Multiple themes then reset

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
OK I seriously have the bug. I have done the rooting thing and SC 2.9.1.

Now last night I flashed my first theme, Nitrodark and love it. The "problem" is that I want to give them all a try and see which one I like best. Bare with me and I will get to my question

Things I think I know:

1. Flashing multiple themes on top of each other could/will leave "remnants" that may bog down the phone and lead to decreased battery life (not permanent damage to the battery, but excessive usage until I "reset" it)

2. If I flash something wrong (maybe flashing wrong theme for the wrong kernel) I can always flash SC 2.9 (or whatever) and that clears everything out (in other words restores the OS and kernel to a matching state)

3. When I do finally decide on one, I should do a wipe and then reapply, including getting rid of the caches.

Is there anything else I need to know? Am I wrong on any of the things I think I know?

aerichards1977

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I do not personally use themes "yet", but from what I have read, the best idea is to make sure that you do a TB and nandroid backup before you apply any themes. Once you find a theme you like, redo from your unaltered nandroid backup and then apply the theme that you decide on. This should allow you the best base to apply your theme onto. Themes always have risks, but again from what I've read, this is what most people suggest. Did I miss anything?

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I do not personally use themes "yet", but from what I have read, the best idea is to make sure that you do a TB and nandroid backup before you apply any themes. Once you find a theme you like, redo from your unaltered nandroid backup and then apply the theme that you decide on. This should allow you the best base to apply your theme onto. Themes always have risks, but again from what I've read, this is what most people suggest. Did I miss anything?

I left that out because i already have a theme on there with my SC base. I dont have anything really setup, so I was gonna skip doing a backup of what I have right now, play around with themes, then do a total wipe and apply the one theme I like.

I think a backup, and then applying another theme over the one that is on here is asking for an issue...

I could be wrong though and still am looking for more opinions.

TYVM for the reply aerichards

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I left that out because i already have a theme on there with my SC base. I dont have anything really setup, so I was gonna skip doing a backup of what I have right now, play around with themes, then do a total wipe and apply the one theme I like.

I think a backup, and then applying another theme over the one that is on here is asking for an issue...

I could be wrong though and still am looking for more opinions.

TYVM for the reply aerichards

Hey pizza. Probably would have been a good idea to throw these questions in Jaekar99's themes thread http://forum.androidcentral.com/ver...ks-roms-themes-kernels-updated-3-20-11-a.html because these are excellent questions and others looking for answers on themes would benefit from seeing this there. The moderator may take care of that for us (and here's my second attempt in my new game - Jaekar's themes thread), but here are a few answers. Jaekar99, Suicide Shift and I have been working on this problem of switching between themes for a few weeks now. So far what we've come up with is it's a good idea to wipe cache and dalvik cache when applying a new theme. If you still have problems after that we have found doing things piecemeal works. So you would boot to cwm, wipe cache and dalvik, flash 2.9, reboot, boot to cwm, wipe cache & dalvik, flash 2.9.1 patch, reboot, boot to cwm, wipe cache and dalvik, flash theme. You can create a nandroid backup of just 2.9 and the 2.9.1 patch, but nandroid backups take so long to restore I have found using the above piecemeal method I was able to get to a complete setup faster than using a nandroid, and that was with having to separately install 2.9, 2.9.1 patch, theme, and three other patches/mods. And I always leave wiping data as a last option for fixes simply because then I have to start from scratch and redo all my settings. Hope this helps.