[Guide] Tools and Information for Mac OS X Users - Updated 04/07

ls5012

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Although I still can't get my phone rooted, ( I have searched these forums and every other forum I could find on the internet & I'm on my last nerve!!!! I did find this method for having the phone recognized by the mac. Hope this helps!

After you plug in the phone and these messages come across the status bar, swipe down on the screen and select "USB Connected" "Select to copy files to/from your computer" Then select "Mount" when the blue USB connected message pops up. Wait a few minutes until you get the "Disk you inserted was not readable" error, select "Ignore". At this point, just to be sure, open "Disk Utility" on your Mac, you should see an entry for "Samsung SCH -I500. Select it and then hit "Info". Look at the Disk Identifier, it should say disk1 or some other number. If it is disk1 just copy "gpt show /dev/disk1" without quotes and paste it in Terminal. If it is disk2 or another number just change the 1 to whatever number yours happens to be. When you have that copied in Terminal, look back at your phone and "Turn off USB Storage" select "Turn off" on the blue message that pops up, wait a few seconds and the "USB connected" "select to copy files" message comes back on your phone "select it and mount again. Then bring up your Terminal and hit enter to run the command. You should get something like this,
start size index contents
0 1 MBR
1 128
129 30904191 1 MBR part 12

Reactions: newBjo3

ls5012

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I am also having the same issues with the terminal not find the directory or device. As I posted 2 days ago. I really appreciate all of the help from the people on the forums. But I am starting to think that Samsung/Verizon installed something with the last patch that just makes impossible to root. I have tried every method multiple times that I could find going all the way back to Sept. And I have searched and tried every video tutorial I could find. Would anyone be able to root the Fascinate using a way to get in to my computer remotely? I have had Verizon and other software companies do this & it's a miracle! I am going Crazy!!!! Can't get certain apps like updated Angry birds etc. anymore because no root!!! HELP!!!!!!

Braydon525

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I am also having the same issues with the terminal not find the directory or device. As I posted 2 days ago. I really appreciate all of the help from the people on the forums. But I am starting to think that Samsung/Verizon installed something with the last patch that just makes impossible to root. I have tried every method multiple times that I could find going all the way back to Sept. And I have searched and tried every video tutorial I could find. Would anyone be able to root the Fascinate using a way to get in to my computer remotely? I have had Verizon and other software companies do this & it's a miracle! I am going Crazy!!!! Can't get certain apps like updated Angry birds etc. anymore because no root!!! HELP!!!!!!

Do you have google chat? If you do, set it up in ichat and PM me your user name. We can do screen sharing and I can see exactly whats going on.

Mindgrind

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Here's where I get stuck:

[*] adb connection will be reset. restart adb server on desktop and re-login.
RedBend Update Agent 6,1,14,1

FOTA : Make Block Device Nodes
lcd_init(498): start!
lcd_init(507): fb0 open success
lcd_init(514): width = 480, height = 800
open device file: Permission denied
bmldevice_get_size: bmldevice_open failed!src: /sdcard/zImage
dst: /dev/block/bml7 partition size: 0x0
part_size: 0x0
reboot: Operation not permitted

By the way, after the first line I always need to unplug the usb and plug it back in before it will continue; I've had to do this on all steps and it seems to work if anyone is stuck in limbo waiting for terminal to do something.

Anyway- any clues what to do from here? I'm installing the 2.1 to 2.2 CWM. I think this is the right one (yes, noob here) for me to install. Help?

wiccanpie

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Did we ever get anywhere with the mounting of the phone so it shows as a mass storage device on a mac yet? The one person I saw recently had the same thing I'm getting where I get the display that asks me if I want to initialize eject or whatever.

I did do Step 1, and I did get the OK to close the terminal, but alas, no such luck - just the lovely CD Rom on my desktop that says "Verizon Wireless".

Mindgrind

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I don't even get the "initialize" option anymore. I persisted and got past my errors and went to finish the install and now all I get is the disk in un-readable!

You can ignore the "initialize" like was said in previous posts for root, but now I can't even get a reading at all. Very strange... guess I'll pull out my old Windows laptop and see if I can pick it up from there. Frustrating.

FrankWhite77

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
So I want to try the new kernel adrynaline put out yesterday to see if I get better battery life. To do this I just push to SD - and then install from SD through CWR? And if it sucks I just reflash Superclean?

ls5012

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I am so determined to get this phone rooted. The push sd terminal seems ok. Now when I click root.app I get this:

Installing superuser.apk
180 KB/s (196521 bytes in 1.064s)
pkg: /data/local/tmp/superuser.apk
Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_ALREADY_EXISTS]
Does this mean that the root is already somewhere in a file on the phone?? I have searched MY FILES & there is a 1-click -root file. If I click & hold it downI get the options page with options to Delete,Move, Copy,Rename etc.
Any Ideas?

ls5012

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Sorry for all the posts. Out of curiousity I opended titanium back up and it now allowed me in. Gave me the option of which apps to back up, but when I checked in settings, the firmware version still says 2.1 . So confused

Braydon525

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
looks like you have root installed. You should have firmware 2.1 unless you ran 1-click-clockworkmod-2.1-2.2

Sorry for all the posts. Out of curiousity I opended titanium back up and it now allowed me in. Gave me the option of which apps to back up, but when I checked in settings, the firmware version still says 2.1 . So confused

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Braydon525

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
So I want to try the new kernel adrynaline put out yesterday to see if I get better battery life. To do this I just push to SD - and then install from SD through CWR? And if it sucks I just reflash Superclean?

Yep. And if you want to go back to the original kernel, you can find that on the forums and flash it the same way, or reflash superclean.

Braydon525

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Did we ever get anywhere with the mounting of the phone so it shows as a mass storage device on a mac yet? The one person I saw recently had the same thing I'm getting where I get the display that asks me if I want to initialize eject or whatever.

I did do Step 1, and I did get the OK to close the terminal, but alas, no such luck - just the lovely CD Rom on my desktop that says "Verizon Wireless".

Not really sure what you're asking. When you plug in your phone, do not connect to mass storage device...

ls5012

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
looks like you have root installed.

" You should have firmware 2.1 unless you ran 1-click-clockworkmod-2.1-2.2"
Ok I downloaded clockwork but I can't get the files extracted from the zip. I click on open, it unzips with archive. But the file shows up as: /1-click-clockworkmod-2.1-to-2.2 2 2 2.zip.cpgz. There is no application that extracts the files any further. What's up? Oh & I tried just pasting the file into the terminal & it comes up denied. I'm almost there!!!

Last edited:

Braydon525

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
" You should have firmware 2.1 unless you ran 1-click-clockworkmod-2.1-2.2"
Ok I downloaded clockwork but I can't get the files extracted from the zip. I click on open, it unzips with archive. But the file shows up as: /1-click-clockworkmod-2.1-to-2.2 2 2 2.zip.cpgz. There is no application that extracts the files any further. What's up? Oh & I tried just pasting the file into the terminal & it comes up denied. I'm almost there!!!

Macs come with an archive utility preinstalled that works with zips. You should be able to upzip it just by double clicking. How did you unzip the root? Use the same process. Or try right clicking and choose open with > archive utility.app

Braydon525

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I don't even get the "initialize" option anymore. I persisted and got past my errors and went to finish the install and now all I get is the disk in un-readable!

You can ignore the "initialize" like was said in previous posts for root, but now I can't even get a reading at all. Very strange... guess I'll pull out my old Windows laptop and see if I can pick it up from there. Frustrating.

How the progess? Still having the same errors?

I haven't come across this "initialize" messages you guys keep getting. Not sure what thats all about. Let me know if you are still getting the same errors. I'll dig a little more into it.

jerseyjim

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
So I am new to all this and I think I have correctly followed the procedures however, when I boot in recovery mode and go to install from SD card the ROM franken file is not there. I believe I am rooted, but not entirely sure, I have superuser installed. If I go to settings about phone my firmware version is 2.1-update 1. Kernal 2.6.29 Build SCH-I500.EA28. I was looking to put the EB01 and Voodoo Superfrankenclean 2.8. I am currently at a PC until this afternoon. Everything I have done has been through Terminal on Mac, the only thing I have done with the phone is re-booting and trying to find the ROM file from recovery mode. Andy assistance is appreciated.

Braydon525

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
So I am new to all this and I think I have correctly followed the procedures however, when I boot in recovery mode and go to install from SD card the ROM franken file is not there. I believe I am rooted, but not entirely sure, I have superuser installed. If I go to settings about phone my firmware version is 2.1-update 1. Kernal 2.6.29 Build SCH-I500.EA28. I was looking to put the EB01 and Voodoo Superfrankenclean 2.8. I am currently at a PC until this afternoon. Everything I have done has been through Terminal on Mac, the only thing I have done with the phone is re-booting and trying to find the ROM file from recovery mode. Andy assistance is appreciated.

When you put the zip on your sdcard, did unzip it?

jerseyjim

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I used the pushto app and pushed the file still in its zipped state. I can see the file in the phone in the hidden files, it has a greay square icon next to the file name.

If I succesfully loaded EB01 wouldn't it display that under phone info regardless of installing the 2.8? Could that be part of the issue? I'm beginning to think that the only thing I have done is possibly rooted the phone and installed superuser.

Last edited:

Braydon525

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I used the pushto app and pushed the file still in its zipped state. I can see the file in the phone in the hidden files, it has a greay square icon next to the file name.

If I succesfully loaded EB01 wouldn't it display that under phone info regardless of installing the 2.8? Could that be part of the issue? I'm beginning to think that the only thing I have done is possibly rooted the phone and installed superuser.

When you boot into recovery, is it red? Seems like everything installed fine. Is the zip on the root of your sdcard?

jerseyjim

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Recover is in red. I don't know that I put the ROM int eh root. I just dbl clicked pushto than copied and pasted 2.8 in the terminal and hit enter. It sounds like we are getting somewhere though. Thanks for the help.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams