Post #7 = Trouble Shooting

Last edited:

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
FAQ & Preperation

FAQ
Q: Will this wipe my phone of all data?

A: Yes, this will wipe your phone completely and rewrite the partitions to a stock (the way you bought it) condition.

Q: Will this wipe my SD card?

A: NO, this will not wipe any data on your SD card, only system partitions of the phone itself.

Q: Does this void my warranty?

A:No in fact if you had a software change that would have have voided your warranty before this will bring you to a state that they will have never known an alteration was made

Q: I am currently running the latest software update, will this return me to this state?

A: No this will bring you back to eclair 2.1.1 Firmware build DI01. BUT you will then be able to do an official over the air update to the latest released build

Q: Will i lose any apps or data during this process?

A: You absolutely will, this is a full wipe of your system. But please refer to Post #2 where we will give you steps to take to back up your apps and data. Post #6 after you are done with the wipe and restore will give you the steps to restore the apps and data.

Q: What is Odin?

A: A Flashing program to download Kernels, firmware to Samsung mobile phones. Also used in recovering failed flashes, bricked phones or doing full system wipes and restores.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Preparations

1. Download and Install Samsung Drivers
64bit: Drivers HERE
or
32bit: Drivers HERE

2. Go to Settings > Applications > Developement > Enable Debugging, then connect your phone to your PC, allow 2-3 minutes to configure drivers
debug.png

3.Download Odin Application HERE

4.Download DI01 Stock Image HERE

5.Disable any running antivirus (causes an interupt durning process resulting in bad flash)

6.Make sure to plug USB cable in the back of the computer,for most reliable connection

Last edited:

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
How to Backup contacts and apps

Backup Contacts

Backup to Gmail account (Recommended)
Step 1. From the Home screen, touch the menu button
Step 2. Touch settings
Step 3. Touch accounts & sync
Step 4. Touch the Gmail account of your choice under Manage accounts
Step 5. Touch Sync contacts

Export to SD card (Recommended)
Step 1. From the Home screen, touch contacts
Step 2. Touch menu
Step 3. Touch Import/Export
Step 4. Touch Export to SD card
Step 5. Touch ok to confirm export

Send namecard via
Step 2. Touch menu
Step 4. Touch send namecard via
Step 5. Touch Select all
Step 6. Touch send
Step 7. Touch destination of your choice

Verizon Backup Assistant
Step 2. Touch settings
Step 4. Follow the prompts to log in to your Backup Assistant account.

Apps and Data
There are many apps available on the market. But i will suggest My Backup Pro if you purchase you can use this without root. It can be found in the Android Market
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.rerware.android.MyBackupPro&feature=search_result

Last edited:

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Instructions to wipe and restore your phone with Odin

1.) If your phone is plugged into your computer, unplug it now.
2.) If your phone is not powered down, power it down now.
3.) Remove battery from phone.
4.) Launch ODIN on PC.
5.) Plug USB cable into phone.
6.) Plug your Fascinate into the PC via USB cable.
7.) Press and hold the volume-down key until you see a gigantic yellow triangle and your phone will be in download mode.(Please see 2nd picture in post #5)You can now release the volume key. At this point you will see a yellow com port in the upper left hand corner of the Odin applicate. .(Please see 3rd picture in post #5)

8.) Click on the PDA button in ODIN

Triple check that you pushed the PDA button. Do NOT click the Phone button prior to continuing to step 13. If you choose Phone, you will have bought your Fascinate a one-way ticket to hell.

9.) Choose the DI01package3.tar.tar
file you downloaded in step 2 above & click the Start button.(this should take approx 3 to 6mins)
10.) Phone will power down when finished.
11.) Remove USB cable.
12.) Reinsert battery.
13.) Power phone and wait to boot approx 4mins

Congrats you are wiped clean and restored to Stock.

Last edited:

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Instructions to wipe and restore your phone with Odin w/visual aids

Once odin is downloaded open it, its an executable file so when you open it you will see the following : (File used in picture is just an example)

1tut-1.png

Once this is up, do the following
-Remove the battery from your Device
-Plug in the USB cord
-Hold down the Volume Down button until you see a big bright triangle on your screen , underneath it will say Downloading and beneath that it will say Do not turn off target
Samsung_Galaxy_S_Download_Mode.jpg

At this point you will see one of the boxes in the corner turn yellow, letting you know there is a connection, it will look like this
5tut-1.png

after you are connected you want to hit the PDA button, NEVER PHONE, phone will erase your modem and you will have trouble connecting after that at all.
2tut-1.png

when you click the PDA button a pop up will appear and you will need to select the file you would like to flash and then click open

6tut.png

now you will see the file appear in the PDA window ,, with connection made and the file in the PDA window, you may now hit Start

5tut-3.png

Once you hit start this process Should take approx. 5 mins if you are returning to stock . shouldnt take any less time than that and not much more. So dont start freaking out at min 2...(wait till min 7) lol

If you are flashing a Clockworkmod file it should take approx 7seconds.

once it is completed you should see the following window:

4tut.png

Once you have reached this screen it is safe to unplug , put your battery in and boot up..

Last edited:

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Restoring Contacts

Backup to Gmail account (Recommended)

Step 2. Touch settings
Step 4. Touch the Gmail account of your choice under Manage accounts
Step 5. Touch Sync contacts

Import From SD card (Recommended)
Step 2. Touch menu
Step 4. Touch Import From SD card

Verizon Backup Assistant
Step 2. Touch settings
Step 4. Follow the prompts to log in to your Backup Assistant account.

Apps and Data
There are many apps available on the market. But i will suggest My Backup Pro if you purchase you can use this without root. It can be found in the Android Market
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.rerware.android.MyBackupPro&feature=search_result

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Trouble Shooting

Odin application displays one of the following in message box
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 0)
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)
Resolution
90% of problems associated with Odin are due to communication between phone and computer , it is suggested to go over all the prepartion points in Post#2 of this thread. Other things to try would be.
Change USB ports in the back of the computer
  • Make sure you did not forget to remove battery from phone
  • make sure Odin is the only application running and antivirus is disabled
  • If you are using a laptop make sure its plugged in also find the nearest desktop and try from there
After failed flash with odin upon power up the following is depicted on the screen

SOFT BRICK
Samsung_Galaxy_S_Black_Screen_of_Death.jpg

Resolution
First off DO NOT PANIC. there is a simple solution, just remove the battery , plug the phone into the computer, press and hold volume down and it will enter download mode. Please review all the steps oulined in this thread and try and flash again

Last edited:

tw105188

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Haha no doubt. I want to put EVERYTHING back to stock and then go back to SC. Just feel like since I've flashed so much stuff a clean slate would be good for me. Lol

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

tw105188

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
And let me ask you this..do the contents of your SD effect the way your phone runs whatsoever? My guess is no, but hey, I've been wrong before.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
And let me ask you this..do the contents of your SD effect the way your phone runs whatsoever? My guess is no, but hey, I've been wrong before.

well yes and no , its possible to have a corrupt card forcing your phone to scan and rescan the card and could slow down your system. also corrupt data could cause problems because some processes require info from the card, such as skins for example beautiful widgets uses skins that are on your sd card when you remove it the skin disappears.

Brettdacosta

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site

Ok - I was having my phone wig out (pan all around, zoom in and out, and scroll up and down all very rapidly like on crack for about 1/2 second to 2 seconds sometimes every so often. Per Gunnermike's request, I reformatted my sd card last night, and I haven't noticed the issue as of yet. So, where I thought no originally, I'm definitely a believer that an sd card can affect the way your phone behaves.

p.s. - I still have my keyboard (and I believe my screen but not as frequently) not register a button press or 2 every so often - if anyone knows anything about this - or has seen the same thing.

nfcjrg

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Thank You for all you help in step by step. Since I am a newbie in this envirnoment, could you also provide a step by step in rooting so I can get froyo 2.2 on my phone, I need a good version of Flash to see some of my websites.. Thank You

ezas

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Top notch walk-through as usual. I learned a few backup steps I did not know about.

But I'd like to say that Backup Assistant is not a very sophisticated sync routine. I ended up with a bunch of contacts back on my phone that I had cleaned up in Google Contacts (the website) so that all my contacts were stored in Google. I restored from Titanium Backup to get the contacts back the way I had them. Without TiBU I would have lost hours of work combining phone/Google contacts.

Now after syncing with Backup Assistant, when I look at the website for Backup Assistant I show the number of contacts correctly but they are all marked as unknown and are blank of any info. I think this might be because all my contacts are Google only contacts now. But between Google and TiBU I'm satisfied my contacts are adequately protected.

I'm going to add the export to SD card as the last layer of backup for contacts.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Top notch walk-through as usual. I learned a few backup steps I did not know about.

But I'd like to say that Backup Assistant is not a very sophisticated sync routine. I ended up with a bunch of contacts back on my phone that I had cleaned up in Google Contacts (the website) so that all my contacts were stored in Google. I restored from Titanium Backup to get the contacts back the way I had them. Without TiBU I would have lost hours of work combining phone/Google contacts.

Now after syncing with Backup Assistant, when I look at the website for Backup Assistant I show the number of contacts correctly but they are all marked as unknown and are blank of any info. I think this might be because all my contacts are Google only contacts now. But between Google and TiBU I'm satisfied my contacts are adequately protected.

I'm going to add the export to SD card as the last layer of backup for contacts.

i think export to sd is the best,,,do you think i should remove vzw backup?

ezas

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
i think export to sd is the best,,,do you think i should remove vzw backup?

Hard to say. I'd say leave it. People can read my post and take it for what it is worth. Others should come along and add their own experiences with it.

I would say if it's been working for someone no need to discount it. It does have a web interface which makes it easy to export contacts to a text file on your computer.

The link to Backup Assistant can be hard to find from your account on the VZW website. Easiest is to use direct link: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ucts/backup-assistantplus.html&token=KNL67Vvf

I'm going to do a little testing with Backup Assistant and report back.

Last edited: