Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Account Deactivated

Global Posts
    1,770 Global Posts

Default [MOD]Speed up media scanner

I really hate the Samsung media scanner.

Hate isn't even a strong enough word. If you have ever noticed, it scans the READ ONLY system on every boot. Then it scans SD card. Scanning the system is where the phone gets most sluggish though.

Well, I tried my best to hack that feature out and still haven't been able to.

I did find a workaround though:

D/MediaScanner( 2798): prescan return
    D/MediaScanner( 2798): Start Original /system/media/
    D/MediaScanner( 2798): found .nomedia, skipping directory

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2056318/upda...anner_fast.zip

Its a dirty way of fixing it, but hey, it works.
    Thanked by 11:
    + Show/Hide list of the thanked

ROM
    Gummy, AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by Adrynalyne View Post
    I really hate the Samsung media scanner.

Hate isn't even a strong enough word. If you have ever noticed, it scans the READ ONLY system on every boot. Then it scans SD card. Scanning the system is where the phone gets most sluggish though.

Well, I tried my best to hack that feature out and still haven't been able to.

I did find a workaround though:

D/MediaScanner( 2798): prescan return
    D/MediaScanner( 2798): Start Original /system/media/
    D/MediaScanner( 2798): found .nomedia, skipping directory

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2056318/upda...anner_fast.zip

Its a dirty way of fixing it, but hey, it works.
    dang!! at it again. thanks. do you have my pie?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    Account Deactivated

Global Posts
    1,770 Global Posts

The only thing you want to watch for is that you don't wipe.

If you wipe, you lose your ringtone index. Easily fixed by removing the file or reflashing a rom though.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    Account Deactivated

Global Posts
    1,770 Global Posts

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2056318/upda...an_scripts.zip

fast_media --disables media scanning of system
    default_media --enables media scanning of system.

You're really on the ball lately. When's SC 3.0 coming? j/k

ROM
    Infinity & Pool Party

Sorry Adrynalyne, got to bug you for a question about these. Do we need to use both of these or just the new scripts one you posted? And for everyone's sake since the second one is script we would run it in terminal emulator, correct?
    Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?

Sometimes you go to the circus...........Sometimes the circus comes to you.

Instructions on how to flash ROMs, Kernels, Patches, and Mods through clockworkmod recovery, CWM: DroidXcon's CWM Thread

If you add me on Google+, please list your AC username as a nickname so I know who you are.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  
    Account Deactivated

Global Posts
    1,770 Global Posts

Yeah, scripts enable/disable, then reboot you. They stick through a wipe, too.

You only need one. The scripts are more versatile. Run via terminal emulator or adb shell.

ROM
    Infinity & Pool Party

Quote Originally Posted by Adrynalyne View Post
    Yeah, scripts enable/disable, then reboot you. They stick through a wipe, too.

You only need one. The scripts are more versatile. Run via terminal emulator or adb shell.
    Much appreciated sir. First one getting deleted from phone, will keep a copy on my pc though. Buh Bye.
    Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?

Instructions on how to flash ROMs, Kernels, Patches, and Mods through clockworkmod recovery, CWM: DroidXcon's CWM Thread

If you add me on Google+, please list your AC username as a nickname so I know who you are.

thanks a lot Adrynalyne! this was really annoying me too and seems to take a really long time on froyo
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    1,688 Global Posts
    ROM
    GummyCharge 1.9.1

OK, so downloaded the script zip... Now what?

ROM
    Infinity & Pool Party

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Gossett View Post
    OK, so downloaded the script zip... Now what?
    Flash it through cwm, then open up terminal emulator, next to the $ type su, hit the enter key, wait for super user permission, then a # will appear and next to that type fast_media, hit the enter key. Done. I still haven't figured out adb, so I don't know if it is the same exact method for adb.

Thanked by:

Looks good, flashed it and ran scripts through terminal emulator then rebooted. Safe mode appeared on the home screen along with widgets not working. I did another reboot and its gone, looked like a small hiccup other than that loving the faster startup!
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Infinity & Pool Party

Quote Originally Posted by vi3tboiii54 View Post
    Looks good, flashed it and ran scripts through terminal emulator then rebooted. Safe mode appeared on the home screen along with widgets not working. I did another reboot and its gone, looked like a small hiccup other than that loving the faster startup!
    Glad to hear that Captain Tenneal. And what do we always say? Don't get eliminated!

Global Posts
    1,213 Global Posts
    ROM
    Gummy ICS

Quote Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
    Flash it through cwm, then open up terminal emulator, next to the $ type su, hit the enter key, wait for super user permission, then a # will appear and next to that type fast_media, hit the enter key. Done. I still haven't figured out adb, so I don't know if it is the same exact method for adb.
    I am going to email it to myself then go to TE and run the script. Any objections?
    עם ישראל חי

Global Posts
    1,213 Global Posts
    ROM
    Gummy ICS

Where do I copy it to or how can I change my path?
    עם ישראל חי

Global Posts
    258 Global Posts

Will the SD card still get scanned everytime you reboot?

Thanks

ROM
    ROM / Kernel of the day

Quote Originally Posted by sushiguy732 View Post
    Where do I copy it to or how can I change my path?
    If you don't understand ADB best to just flash through CWM Red as Landshark stated.

Put the .zip anywhere on your SD card. Boot to Recovery and when you get to the option for apply .zip from SDCard you will see all your folders. If it is in a folder go there if it is on the root of your SDCard use the vol up and down keys to scroll to it. Power key to select it.

Global Posts
    1,213 Global Posts
    ROM
    Gummy ICS

Quote Originally Posted by Suicide Shift View Post
    If you don't understand ADB best to just flash through CWM Red as Landshark stated.

Put the .zip anywhere on your SD card. Boot to Recovery and when you get to the option for apply .zip from SDCard you will see all your folders. If it is in a folder go there if it is on the root of your SDCard use the vol up and down keys to scroll to it. Power key to select it.
    It wasn't a zip file or I would have tried that first. Looks like I DLed a script. Where do I get the zip file from?

Edit: The file I DLed was a zip but the two files in it had no extension.
    עם ישראל חי

Global Posts
    1,213 Global Posts
    ROM
    Gummy ICS

Quote Originally Posted by sushiguy732 View Post
    It wasn't a zip file or I would have tried that first. Looks like I DLed a script. Where do I get the zip file from?

Edit: The file I DLed was a zip but the two files in it had no extension.
    Never mind... I am a ******... I figured it out and got it to work. Thanks all!
    עם ישראל חי

So far I have not had an issue with SC 2.9.1. But when I ran fast_media I think it put the .nomedia file on the root of the SD card. Then the media scanner deleted all the image files off my the SD Card. From what I found out there is a bug in Google Froyo media scanner.

ROM
    Infinity & Pool Party

Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddy rob View Post
    Will the SD card still get scanned everytime you reboot?

Thanks
    Yes the SD card will still get scanned. What doesn't get scanned are the read only files on your phone which don't need to be scanned according to what Adrynalyne said when he first posted the script.

I have placed the media_scanner_fast.zip file on the root of my sd card, but when I flash into recovery mode (3-finger method) and choose that zip file, I'm getting a "E:can't open /sdcard/media_scanner_fast.zip(bad)" message. I've erased and re-downloaded the file a second time and tried it again only to get the same result. I love the idea of a truncated media scanner process so I'd love some advice.

Default Re: [MOD]Speed up media scanner

EбaHyTый caйT и егo ёбHyTaяa aдMиHиcTPация - я должен был полчаса регистрироваться через 3kbps GPRS, искать левый почтовый ящик, что бы увидеть доxлую ссылку да ёщё спижжеHHyю с ХDА. Myдakи.