[FIX][4-1-11]Latest ClockworkMod and SuperClean ROM's - Erasing the CWM Confusion

gizmodroid

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
EDIT: as of 6pm CST, 4/1/2011, it has come to my attention that the fix_permissions script is still unable to auto-mount /dbdata. I will post the fixed and updated files as soon as I can get someone to compile it. In the meantime, the files below still work more correctly than any older files. If you would like to use the fix_permissions script, please access the "Mounts and Storage" script, and mount /system, /data, and /dbdata before running "Fix Permissions".

There seems to be some weirdness in the way that CWM is interacting with the changes between the project voodoo files and JT's initramfs and how they are interacting with CWM. There have been some changes to the way the voodoo handles the mounting operations since the last time that CWM was compiled (almost 2 months ago), and I think these might be the cause.

Everything works fine if you are starting from a clean Stock Odin flash, but upgrading a current cwm install under certain conditions can cause the partitions to be unable to mount correctly, which might result in a loss of your user data.

I'm currently Looking into it, and hope to find where the changes have occurred in the kernel that have caused the CWM incompatibility under these certain occasions. Sadly, it did not come up in testing because of the conditions required to cause this glitch, so I hope no one has lost any important data because of it.

Because of the confusion over the different versions of ClockworkMod Recovery, I will try to address the major questions in this thread.

This all started out when some people started asking questions about why themed nandroid backups always had problems when they were restored (very informative thread detailing the process). After figuring out that something was broken in CWM, I decided to try to find it. Thankfully, it was an easy fix that me and jt discovered whilst chatting in the IRC. While I was poking around, I fixed a few other small problems too.

[SIZE=+1]Issues fixed[/SIZE]
  • The old CWM did not have root shell access because of a typo in the old initramfs, so this caused lots of issues when ROMs and themes did not set the correct permissions in their scripts. This is where most of the Forced Close problems and boot loops came from when flashing roms without wiping data first, and also when restoring Nandroids backups
  • This also caused the "Voodoo lagfix is actually: disabled" even when it was enabled bug to be fixed
  • "Fix Permissions" script updated to a new version, and then modified to auto-mount the correct partitions and use correct file
  • Mounting menu typo fixed from "umount /dbdata" to "unmount /dbdata"
  • Added a Battery Stats wiping confirmation

[SIZE=+1]ClockworkMod Recovery (3/30/11 Bugfix)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]Odin Package[/SIZE]
cwm-recovery-ALL-3-30-FIX.tar
MD5 Hash: 00e90e790a70e2d66b6cba6a152de504

[SIZE=+0]Zip Package[/SIZE]
cwm-recovery-ALL-3-30-FIX.zip
MD5 Hash: cc3e1885ac2131a39aa049cabdb9bf0b

[SIZE=+1]SuperClean v2.9.2 with updated ClockworkMod Recovery (3/30/11 Bugfix)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]Voodoo Kernel[/SIZE]
super_frankenclean_2_9_2v_CWMFIX.zip
MD5: 183e41d58e931b73f3429bfc101e4cbf

[SIZE=+0]Non-Voodoo Kernel[/SIZE]
super_frankenclean_2_9_2nv_CWMFIX.zip
MD5: 06bed73a07f4b4f3cc32d6a0d60a05ee

[SIZE=+1]Frequently Asked Questions[/SIZE]

Q: After I enter CWM, it says I am at version 2.5.1.x. Does that mean I'm on the correct version?
Unfortunately, the last several updates have been minor bugfixes, and the version number has stayed at 2.5.1.x. Hopefully this will be remedied soon. An easy way to check is to go to the mount menu, mount dbdata, and see if it says "umount" (old) or "unmount" (new).
Q: Does battery stats wipe work yet?
It was working on the on the old CWM, it just didn't give you a confirmation after wiping. If for some reason it wasn't working on the old CWM recovery (because of the ro.secure bug that was fixed), then I can definitely confirm that it is working now.

In the newest fix, I added a notification before returning to the menu that tells the user that the battery stats had been wiped.
Q: Does Fix Permissions work yet?
If you select "Fix Permissions" you should see it doing a lot of work. If it returns to the menu immediately, it means one of two things:
  • You just wiped all the data, in which case, there is nothing to fix permissions for (completely normal)
  • Your /data or /dbdata partition is unable to mount, which means you may have had a bad voodoo conversion, or something that will probably require Odining back to stock to repair (not normal)
Q: I have the new CWM and the feature you said was fixed doesn't work!
Maybe, but I'm guessing you either grabbed one of the messed up versions that was posted on 3/29, or you have flashed a file that has overwritten your CWM partition. That's why I have included the SuperClean ROM's with the updated CWM, because most people don't know about this. If you prefer to not re-download the whole SuperClean file, you can take the zImage2 file from the CWM ZIP file and drag and drop it into the /kernel_update/ directory in your current SuperClean file.

[SIZE=+1]Most Thorough Method of Fixing Every Problem You Might Have[/SIZE]

If you have an issue with applications force closing or a continual boot loop, a lot of times, you can fix this issue by running the Fix Permissions option.

If you would like to see your phone be able to have fully functioning Nandroids, and less problems with permission related errors when flashing different ROM's, I encourage you to do the following (this will make your phone as clean and healthy as possible):

1. ODIN the full stock EB01 package in PDA, the atlas_v2.2.pit in PIT, and "Re-Partition" checked
  2. Let your phone fully boot into the OS and verify everything is working correctly
  3. Remove your battery
  4. ODIN the CWM Recovery package ROM from this post
  5. While reinserting your battery, hold both the volume keys and the power button down until a second after you see the Samsung boot logo then let go, to boot into CWM recovery
  6. Flash the SuperClean ROM from this post, Wipe Cache/Dalvik Cache only.
  7. Reboot. If you have installed the Voodoo ROM, then you should hear a Sexy Robot lady telling you that she is converting your partitions. This process will take 10 minutes or so. If you pull the battery, you will have to start all over again.
  8. Let your phone fully boot into the OS and verify everything is working correctly
  9. If you need to install a theme, reboot, enter CWM and flash theme, Wipe Cache/Dalvik Cache only.
  10. Make a fresh nandroid backup. If you try to restore a Nandroid made with the old CWM, you will probably have problems.
I haven't gone into the specifics of how to do all the above, because there are several tutorials with pictures and well-written guides already in existence.​

[SIZE=+1]A couple of things about ClockworkMod Recovery that a lot of people don't know[/SIZE]
  • The CWM package in this post is the ONLY CWM file you ever need, for any Samsung Fascinate ROM. Even Eclair ROMs. Even Non-Voodoo Roms. Doesn't matter. Delete all your old copies.
  • When you flash a CWM Recovery, you are writing an entire kernel into the recovery partition of your phone (bml8). This does not affect your current kernel because it is stored on your kernel partition (bml7).
  • When you download a ROM, it is up to the ROM author to decide if they want to include a kernel and/or CWM. For example, SuperClean bundles the ROM/Kernel/CWM all into one flash file. When you flash SuperClean, it will overwrite your kernel partition (bml7), your recovery partition (bml8), and your system partition (stl9).

[SIZE=+1]A few other questions that might get asked[/SIZE]

Q: What is that MD5 gibberish under the download links?
A: MD5 (and other checksums/hashes) can be used to verify the integrity of a downloaded file. Basically, you download the file, then use an MD5 tool to calculate the checksum. You then compare the file's checksum to the checksum I have posted under the link. If it matches, then you know that your download is not corrupt.

The whole process is much easier/quicker then it sounds, even if you've never done it before. Also, there are many free MD5 calculators (I use HashCheck).
Q: Is this CWM 3? Why isn't my menu orange?
While this is the newest fully compatible CWM for the Fascinate, it has NOT had any of the CWM 3.0 code base ported into it. As of CWM 3.0, Koush ripped Amend scripting support for flashing. Most of the rest of the world has already moved to Edify scripts, but in Samsung Fascinate land, we still cling to Amend scripts in a lot of our ROM/patch flash files because of some of the issues that Edify has had with the way Samsung laid out the partitions and devices. This is why we have stuck with CWM 2.5 for so long, because so many ROMs, themes, and patches are still using Amend scripts.

Really though, its time to merge the CWM 3.0 base, port the voodoo options, cut ties with amend, and get the Samsung Fascinate's funky mounting/partitions/layout fully compatible with CWM. Someone just has to do the work, because Koush doesn't seem to be that interested in it any more.

There are a lot of improvements in the back end of CWM 3.0 that make it more reliable. Also, if someone were to be slightly ambitious, there are quite a lot of previously unseen (on the Fascinate) features that could be ported from other people's CWM mods. One easy one would be backup and restore of the kernel, which would allow for a more complete Nandroid. It's actually already half-way implemented in the code, so it wouldn't take much more work to get it done, even on the current version.

Then there is the EFS partition... which is a subject avoided by most people but is an important aspect of the phone that no one currently is backing up. There has been a lot of work done for the other SGS variants, but no one has really spoken up about it in the Fascinate world.
Q: Will this overwrite my kernel/custom kernel files on my system partition/knock up my daughter?
The CWM ZIP package has been cleaned of the system files, and the ODIN package has been correctly configured to flash to the recovery partition only. SuperClean will behave like normal, which involves flashing your kernel/CWM/system/daughter.

Until Adrynalyne and jt1134 adopt these files (or make their own), then this applies to files that are downloaded from the links provided in THIS THREAD ONLY.

Q: Why did you start a new thread for this?
Because in the main threads, I answer the same questions every 20 posts. This is more visible. If this information is merged into Adrynalyne's SuperClean thread and JT1134's CWM thread, I will ask for a mod to close this thread.​

Last edited:

putney1477

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
This is great! Thanks so much. Have one question, which EB01 stock are you talking about? The packaged one? I can't seem to find it anywhere. Its probably right under my nose...... I'm following the directions under "to make your phone as clean as possible"

Brettdacosta

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm on 2.9.2 and I odin ed the cw recovery all. If I just flash this in cw, is that acceptable, and take care of the problem or is there more I would need to do? I just really want to be able to try out new themes and be able to restore back of something messes up. Thanks for the fix. Now I just need to know if it's the problem I've been having with it so far.

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm on 2.9.2 and I odin ed the cw recovery all. If I just flash this in cw, is that acceptable, and take care of the problem or is there more I would need to do? I just really want to be able to try out new themes and be able to restore back of something messes up. Thanks for the fix. Now I just need to know if it's the problem I've been having with it so far.

Download the zip, flash in CWM, done.

So we can now absolutely get rid of any update.zip we may have saved for "just in case"?

No "update.zip" needed anymore... This should write over the Samsung Recovery [2e] and take you straight into Red

Reactions: vluc

mm247

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Right now I'm at 2.9.2scnv, with I believe Adyran"s EC10 VooDoo kernel from a few days ago with the fake Voodoo folder on my SD card? When I boot to recovery I see RED Lettering when accessing CMW, should I reinstall the above updates to clean things up? And I thought the other day people were saying that you would need to disable lag-fix or remove the fake VooDoo folder before making any further changes? thank you for any help.

SAHARAT

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
This is great! Thanks so much. Have one question, which EB01 stock are you talking about? The packaged one? I can't seem to find it anywhere. Its probably right under my nose...... I'm following the directions under "to make your phone as clean as possible"

EBO1.. The full enchilada Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!

atlas_v2.2.pit ... http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2056318/atlas_v2.2.pit

Taken from this thread (Adrenalin)
"[HowTo] Fix your phone after i screwed it up with 2.7 :("
http://forum.androidcentral.com/verizon-fascinate-rooting-roms-hacks/64815-howto-fix-your-phone-after-i-screwed-up-2-7-a.html

Reactions: putney1477

sfobrien

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Downloaded it, flashed it with CWM and my phone went into the endless reboot loop after rebooting from CWM. Tried reflashing the new CWM fix and then 2.9.2 and nothing worked, kept rebooting. Just went ahead wiped and reinstalled the FIX ALL and then 2.9.2 thru Odin. Everything back up and running but I think I will leave my CWM alone !

This Newbie survived his first crash !

Palin

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the explanation especially the "A couple things about..." paragraph showing where the software pieces are installed.

A question of curiosity then just for my own understanding - if the system files have now been removed from cwm then there is no need for a developer to include it in a package except for the installer's convenience?

putney1477

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
"Most Thorough Method of Fixing Every Problem You Might Have

If you have an issue with applications force closing or a continual boot loop, a lot of times, you can fix this issue by running the Fix Permissions option.

If you would like to see your phone be able to have fully functioning Nandroids, and less problems with permission related errors when flashing different ROM's, I encourage you to do the following (this will make your phone as clean and healthy as possible):

ODIN the full stock EB01 package in PDA, the atlas_v2.2.pit in PIT, and "Re-Partition" checked
Let your phone fully boot into the OS and verify everything is working correctly
Remove your battery
ODIN the CWM Recovery package ROM from this post
While reinserting your battery, hold both the volume keys and the power button down until a second after you see the Samsung boot logo then let go, to boot into CWM recovery
Flash the SuperClean ROM from this post, Wipe Cache/Dalvik Cache only.
Reboot. If you have installed the Voodoo ROM, then you should hear a Sexy Robot lady telling you that she is converting your partitions. This process will take 10 minutes or so. If you pull the battery, you will have to start all over again.
Let your phone fully boot into the OS and verify everything is working correctly
If you need to install a theme, reboot, enter CWM and flash theme, Wipe Cache/Dalvik Cache only.
Make a fresh nandroid backup. If you try to restore a Nandroid made with the old CWM, you will probably have problems. "

I didn't want to take up too much space quoting the whole text, hope thats ok.

I just wanted to say thank you! I did this step by step and I'm hoping it will clear up a few little bugs that I have been having.

thanks again!

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Hate to post off topic and I certainly wouldn't want to start a thread...but I bet folks want to know.

What exactly are you using? An old moto, lg type phone? Nothing?

nothing, but someone here in the forums is going to lend me their fascinate for awhile

wyllic

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I can put that image up on my phone in about 30 sec now, it's super simple, just read the directions in my thread about hacking the samsung logo :)

s14tat

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I don't know what is the cause for the fix. but by starting over from scratch with the rom listed here, and updating the cwm, it fixed my touch screen problem. Yay.

edit: damnit it stopped working again, but at least it is happening a lot less now.

Last edited:

bigjobber69

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I can put that image up on my phone in about 30 sec now, it's super simple, just read the directions in my thread about hacking the samsung logo :)

yah I dont know Adb, I want the boot image of a droid peeing on apple I know they have it with the weird Adb but I want to just be able to flash it or odin it that would be top notch. I doubt it will happen