3 days of hell

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Yowza

When I first installed 292 ran into a prob with call log and contacts gone missing. Then I did a nandroid restore of my previously good themed 291. All hell broke loose .. The force close of the devil on bootup. I did data wipes, cache wipes and dalviks up the yin yang...no fixie.

Went back to d101 and tried ALL KINDS of combos of flashing...then nandroid restore and fc hell. Was on eclair for a day (yuck) till I let my emotions settle down. Even called Vzw for a replacement but I couldn't tell them I was on froyo and couldn't reproduce error in clean 2.1 so I told them i would get back to them.

After doing at least 10 nandroid restores, and after every one the fc hell so I figure its the nandroid thats the prob. Long story short...back on 292 and all good.

Just relating my experience and do sc nandroid restores with caution.

Reactions: cordoni

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Yowza

When I first installed 292 ran into a prob with call log and contacts gone missing. Then I did a nandroid restore of my previously good themed 291. All hell broke loose .. The force close of the devil on bootup. I did data wipes, cache wipes and dalviks up the yin yang...no fixie.

Went back to d101 and tried ALL KINDS of combos of flashing...then nandroid restore and fc hell. Was on eclair for a day (yuck) till I let my emotions settle down. Even called Vzw for a replacement but I couldn't tell them I was on froyo and couldn't reproduce error in clean 2.1 so I told them i would get back to them.

After doing at least 10 nandroid restores, and after every one the fc hell so I figure its the nandroid thats the prob. Long story short...back on 292 and all good.

Just relating my experience and do sc nandroid restores with caution.

Yes, sorry we couldn't have better informed everyone, but Jaekar99, Suicide Shift, and I have been doing a ton of work on trying to figure out a fix to the problem of restoring a nandroid backup of anything more than just the base ROM, which is asinine because I can go into cwm, flash the ROM, reboot, boot to cwm, wipe cache and dalvik, flash the theme, reboot, boot to cwm, wipe cache and dalvik, flash patches and mods, and reboot faster than just restoring the nandroid of just the base ROM. We have documented our struggles in Jaekar's old themes thread:
http://forum.androidcentral.com/ver...ks-roms-themes-kernels-updated-3-20-11-a.html

With everything we have been doing to try and put together the "super sticky thread" Sheepdog Elite is typing out for us: http://forum.androidcentral.com/ver...0058-how-first-time-rooting-walk-through.html, the fact that Jaekar's old thread was closed and not thinking about getting a warning out there kind of fell through the cracks. Sorry about that, I will get started on that right away.

JaeKar99

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
Yes, sorry we couldn't have better informed everyone, but Jaekar99, Suicide Shift, and I have been doing a ton of work on trying to figure out a fix to the problem of restoring a nandroid backup of anything more than just the base ROM, which is asinine because I can go into cwm, flash the ROM, reboot, boot to cwm, wipe cache and dalvik, flash the theme, reboot, boot to cwm, wipe cache and dalvik, flash patches and mods, and reboot faster than just restoring the nandroid of just the base ROM. We have documented our struggles in Jaekar's old themes thread:
http://forum.androidcentral.com/ver...ks-roms-themes-kernels-updated-3-20-11-a.html

With everything we have been doing to try and put together the "super sticky thread" Sheepdog Elite is typing out for us: http://forum.androidcentral.com/ver...0058-how-first-time-rooting-walk-through.html, the fact that Jaekar's old thread was closed and not thinking about getting a warning out there kind of fell through the cracks. Sorry about that, I will get started on that right away.

Kept the link to Suicide Shifts fix on the theme instructions... Did not advertise the issue or the possible fix very well. Will enhance that now.

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Its a known issue?

Thats kinda comforting lol ... thought it may only be me

I will continue apologizing to you profusely that you had to go through that. I will get something up right away. Hope it doesn't get pushed back to page 3 within an hour.

JaeKar99

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
Its a known issue?

Thats kinda comforting lol ... thought it may only be me

No you are definitely not alone. I have spent hours over days in bootloops and FC events.. tying to work this out with a simple fix. Landshark also has been working this as well. Thus far. No easy fix.

Best case: Back up your ROM (un-themed) right after you flash it. That would be your fall back if you need it.

I keep a copy of SC 2.9.2 on my sdcard if I have to completely clear/wipe and reflash the ROM.

Sorry it was not clearly advertised.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I will continue apologizing to you profusely that you had to go through that. I will get something up right away. Hope it doesn't get pushed back to page 3 within an hour.

Sharkman, there is absolutely no reason to apologize. Whenever I root/flash/odin or otherwise do hacky things to my phone, I know the risks involved and voluntarily do them. Appreciate the sentiments tho :)

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
No you are definitely not alone. I have spent hours over days in bootloops and FC events.. tying to work this out with a simple fix. Landshark also has been working this as well. Thus far. No easy fix.

Best case: Back up your ROM (un-themed) right after you flash it. That would be your fall back if you need it.

I keep a copy of SC 2.9.2 on my sdcard if I have to completely clear/wipe and reflash the ROM.

Sorry it was not clearly advertised.

Aha so its the themeing of sc that screws the nandroid?

Will reflash 292 w/o theme and nandroid...thx for heads up

JaeKar99

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
Aha so its the themeing of sc that screws the nandroid?

Will reflash 292 w/o theme and nandroid...thx for heads up

That is part of it. CWM is busted.. You can flash zips with it but there are some of features that just don't work right. Backup/restore is affected in some way by themes.

If you try to flash a ROM and theme in the same session - guaranteed bootloop.

papa54

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
That is part of it. CWM is busted.. You can flash zips with it but there are some of features that just don't work right. Backup/restore is affected in some way by themes.

I must be the odd man out as i did a recovery with CWM and then tried the updates dropped the eb16 and then restored and jumped into 2.9.2. and was a buggy load so i restored again with ClockWork and all seemed well so i once again upgraded to 2.9.2.....
probably the only difference was that i rebooted after just about any change cause i see these phones as mini CPU's with a phone,,so any changes i reboot..
worked fine for me so far.. and somehow i managed to keep the honey comb theme.. love that comb with the flashing colors.. where was these phones in the 60's.. lol

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site

Whoa ok ok in my many flashes from op I was doing themes in same session and ya bootloop galore, apps would go missing. That big bzz bzz at boot gets annoying lol Thank god there is TB...way slower than nandroid but pretty effective in getting back.

Hope you guys can find a fix...if you need guinea pig ibe game

Reactions: JaeKar99

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

Whoa ok ok in my many flashes from op I was doing themes in same session and ya bootloop galore, apps would go missing. That big bzz bzz at boot gets annoying lol Thank god there is TB...way slower than nandroid but pretty effective in getting back.

Hope you guys can find a fix...if you need guinea pig ibe game

Thanks for the heads up Jaekar. After reading your post I edited my OP to include a paragraph about flashing ROMs and themes separately.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie