Verizon Fascinate: Tools and Quick links - PLEASE Read post#1 before posting in this forum

spencer0279

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
i tried it with the 32bit one and the one that pops up when i plug in my phone ( the atlas one or whatever )

i have it in debugging, stay awake, ask on connection for usb.

gwhitevt

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
First - thank you for the amazing list of fantastic instructions.

I just completed going back to stock - I was running EB01 with Root, and am now back to EA28 Stock. (flashing DI01 using ODIN per instructions)

I forced a system update and got EA28, then after reboot it prompted for another update (Froyo) - I downloaded, hit OK, it rebooted, and attempted to update - but failed - it came back up saying Update Failed. I did have a problem with the download where it got stuck at 38% forever so I rebooted, which could have corrupted the download - so, I am DLing again now to try.

Anyone have issues with the official ED01 update failing after coming back from Root?
Also - I have a "VooDoo" folder on my SD card, but don't recall ever installing Voodoo anything - anyone know where that came from?

thanks,
Gordon

Lttlwing16

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
First - thank you for the amazing list of fantastic instructions.

I just completed going back to stock - I was running EB01 with Root, and am now back to EA28 Stock. (flashing DI01 using ODIN per instructions)

I forced a system update and got EA28, then after reboot it prompted for another update (Froyo) - I downloaded, hit OK, it rebooted, and attempted to update - but failed - it came back up saying Update Failed. I did have a problem with the download where it got stuck at 38% forever so I rebooted, which could have corrupted the download - so, I am DLing again now to try.

Anyone have issues with the official ED01 update failing after coming back from Root?
Also - I have a "VooDoo" folder on my SD card, but don't recall ever installing Voodoo anything - anyone know where that came from?

thanks,
Gordon

Voodoo file is just there, It doesn't do anything unless you have lag_fix enable, which you probably don't unless you enabled it, which I am guessing you didn't. It's of no concern.

If your still having a lot of problemo's

You might think about re-flashing back to 2.9 via ODIN and getting to official Froyo by following this thread :

http://forum.androidcentral.com/ver...70-howto-get-ed01-official-froyo-quickly.html

just a thought.. :)

gwhitevt

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the help. I re downloaded the official update, it worked, and am running stock ED01, all good. I am sure I will root again at some point, but want to play around with the stock set up for bit....

Love the ability to have my work exchange account and hotmail account on the phone at the same time, and its silky smooth fast. very nice bump, sorry we had to wait 6 months longer then we should have.

colbys83

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
This is totally a rookie question, but for post 5 how do you do "The Following file is to be downloaded and put on the root of your SD card". Everything else I think I can do, I am just not sure about this one. Thanks

pikanate

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
This is totally a rookie question, but for post 5 how do you do "The Following file is to be downloaded and put on the root of your SD card". Everything else I think I can do, I am just not sure about this one. Thanks

When you put something on the root of your sd card it means to not put it in a folder. Just simply put it on your sd card.

Oh and welcome to Android Central :)

DrGonzzo

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
ADB push

Hey guys,trying to reroot my Dads phone after he too the update,su is still installed but deff lost root.I've run the adb method several times over obviously getting the su already exist,after rebooting and checkin root several times still no luck.Do I need to remove the su from before update or is there a work around?

bobbyhalick

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm a noob :(

I was rooted and debloated and followed the amazingly simple odin instructions for restoring your phone back to stock, and everything worked out great. I then updated to the official froyo through verizon's network, and now I'm on 2.2!

But I want to root again... And I tried doing the single click method after reading another forum which led me back here, and that failed as I thought it would.

What would be the best, and easiest, way for me to re-root. I'd like to stay on the official release if possible... I read through this whole forum and couldn't find any post that clearly answered this question... Thanks for the help guys!

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm a noob :(

I was rooted and debloated and followed the amazingly simple odin instructions for restoring your phone back to stock, and everything worked out great. I then updated to the official froyo through verizon's network, and now I'm on 2.2!

But I want to root again... And I tried doing the single click method after reading another forum which led me back here, and that failed as I thought it would.

What would be the best, and easiest, way for me to re-root. I'd like to stay on the official release if possible... I read through this whole forum and couldn't find any post that clearly answered this question... Thanks for the help guys!

Follow the instructions in post #5 in this thread. And welcome to Android Central.

Dr.Brain

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
I am attempting to get the official froyo update coming from SC 2.9.2. Just to make sure that I understand, I can flash DI01 through Odin, go to settings>about phone>system updates and get the EA28 update, then repeat the process to get ED01? It seems so simple, I have the feeling I am missing something. Is this the correct way to go about it? I know there are other threads about the process, but this would seem the easiest way.

jenden

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I tried this method and it did work

This is what I got:( Let me know what I did wrong.

C:\Users\Text>cd C:\FascinateRoot_v02

C:\FascinateRoot_v02>adb devices
* daemon not running. starting it now *
* daemon started successfully *
List of devices attached
I500******** device

C:\FascinateRoot_v02>adb push rage.bin /data/local/tmp/rage.bin
42 KB/s (5392 bytes in 0.125s)

C:\FascinateRoot_v02>adb shell
$ cd /data/local/tmp
cd /data/local/tmp
$ chmod 0755 rage.bin
chmod 0755 rage.bin
$ ./rage.bin
./rage.bin
[*] CVE-2010-EASY Android local root exploit (C) 2010 by 743C

[*] checking NPROC limit ...
[+] RLIMIT_NPROC={2655, 2655}
[*] Searching for adb ...
[+] Found adb as PID 2368
[*] Spawning children. Dont type anything and wait for reset!
[*]
[*] If you like what we are doing you can send us PayPal money to
[*] 7-4-3-C@web.de so we can compensate time, effort and HW costs.
[*] If you are a company and feel like you profit from our work,
[*] we also accept donations > 1000 USD!
[*]
[*] adb connection will be reset. restart adb server on desktop and re-login.
$
List of devices attached
I500******** device

$ exit
exit

C:\FascinateRoot_v02>adb push su /sdcard/su
333 KB/s (26264 bytes in 0.077s)

$ exit
exit

C:\FascinateRoot_v02>adb push su /sdcard/su
264 KB/s (26264 bytes in 0.097s)

C:\FascinateRoot_v02>adb push busybox /sdcard/busybox
3222 KB/s (1867568 bytes in 0.566s)

$ mount -t rfs -o remount,rw /dev/block/stl9 /system
mount -t rfs -o remount,rw /dev/block/stl9 /system
mount: Operation not permitted
$ cd /system/xbin
cd /system/xbin
$ cat /sdcard/su > ./su
cat /sdcard/su > ./su
cannot create ./su: read-only file system
$ cat /sdcard/busybox > ./busybox
cat /sdcard/busybox > ./busybox
cannot create ./busybox: read-only file system
$ chmod 4755 su
chmod 4755 su
Unable to chmod su: No such file or directory
$ chmod 4755 busybox
chmod 4755 busybox
Unable to chmod busybox: No such file or directory
$ exit
exit

C:\FascinateRoot_v02>adb install Superuser.apk
1400 KB/s (196521 bytes in 0.137s)
pkg: /data/local/tmp/Superuser.apk
Success
^C
C:\FascinateRoot_v02>

What builds will this work on: All builds
What Downloads will i need:
One click zip file
FascinateRoot_v02
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Directions: (Assuming you followed preparations from Post #1)

With your phone in debugging mode set to stay awake
1.Extract downloaded FascinateRoot_v02.zip file directly to your C:\ Drive
so that it looks like this C:\FascinateRoot_v02

2. Now go to your start button on your menu bar,in the run field or search field depending on your version of windows, type CMD and hit enter. The command box will present itself. From here on out just copy and paste the commands i will provide below. To paste in the command box you must right click on the mouse and select paste. Do not paste BOLD text below those are just for info.

Commands are as follows:

cd C:\FascinateRoot_v02

adb devices

It will state
"List of devices attached
I500******* device"
If you dont see this you are not connected

adb push rage.bin /data/local/tmp/rage.bin

adb shell

cd /data/local/tmp

chmod 0755 rage.bin

This step is important. After you type the next command there will be a pause and you will have to wait until you are kicked out of adb shell. It is important you do not touch your phone or type anything in the command window. If you do don't worry, nothing bad will happen you will most likely have to pull your battery and try to run the command again. If your phone doesn't lock up you can probably unplug it and plug it back in and start back at "adb shell"

./rage.bin

After several seconds the $ prompt will come back
After another 20 seconds or so you will be kicked back to the C:\FascinateRoot_v02 prompt.

adb devices

If your device is still connected proceed,if not give it a min or to and type adb devices again. if the phone is locked up after a couple mins battery pull and start over.

adb shell

You should now be at a # prompt
This mean you have achieved temporary root on the device.

exit

You should now be at the C:\rootfiles prompt again
Type the following commands:

adb push su /sdcard/su

adb push busybox /sdcard/busybox

adb shell

mount -t rfs -o remount,rw /dev/block/stl9 /system

cd /system/xbin

cat /sdcard/su > ./su

cat /sdcard/busybox > ./busybox

chmod 4755 su

chmod 4755 busybox

exit

You should be back at the C:\FascinateRoot_v02 prompt

adb install Superuser.apk

It will now install the Superuser.apk this may take some time while it installs when it is over it will say:

Success-after you see Success hit Ctrl-C Then reset your device

3. You have now achieved Root, congrats. If this didnt work for you well then :confused: time for a different approach.

Here is a screen shot of what i did, you will see some mistakes i made... and at the end it says failure but i had already manually installed the Superuser.apk so thats the reason for that. this is just to give you an Idea of what you are getting yourself involved with.

rooting.png

GOOD LUCK!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trouble Shooting

During process it can not push file because it says file not found
A file in the FascinateRoot_v02 folder is missing or corrupted. Download FascinateRoot_v02.zip file again. and restart the process.

adb push: Permission Denied
SD card is mounted to your, if the sdcard is mounted there is no way for the adb to push files from your computer to your phone and on to the sdcard.. please drop down notification bar and turn off usb storage Close out and start again

Prompt tells you that you do not have permissions

The process failed to grant you temporary root access. Close out and begin again.

Error Device not found
If this happens after continuing after first reboot, this means that the phone was not properly connected before continuing. After reboot unplug the phone, plug it back in, disable media sync, mount then unmount SD card then continue.

After installing Superuser.apk States Install failed already exists
Chances are at some point the apk was downloaded from previous attempts to root your device. Just ignore proceed to reboot device. Download Titanium backup, open it and see if it asks you to allow or deny Superuser access. if these options come up means you are rooted. If not try the rooting process over

Additional Conditions to check
1. Check to make sure you installed the Samsung Drivers
2. Make sure your phone is connected using the original cable that came with the phone
3. Verify that debugging is enabled.
4. Try to run it again
5. If you are receiving errors then your phones drivers were not installed
6. If you are having a different please post here so we can help you.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
This is what I got:( Let me know what I did wrong.

C:\Users\Text>cd C:\FascinateRoot_v02

* daemon not running. starting it now *
* daemon started successfully *
List of devices attached
I500******** device

C:\FascinateRoot_v02>adb push rage.bin /data/local/tmp/rage.bin
42 KB/s (5392 bytes in 0.125s)

$ cd /data/local/tmp
cd /data/local/tmp
$ chmod 0755 rage.bin
chmod 0755 rage.bin
$ ./rage.bin
./rage.bin
[*] CVE-2010-EASY Android local root exploit (C) 2010 by 743C

[*] checking NPROC limit ...
[+] RLIMIT_NPROC={2655, 2655}
[*] Searching for adb ...
[+] Found adb as PID 2368
[*] Spawning children. Dont type anything and wait for reset!
[*]
[*] If you like what we are doing you can send us PayPal money to
[*] 7-4-3-C@web.de so we can compensate time, effort and HW costs.
[*] If you are a company and feel like you profit from our work,
[*] we also accept donations > 1000 USD!
[*]
[*] adb connection will be reset. restart adb server on desktop and re-login.
$
List of devices attached
I500******** device

$ exit
exit

this part went wrong
adb shell You should now be at a # prompt This mean you have achieved temporary root on the device. exit

pull the battery and try again from the top

newbie4ever

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know if there's a way to use bluetooth microphone for speech to text, some kind of voodoo app or patch?

Sent from my finger to my phone to this post using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463