[How To] First time ╰╮╰╮ROOTING╰╮╰╮ walk-through 4/28/11

Sheepdog Elite

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
[How To] First time ╰╮╰╮ROOTING╰╮╰╮ walk-through 4/28/11

ABANDONED

This thread is a step by step walk through of a basic root, recovery, and rom/kernel flash.

Please post only if you're contributing to this thread's content. For questions please ask in the appropriate master thread for the step you're having trouble with.

This Thread will get you to functional EB01 teaching you how to install stand alone components such as new kernels and roms.

Index
Post #2: Installing CWM. (This lets you flash components without a PC.)
Post #3: Establishing root
Post #4: Using CWM to flash kernels and Roms.
Post #5: Flashing a theme.
Post #6: Installing new boot and shutdown animations.
Post #7: Advanced techniques and all in one flashing. (Voodoo, and complete odin packages.)

Welcome to the fascinate forums. If you are new to rooting you should open The beginning rooters read me in a parallel tab for reference as you progress. Rooting is an easy process, and if you do it properly you can generally avoid any complications. If something does go wrong DON'T PANIC. Recovery is easy as long as you have a PC handy. Don't be afraid to ask for help if you get stuck or have problems.

If you are a Mac user you will want to use the techniques presented in THIS THREAD to replace the instructions for rooting, and installing CWM. Feel free to thank Braydon525 for putting this information together. Odin is not available for Mac users so this information makes a great substitute.

Feel free to swap the files used in our demonstrations for whatever files you prefer. Keep in find that your Roms, Kernels, and Themes should all use the same base. If you're not sure, ask questions.

For the process you will want:
1. The USB cable that came with your phone, make sure to plug into a USB port on the back of your desktop computer, or one of the main USB ports on a laptop (not a hub of some sort).
2. Your fascinate which is ready to be freed like a bird.
3. The files we will tell you to download for your rooting process.
4. You will need to be updated to at least DL09. You can achieve this with OTA updates from verizon.

The android dictionary will also help you understand some terms used in the process of rooting.

To use this thread you'll want to follow the step by step instructions. Topic specific threads are linked for more information about what and why your are doing things.

If you have questions, or encounter problems please post them in the appropriate thread for what you are having problems with.

*Rooting can void your warranty (if you don't return to stock before you warranty your phone), it has inherent risks so you should pay close attention to any warnings provided, and follow instructions implicitly.*

Last edited:

Sheepdog Elite

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Credit for these instructions goes 100% to DroidXCon. I copied and pasted.

If you intend to simply root your phone you'll need to download the Super user package found HERE. Create a folder on your SD card called "Roms" or whatever you prefer, and place this file there.

If you plan on flashing another ROM and kernel you will need to download them and place them on your SD card in a folder called "Roms" or whatever you prefer. A sample Rom and Kernel are linked in post #4, download them ahead of time to avoid repeating step #2.

For more information please see this posts Master Thread

DO NOT USE ROM MANAGER TO DOWNLOAD RECOVERY! CWM FROM ROM MANAGER DOES NOT WORK WITH THE FASCINATE!

(The big red machine says)
Red CWM ALL:is fully functional clockwork recovery that does not require update.zip, it will boot into clockwork directly without going through stock recovery.Installation requries Odin, there are other ways but they require much more work and knowledge of adb. But for this tutorial i will only provide instructions for odin

Installing CWM ALL instructions and downloads

Installing with odin:

1. Download and intsall the Fascinate drivers found

64bit: Drivers HERE
or
32bit: Drivers HERE

(If you're follow this thread skip step one.)
2. Download the ODIN file HERE
3. If your phone is plugged into your computer, unplug it now.
4. If your phone is not powered down, power it down now.
5. Remove battery from phone.
6. Launch ODIN on PC.
7. Plug USB cable into phone.
8. Plug your Fascinate into the PC via USB cable.
9. Press and hold the volume-down key.
10. You should now see a gigantic yellow triangle and your phone will be in download mode. You can now release the volume key.
11. Click on the PDA button in ODIN. Do NOT click the Phone button.
12. Choose the file cwm-recovery-ALL.tar which can be downloaded HERE
13. When all the above conditions have been met hit the Start button
14. Odin will give you a success/failure message when the flash is completed. If you succeed you can proceed. If not, you'll need to reflash via odin and attempt to correct the problem. Problems solving steps you can try:
a1. Make sure you're plugged into USB ports on your computers mother board. (back of the tower, or side of the laptop, not a USB hub.
a2. Samsung drivers are installed. You'll need to run the file you downloaded earlier to install the drivers. No magic "it just works" downloads here.
a3. The battery is out of your phone. If it failed this way try the process with the battery in.
a4. Use the USB cable that came with your phone. If that cable is not available then you should use a 3ft high quality cable.

15. At this point the phones screen will go black, and you can unplug the USB cable from the phone.

Do not boot the phone up at this point. You'll need to flash the root file via CWM. If you boot up at this point the stock kernel will overwrite the file you just installed, and you'll boot into blue recovery. Repeat this section if you run into this problem.

Entering clockwork recovery ALL
With the phone off press and hold Volume up+Volume down+Power button.
Samsung logo will flash twice, after the second one let go of the buttons.
This will lead you into clockwork.

Controlling Clockwork:

Red Clockwork
Volume up and down = Scroll up and down
Menu= Back / Screen sleep
Home= Screen sleep
Back= Select
Power= Select
Search= Back

Kanged from DroidXCon with permission

Last edited by a moderator:

Sheepdog Elite

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
This process will establish root on your phone. For other methods please see this threads master thread

To establish root you'll need to boot into CWM.

If you are following the guide beginning to end you'll need to reinsert your phones battery.

1. With the phone powered off press and hold the volume up, volume down, and power buttons simultaneously. Hold the buttons until the samsung logo comes up, then goes black, then comes back up. Release the buttons now and you'll enter CWM.
2. Scroll down to "install zip from sdcard" and hit the power button.
3. Scroll down to "choose zip from sdcard" and hit the power button.
4. Scroll down to your "roms" folder, and hit the power button.
5. Scroll down to the su-2.3.6.1+busybox1.19.zip file and hit the power button.

After the file has finished installing you can hit the menu button to back out to the main clockwork recovery menu. Do not reboot your phone at this point if you want to flash a Rom or Kernel. Rebooting your phone will replace the CWM we flashed with the stock recovery.

If you just wanted to root you phone you can now reboot.

Last edited:

Sheepdog Elite

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Now we're going to use CWM to flash a rom. Kernels are flashed the same way. If you decide to use a voodoo kernel, make sure that you disable voodoo via CWM before you flash a non-voodoo kernel. When in doubt, disable first.

We're going to use the ED01 (froyo) debloated/deodexed rom from adrynalyne just to keep from straying too far off the beaten path.

Download the file HERE

We'll be using the EC10 stock non-voodoo kernel. It should work fine with ED01, and I've tested it myself.

Download the file HERE.

If we don't replace the kernel then it will continue to over-write our recovery with the stock recovery.

You'll need to copy these files to your SD card. Hopefull you've already created a folder to organize your future ROMs and Kernels on your sdcard, and called it "ROMS" or whatever you prefer.

You should already be booted into recovery.

Scroll down to "backup and restore" and hit the power button, "backup" should be highlighted as the first item on the list, press the power button. This creates a copy of your rom including pretty much everything in case we need it to repair a bad flash. The backup file will be on your SD card, in the clockwork folder, under backups, and uses a date for the name of the folder.

We are going to clear the way for flashing a new ROM, and kernel. Flashing subsequent builds of the same ROM will not require step 1., nor will new compatible kernels. Just steps 2. through 4. We'll go through the motions so you're familiar with the process.

1. Scroll down to "wipe data/factory reset" and hit the power button. (This deletes all user data and resets the phone to default.)
2. Scroll down to "wipe cache partition" and hit the power button. (This deletes all non-essential system temporary files I believe?)
3. Scroll down to "advanced" and hit the power button.
4. Scroll down to "Wipe dalvik cache". (This deletes non-essential app infrastructure and temporary files I believe?)

When this is done you can press the menu capacitive button to back out to the main CWM menu. Now we'll flash a Rom.

1. Scroll down to "install zip from sdcard" and hit the power button.
2. Scroll down to "choose zip from sdcard" and hit the power button.
3. Scroll down to your "roms" folder, and hit the power button.
4. Select the "ed01_debloat_debing.zip " file, and hit the power button.
5. Scroll down to "yes" and hit the power button.

Now we'll flash the custom kernel we downloaded earlier

1. Scroll down to "install zip from sdcard" and hit the power button.
2. Scroll down to "choose zip from sdcard" and hit the power button.
3. Scroll down to your "roms" folder, and hit the power button.
4. Select the "ec10_nonvoodoo.zip" file, and hit the power button.
5. Scroll down to "yes" and hit the power button.

When this is done, hit the menu button to back out to the main CWM menu, and select Reboot system.

After wiping the dalvik cache and cache partition the next reboot will take a while. Don't worry unless it takes more that 10-15 minutes.

This process can be completed with any compatible kernel and rom. If you have followed the instructions here you'll have a fairly normal fascinate running froyo, and can now restore your apps + (selective) system data with titanium backup. Be sure to deselect any verizon apps that you don't want to be on your new system, since they are most likely removed in the new build.

Generally restoring system data is not recommended when you have flashed an new rom, over a non-compatible one, and can cause major problems. If you don't care about your text messages/call log/system settings you can just restore missing apps +data with minimal chances of complications.

Last edited:

Sheepdog Elite

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
This post was written by JaeKar99, and modified for readability and continuity by myself. Please thank JaeKar99 for the large amount of time he invests in maintaining our rom/kernel/theme index.

This posts master thread can be found HERE

[How To] Flash a Theme; Basics

If you have used an alternative Rom that the example you'll want to be sure it's deodexed. Most custom Roms are. Non-Deodexed Roms will not accept themes.

Blue text will follow the sample build we've been following so far.

Direct Instructions: Please read through instructions to completion before beginning this process.
1. Attention: When selecting the theme you want to install; you must ensure a few things are in order first (before downloading): The ROM you are running must be deodexed, and the ROM and theme must be compatible. They must have the same base (EB01, DL30, DL09… etc.). If either of these is not satisfied your phone will likely have serious force close issues at the least and you could brick it at the worst.
2. Flashing through Clockwork Mod Recovery: This section presupposes that you are familiar and comfortable with using CWM and flashing zips:
a. Once you have established your ROM you have and the theme you want match up, Download that theme to your computer – will be file with the .zip extension.
b. Then attach your phone via the usb cable and connect usb storage via the phone.
c. Copy the downloaded theme.zip file to the "Roms" folder on your sdcard (or whichever folder you prefer).
d. When the copy is completely loaded to the phone, disconnect, and boot into recovery. Access the recovery menu the same way your did previously.
e. Wipe the Dalvik cache, and the cache partition, via CWM recovery. Caution: There are some who choose not to do this step and have not suffered any unpleasant outcomes.. (and others have their phones become bricks). It is at your discretion. However, it is recommended by many theme builders.
f. Once you choose to clear cache (or not) – navigate to install zip from sdcard.
g. Navigate to the location where you saved the theme.zip file on your sdcard.
h. Install the zip.
i. Once the file has installed return to the main menu, by pressing the menu button, and reboot phone. It will take about 2-4 minutes to reboot - be patient. [/COLOR][/U]

You have just installed your first theme.

Additional Cautions:
There are several reports of boot-loops upon attempts to restore backups of themed ROMs. Some of these nandroid backups (dictionary link) are corrupted, not stable and will freeze at the boot animation with odd haptic feedback without fully loading or go into a force close loop.. These backups cannot be restored and is strongly suggested that they be deleted in favor of a stable base ROM backup. Without a stable ROM backup a re-flash of the base ROM after clearing the Dalvik cache and cache partition is required..

Last edited:

Sheepdog Elite

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks once again to JaeKar99 for putting together instructions for how to install boot animations. The master thread for this post can be found HERE
starting with post #7.

We'll skip an example file for this since this is totally optional, and contributes little to the overall phone experience.

Boot Animation Installation Methods A & B: (Basics)
Boot Animation Installation Method A: Flashing in Recovery
Use this method only if instructions read “Flash in Recovery” – If it does not you must use method B.

1. Download to PC the file you desire and copy to your sdcard.
2. Boot into recovery. – Navigate to install zip from sdcard.
3. Find the zip file that you know contains the boot animation.
4. Use your power key to select
5. Select “yes” - install. Note if it does not flash or gets hung up it is a zip file that is not developed to be flashed. You will need to use Method B.

Boot Animation Installation Method B: Manually replacing the bootanimation.zip

1. Download to your PC and copy the “bootanimation.zip” file to your sdcard. – If the file you downloaded is not labeled bootanimation.zip the kernel will not recognize it and it will not play when the phone is booted.
2. You will need a file manager with super user permissions and rights. There is a couple on the market – Root Explorer or Super User. Must ensure that R/W is enabled. I am using Root Explorer in these images.
3. In the file manager navigate to the system/media folder (root of the phone) you will see a file named “bootanimation.zip”. Rename it “bootanimation.zip.old”. Or delete it. You can always re-flash the base ROM, or ensure you have a back up to recover this file.
4. Using your file manager navigate to your sdcard and find the bootanimation.zip file and copy it.
5. Navigate back to your system/media folder on the root of the phone and paste the file.
6. Restart your phone. In rare circumstances you may need to restart twice for the animation to work.

You now have a new boot animation installed.

Possible Issues:
R/W Not Enabled in File Manager: If the file manager you are using is not able to read/write to the root of the phone you will not be able to copy or modify the contents of the system/media folder. (Fix) – Ensure that the file manager you are using can perform that task… When using the manager under settings or preferences ensure that this setting is enabled.

Stock ROM installs, custom boot animations and kernels: If you are running a stock ROM (EB01) – and it has a stock boot animation, if you install a boot animation zip file, and a custom kernel – there is a chance you will experience dual (overlapping) boot animations on top of each other. (Fix) – Use your file manager to go into the system/media folder and rename “bootani.qmp” to “bootani.qmp.old” or delete it.

Last edited:

Sheepdog Elite

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
If you have successfully made it this far, then there is only one thing left to say.

CONGRATULATIONS!

You've learned to use Odin to flash .tar and .md5 files, used CWM to flash Roms and Kernels, and learned to apply a flashable .zip file for themeing your phone.

Now that you've learned the basics feel free to take a look at some more advanced resources.

GunnerMike53's How to voodoo - The main lesson here is flashing non-voodoo over voodoo = doodoo

Landshark has been good enough to pre-package adrynalynes debloated rom in odin friendly files for an all in one flashing buffet. Please read his instructions since some of the packages delete all user data and some do not. Head on over to the Prepacked Rom drive through and biggie size yourself some awesome!

Last edited:

thearchetype30xhH

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Root not working on my Galaxy S Fascinatehttp://forum.androidcentral.com/images/smili

To anyone who has experience in rooting, pls help! I tried to "one click" root using the steps described here, and nothing happened..I also looked at the other tip page and tried those steps..I have the latest driver for my device (instlled via a link from this site) as well as FascinateRoot_v02 folder which I extracted to my c drive..any suggestions? Thank you!:eek:

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
To anyone who has experience in rooting, pls help! I tried to "one click" root using the steps described here, and nothing happened..I also looked at the other tip page and tried those steps..I have the latest driver for my device (instlled via a link from this site) as well as FascinateRoot_v02 folder which I extracted to my c drive..any suggestions? Thank you!:eek:

i would need a little more detail than that. did the command prompt come up then immediately close, or did it hold and hang?

fitpays

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Rooting -Anyone from Southern NJ???

Hey Guys, I am considering Rotting my Samsung fascinate. I am nervous as hell about it and I am kind of a hands on sort of guy. I am technically savvy but i would really like to meet up with someone with more experience. I'd gladly buy beer and get this done.

I live in Woodstown NJ, about 30 minutes from Philly.

Please email me at fitpays@yahoo.com if you can help me out.

Thanks!

Krook

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Are you wanting to root si you can flash a new rom or just to de bloat the stock one?

Sent from my super cleaned voodood 2.2 nitro themed fascinate!

esrakes24

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Hey Guys, I am considering Rotting my Samsung fascinate. I am nervous as hell about it and I am kind of a hands on sort of guy. I am technically savvy but i would really like to meet up with someone with more experience. I'd gladly buy beer and get this done.

Thanks!

Using DroidXcon's odin package, found here http://forum.androidcentral.com/ver...tom-roms-w-root-clockwork-updated-3-25-a.html and just taking your time reading the instructions, There is virtually nothing to be nervous about. I felt the same way that you do now, I took the plunge and was like oh damn that was easy as pie, actually easier than pie. lol. So give it a try. If you'd like someone to walk you through it so you'd be more comfortable just pm me and i'd be happy to help out over skype.

myersw

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
One more for doing DriodXcon's all in one. I felt the same way as you. Read lots of threads with varying info. Decided to take the plunge with DroidXcon's and could not be happier with the result.
--bill

fitti28

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site

Thanks!
I would have to agree with everyone. I was nervous as hell but i really wanted to make my phone more mine so one night i finally took the plunge and it's be so much fun and addicting. I come on these forums every night looking for some new theme, kernel, rom whatever. I didnt use droidXcon's directions but in reading them you will have no problem. I am glad to see someone else from SJ looking to take the plunge and root their fascinate. I come to this site, XDA and Fascinate Forums. Everyone is there to help you out. Just jump in! :)

SirValtam

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I downloaded the FascinateRoot_v02.zip and my pc is saying "the compressed(zipped) folder is invalid or corrupted" am I missing something I need?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz