any reason to flash this if I am already on EB01? If you want the full build, untouched by any hackers, yes. This is also good for those who are having trouble (e.g., force closes) flashing using other packages that are not based off of this stock build. Otherwise, no.
  5. I am using a Superclean ROM and really like it, should I flash this? Probably not.
  6. Will I have to reinstall CWM? Yes. See post #3 for instructions.
  7. How's the battery life? It seems to be reporting correctly now.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Description, How-to, Q&A

Flashing CWM:

If you have the outdated ClockworkMod, and would like the new one, this is how to upgrade:

1. Download cwm-recovery-ALL.tar to your desktop.
  2. Download update.zip and move it to your SD card.
  3. Use ODIN to flash cwm_froyo.tar.
  4. You should now be able to boot into the new ClockworkMod.

Use the following steps to boot into ClockWorkMod moving forward (start with phone powered off):

1. Press & hold the volume up and down buttons at the same time. Do not let go. Now press and hold the power button. You will see the Samsung logo display, disappear, and then reappear. Now let go of all buttons.
  2. You will now see a blue menu. Use the volume buttons to select & the home button as an enter button in this screen.
  3. Select apply "sdcard:update.zip"
  4. You should now boot into ClockWorkMod. From here you can do things like flash zips on your SD card, and do full system backups using Nandroid. Use the volume buttons to select & the power button as an enter button in CWM.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
[FAQ] Froyo Build EB01

Revision 1:

Q. What is EB01?
A. EB01 is considered to be one of the final final builds of Froyo prior to the OTA update. We have tested it extensively and have found it to be stable and mostly bug free.

Q. Where did EB01 come from?
A. Check out the bottom of Adrynalyne's post. The rest is a mystery.

Q. How does EB01 differ from the previous DL30 leak?
A. DL30 did not have any "bloatware", but it did include a "Samsung" branded keyboard. There was a major bug in the DL30 leak related to email. My own observation is that there is a significant improvement in battery life after upgrading from DL30 to EB01.

Q. Where can I find a list of all the updated EB01 Froyo goodies that I can expect to see?
A. Check post #2 regularly. When the post is updated, the revision number will increase.

Q. What are the known issues in EB01?
A. Check post #3 regularly. When the post is updated, the revision number will increase.

Q. Is there a video demo of EB01?
A. Why, yes there is. Check it out here.

Q. Does EB01 come preloaded with Bing?
A. Yes.

Q. What happens when I press the search button, or hold down on it for a few seconds?
A. It opens Bing Search and Bing Voice Search respectively. There are no options to change this.

Q. Can I update directly from DL30 to EB01?
A. The only method I endorse is updating from a Fascinate that has been factory reset and data wiped.

Q. What steps do I follow to update?
A. There are several ways you can get there:

1. Advanced: Both myself and DroidXcon started off by using the information and files posted in Adrynalyne's thread. Advanced users, who are able to understand the 4 steps he outlined, will be up and running in no time. All users, should at least go to his post and thank him. If you don't, you might be eternally jinxed.
  2. Semi Advanced: If you want to do exactly what I did, with zero support from me (sorry guys I'm just way too busy these days!), you can follow these steps explicitly. Warning: my procedure includes weird lingo and requires that you trust what I tell you to do, without the need to understand what you're doing. I force you to start with a freshly flashed official build of DL09 for safe measure.
  3. Everyone: If you want things packaged up, and need detailed step-by-step instructions, head on over to DroidXcon's thread.

Q. If I flash EB01, will I be rooted afterwards?
A. Yes, if you use any one of the 3 procedures above.

Q. Will I lose my apps and data?
A. Yes - but of course you will be able to redownload your apps from the market afterwards.

Q. Can I restore my apps and/or data from a Titanium or other type of backup.
A. 1.) Guaranteed issue free method: reinstall and reconfigure settings/apps from the beginning. There are several apps that have their own settings export abilities (such as Touchdown and Launcher Pro). Importing these individual backups works fine. 2) Greater than 50% chance you'll have issues: Go for it.

Q. I flashed EB01. How do I get rid of all the bloatware?
A. The simple answer is to download and install Root Explorer from the Market. Create a folder on your SD card called "EB01 Bloat", and then cut and move the bloatware files in /system/app to this folder. For a more detailed explanation, and a list of files that are safe to move, check out this thread.

Q. Are there Superclean ROM's based off of EB01.
A. Yep. Adrynalyne has posted all of his Superclean ROM's here

Q. I'm having one or more of the following: force closes, terrible battery life (like really bad), my phone feels like it's overheating, the phone feels really buggy overall and doesn't behave the way I would expect in EB01.
A. 3rd party apps that are inoperable with Froyo, task killers that are killing things they shouldn't be (please don't use them), and the state of your device (should have reset and wiped per the instructions) can all affect your EB01 experience. If you want to give it another whirl, do this, and then try one of the 3 EB01 methods above.

Q. You guys speak a language I cannot understand. For example, what is this ODIN, Clockworld, and this rooting stuff you speak of?
A. Check out this informative post regarding ODIN & Clockworld, and also this post for some info on rooting.

Q. I've PM'ed you guys because I need help, but you haven't responded :'(
A. No question is a stupid question, but not asking it in the forums is. Help us help you, and in the process help other members who might have the same questions as you. Due to time contraints, I personally can only respond to messages that are related to forum administration. I would also appreciate a PM if I missed something in post #2 or #3 of this thread. I'm also known to respond to "your mom" jokes.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
EB01 (Froyo) Feature List

Revision 0:

* Google Search now included.
* Black bar instead of gray at the top of the screen.
* Visual upgrades to icons in settings, and notifications panel for WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS, and new icons for: Mobile Data & Auto Rotation. Airplane mode button removed.
* Additional social accounts added: AOL Mail, Verizon Net, Yahoo Mail, Hotmail added in setup wizard.
* 3 new font styles for all system fonts: Choco Cooky, Cool Jazz, and Rosemary; accessible is settings > display settings > font style. Options for downloading more fonts online.
* New tethering option in settings > wireless and networks (different than VZW Mobile Hotspot?)
* New tab in Task Manager called "RAM Manager" also options for controlling Level 1 & 2 RAM. No idea what that is yet.
* Latest Gtalk client (yea!)
* Latest Gmail client (yea!)
* New options during power down
* Flash works great in web pages (slows down page load times slighty). Tested on AC, Engadget and YouTube. Best performing of any phone I've used (all of them). Must enable "plug-ins" in the browser settings to use it.
* Google NAV voice is now loud! and yes GPS still works well.
* Camera bug resolved.
* New lock options in settings can now set a pin password or the old way to lock.
* New battery fully charged sound & battery full icon on left side of notification panel.
* Haptic feedback vibration is now adjustable.
* Ridiculously cool select, cut, share, serach goolge/google traslate/wikipedia/dictionary feature.
* Sounds and settings updates updates, including a popup that allows you to adjust various sounds via sliders.
* Media scanner at bootup now has a % complete progress indicator in notifications pull-down.
* Gmail app now has "install" button and installs apks automatically instead of previewing then installing.
* Screen capture: hold the back button and then press the power button to take a screenshot.
* In the stock browser you can now touch and hold and it give you the ability to highlight text on the page.
* Pinching your fingers in the app drawer brings up a sense-like leap feature for your app drawer.
* Two-finger rotate in Google Maps.
* Mail widget/icon shows the number of new messages.
* The camera now Geotags photos.
* Apps installed on SD card now supported.
* The USB card now looks more like a simple mass storeage device when plugged into a PC (No Mac support :mad:)
* When you plug in to a USB port on your PC a cool looking green Android guy shows up with a button to push that says "mount mass storage". One you choose mount, he turns into an orange Android guy!

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Known Issues in EB01

Revision 1:

1.) The 3 key in the dialer pad reads "EDF"
2.) Some users (not myself) have reported issues with WiFi connectivity. We are still confirming this.
3.) USB card mounting on a Mac is still broken.
4.) Battery is draining abnormally fast, and is also charging faster than usual. Read & follow the steps in this thread
5.) Back button issues: It's probably related to LauncherPro incompatibility. For an explanation, and possible fixes, keep an eye on this thread.
6.) Vibration intensity setting revets back to soft after setting to max: Confirmed bug with no solution. There's a discussion about this here.
7.) Google Voice Search does not respond to voice commands to call contacts; instead it does a web search. Call "John Doe" triggers a web search of "John Doe": Confirmed bug with no solution. Discussion here.

Revision history:
2/16 - added #4

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
This is great, we finally have an upgrade from the DI01 package, i broke this one down and it seems pretty thorough, i was waiting for the official release to come out to make a package similar to this, but this is just as good

doctorj1

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
so when you say the battery life is reporting correctly does that mean none of this BS with charging to full, wiping battstats, draining, charging, draining, charging, wipe battstats, reflash, drain, wipe, charge, wipe, drain, charge, charge...etc and then maybe you'll have a decent battery?

ha sorry... frustrated

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
so when you say the battery life is reporting correctly does that mean none of this BS with charging to full, wiping battstats, draining, charging, draining, charging, wipe battstats, reflash, drain, wipe, charge, wipe, drain, charge, charge...etc and then maybe you'll have a decent battery?

ha sorry... frustrated

Roger Dodger.

indianajonze

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
fantastic! small suggestion though. you might want to mention that you need to install the galaxy s usb 64bit/32bit drivers before any of this so the phone is recognized when you plug it in...

dberry74

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm loading this up to see how much better battery is over the super clean roms. I loved having a clean load with the honeycomb theme, but it seemed to cost the battery.

putney1477

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
yeah flash that file from clockwork and it roots and gives you the super user app

I cant boot into red cwm.
I get into blue, apply sdcard update zip

E: cant mount /dev/block/vold/179:9
(no such file or directory)
E:cant mount sdcard update zip
installation aborted

??? where did I go wrong?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol