[How To][Links] Themes, ROMs, Kernels, Boot Animations: 9-16-11

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I have been fixing permissions via adb exclusively the past few days. I have not flashed a theme during that time though.. that will get done - when all the side projects die down.

So you can fix permissions through adb while the phone is currently in recovery? That will help.

JaeKar99

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
So you can fix permissions through adb while the phone is currently in recovery? That will help.

You do not have to boot into recovery.. Just plug the phone in to the computer and use adb via terminal or by (what I do) - open the MSDOS prompt in the folder where adb lives.. then type:
adb shell
fxpms

that will do it... I will then reboot either by typing (reboot) then enter or unplug the phone and use the power options.

cwd500

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Right now I am running sc2.9.1 with eb16 voodoo kernel, and nitro honeycomb. If I want to change themes would it be best to just flash sc2.9 voodoo, and then just flash everything else?

sent from my super clean 2.9.1 voodoo fascinate

JaeKar99

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
Right now I am running sc2.9.1 with eb16 voodoo kernel, and nitro honeycomb. If I want to change themes would it be best to just flash sc2.9 voodoo, and then just flash everything else?

I would suggest that you flash the theme you want over the current theme after your clear your caches.

Bolt_of_Thunder

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
You will need to use Clockwork to back up your ROM.

Post #6 in this DroidXcon's clockwork thread. That should get you going down the right path.

Got it figured out. I was thinking you could only do nandroid backup thru rom manager. Another question: If I end up not liking the theme I installed is the order of getting back to the clean rom i just backed up as follows?

1. Flash EB01 Froyo modem
2. Flash SC 2.9

Would I need to delete anything before I did the above? Thanks for being patient with another newbie!

JaeKar99

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
Got it figured out. I was thinking you could only do nandroid backup thru rom manager. Another question: If I end up not liking the theme I installed is the order of getting back to the clean rom i just backed up as follows?

1. Flash EB01 Froyo modem
2. Flash SC 2.9

Would I need to delete anything before I did the above? Thanks for being patient with another newbie!

You do not need to re-flash the modem. Just clear the Dalvik cache and the cache partition before you reflash SC 2.9.

JaeKar99

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
I thought that would cause problems.

Only if you are restoring a themed ROM from a backup. There have been issues with with themes being flashed on top of each other in tandem causing issues..

There less risks of a boot loop.

JeremytheIndian

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
10-4 I thought that might be case but I wasn't sure, I went through and rethanked for the extra effort and keeping things clean and organized for all our customizing needs.

jjcasillas15

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Need some help... Newly rooted and loving it! I flashed my first theme yesterday (NitroDark Eclipse v3.0) and it went well. Worked great. I wanted to try other ones, just to check them out and the only other one that would work was NitroComb. Nothing else. I must of tried about 6 other themes. When installing it would stop and say ...
" Amend Scripting (Update Script) is no longer supported. Amend scripting was deprecated by Google in ANdroid 1.5. Please Switch to Edify Scripting to create working update zip packages. Installation aborted"

Any ideas?? Thanks.

JaeKar99

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
Need some help... Newly rooted and loving it! I flashed my first theme yesterday (NitroDark Eclipse v3.0) and it went well. Worked great. I wanted to try other ones, just to check them out and the only other one that would work was NitroComb. Nothing else. I must of tried about 6 other themes. When installing it would stop and say ...
" Amend Scripting (Update Script) is no longer supported. Amend scripting was deprecated by Google in ANdroid 1.5. Please Switch to Edify Scripting to create working update zip packages. Installation aborted"

Any ideas?? Thanks.

You are using Clockwork Mod Recovery version 3.0.0.8. It will not install the Amend scripts.. Nitro(Dark/Eclipse) are written so that they will install (currently the only ones that will)

You will need to use a the Clockwork Mod Recovery version 2.5.1.x - it is installed via Odin.. This file will need to be flashed in Odin. - Follow the instructions located here - To install this file. - Subsittute the file name of the downloaded file..
Once you have this flashed to your phone: Reinstall your battery and power up the phone. You now have CWM 2.5.1.x installed (and CWM 3.0.0.8 as update.zip on sdcard)...

Don't use ROM Manager or update.zip after installing this file. You should use your power button Recovery option or boot into recovery via the vol up+down+power sequence.

You should avoid using the CWM 3.0.0.8 unless the theme/ROM is Edify ready. You will get nothing but errors.

Reactions: jjcasillas15

jjcasillas15

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
You are using Clockwork Mod Recovery version 3.0.0.8. It will not install the Amend scripts.. Nitro(Dark/Eclipse) are written so that they will install (currently the only ones that will)

You will need to use a the Clockwork Mod Recovery version 2.5.1.x - it is installed via Odin.. This file will need to be flashed in Odin. - Follow the instructions located here - To install this file. - Subsittute the file name of the downloaded file..
Once you have this flashed to your phone: Reinstall your battery and power up the phone. You now have CWM 2.5.1.x installed (and CWM 3.0.0.8 as update.zip on sdcard)...

Don't use ROM Manager or update.zip after installing this file. You should use your power button Recovery option or boot into recovery via the vol up+down+power sequence.

You should avoid using the CWM 3.0.0.8 unless the theme/ROM is Edify ready. You will get nothing but errors.

Should I uninstall the ROM Manager app that I have or just not use it in the future? Thanks for all your help.

JaeKar99

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
Should I uninstall the ROM Manager app that I have or just not use it in the future? Thanks for all your help.

You can choose to uninstall if you wish. It currently has very little benefit to running on the Samsung Fascinate. I do not currently use it.

If you do choose to remove ROM Manager, you will need to remember to remove the update.zip file currently on your sdcard. That is where CWM version 3.0.0.8 (Orange) lives.

When the newer versions of themes and ROMS that use Edify become more readily available we will need to start using CWM Orange.. until then stick with CWM Red.

jjcasillas15

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
You can choose to uninstall if you wish. It currently has very little benefit to running on the Samsung Fascinate. I do not currently use it.

If you do choose to remove ROM Manager, you will need to remember to remove the update.zip file currently on your sdcard. That is where CWM version 3.0.0.8 (Orange) lives.

When the newer versions of themes and ROMS that use Edify become more readily available we will need to start using CWM Orange.. until then stick with CWM Red.

Followed your directions and now rocking a sweet green theme (VA 1.9.2). Once again thanks for your help! Wife is going to hate you now though cause all I'm going to be doing is messing the phone LOL.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX