Soft keys are possessed...at times

bxojr

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Hmm. Well, I only get the problem in my car, and my car charger is from Samsung, so I'm not sure the quality of the charger has anything to do with it.

However, I *have* noticed that the problem usually starts happening at a certain point in my afternoon commute. I had been assuming that it was time-dependent, but maybe it's location. It could be that there is weak signal in the area I'm driving through at that time (in fact, I'm pretty sure that is the case).

At any rate, though, I can reliably get the problem to go away by unplugging the charger. So it does sound like it's maybe an interaction between charging and low signal.

Brian_G

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
My theory is the combination of low signal quality with certain chargers causes the phone to increase power draw, slowly damaging the screen. Possibly creating a kind of static discharge effect even when it isn't touched. Perhaps similar to the affect described here:

Strange touch screen feeling while AC charging (static charge or something else) - xda-developers

In theory, this could cause the screen to degrade to the point it does it all the time. Not just when plugged in.

Here's a thread about the original Motorola Droids having a similar problem:

Rogue Droid - HUGE ISSUE!!!! - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

Apparently it was so prevelant they gave it the name "Rogue Droid Syndrome".

I wonder if the charge is controlled through the Kernal. If so, perhaps it could be tweaked in some way? Just a thought.

swenpro

May 10, 2011
Visit site
UPDATE: It has now been 5 days with almost no instance of random soft key presses (maybe once). I have discontinued use of non-OEM charger and have only charged the Fascinate with the stock OEM Samsung wall charger that came with the phone.

You all are great detectives. I think the power source theory is the most plausible at this point.

The dirt theory has gone to the dirt... my phone has just as many fingerprints on it now as it did before, and yet the soft key presses have subsided.

Hopefully will continue to avoid the soft key demon by using the OEM wall charger only!!

rogerlederer

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I think the low signal strength also has a lot to do with it, I never realized until the above poster mentioned it, but it happens exclusively at my parents house and at my work cubical. Those are the two places I get very low signals at. At my parents right now, and I can get it to stop and start phantom pressing by moving close to a window where I get ok service, and then moving to more the middle of the house where I dont. If I can get and hold one bar of 3g service its fine, but if its losing and finding that one bar, I can't do a thing because of phantom presses.

fbomb721

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I have found that it acts up most when my phone is charging, making calls, or using mobile data. I keep mobile data off unless I need it and when I use it is when they act up. The calls and charging I assume are from being overheated.

swenpro

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I have a question.. maybe related to this? Why would my screen sometimes turn back on right away after I hit the power button to shut the screen off? This seems to happen in spurts (like the soft keys issue) and I wonder if it is the same problem or different. When the screen comes back on it is locked, then I hit the power button once more and it stays off like it should have the first time.

P.S. I have been using stock OEM Samsung charger only and still getting some random soft key presses, though maybe less frequently than before.

Brian_G

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
An update... My second phone started acting up like the first one did. I really think the low signal at work caused it to fail again. It got progressively worse like the first phone did.

I got on with customer service to get a third phone last week. This particular rep claimed it was an unknown issue. Nonetheless, she agreed to send a new one and opened an issue with Samsung. I'm thinking they must be aware of it already, but who knows.

Anyway, my third phone exhibited random button presses on day two! They are less intense, but definitely there. I tested by opening an app then just let it sit on my desk at work. The menu will come up randomly and sometimes it won't go to sleep. Not happening as often, but definitely there.

So, my dilemma is whether this is just another "bad" one that was kicked back to me as a refurbished unit or if this is going to happen with every replacement. I'm tempted to claim the missed call issue as I've read they are currently offering the Charge as a replacement in that case. But, I've also read of phantom "search" key presses on that phone! Getting extremely frustrating as I love this phone other than this problem.

swenpro

May 10, 2011
Visit site
@Brian: Thanks for the update on your experience with the random soft keys.

I think you are right about this problem being related to low signal quality. Since I am always traveling to new areas, I see a broad spectrum of signal quality on a day-to-day basis.

I still get these random soft presses, often on a daily basis, but when I do I look at the signal now, it is usually in a 1x area or 0 bars 3G when the random soft key presses occur.

I hope Samsung can resolve this issue with an update. At the least, a band aid could be put over the problem with a bit of code. Like you, it is my only major oustanding issue with the phone at this time, so for now, I plan to put up with this issue and enjoy the rest of the phone!

Oh, and to answer your question, I don't think another new phone will resolve the issue. It is clearly signal-related and your work place just happens to be in one of these sour spots!

awskier08

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
My phone still gets key presses only in bad reception areas.

I can go outside and its fine.

If I connect to the wireless at work its a little better and less key presses but there are still a few. It is less noticable.

Brian_G

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Well, I am sadly giving up on my fascinate. My latest replacement is already getting worse. I called and claimed the missed call issue and was offered a droid charge as a replacement. Since it has physical buttons I am hopeful this will be the end of my issues.

I'm disappointed as I really hoped to try CM7. But at least it looks like OMFGB is being developed for the charge. Can only hope it gets the development love the fascinate got.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty