Fair warning, don't bother with GPS internationally

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
I just wanted to point out that all of the "gps fixes", which do work really well inside the US when my phone is connected to a Verizon tower, are 100% useless when out of range. I am in South America using my phone as a wi-fi device and the GPS in standalone mode is completely non-functional. I have run every GPS tool I can find, have let my phone sit for long periods with a clear view of the sky, and GPS data just doesn't show up at all. Moral of the story: if you are abroad have a backup plan if you need a GPS to navigate.

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
But knowing you can always find your way home gives you more freedom to explore! :)

And knowing where you are in a taxi doing 100km/h through back alleys in a foreign (really really really foreign) country is a lot easier to accomplish when your GPS works and your phone isnt the equivalent of a compass with a paper map... I was psyched when Google finally added legit caching and vector data to Maps so it's 100% usable offline, but thanks to the fascinate's completely incapable standalone GPS module, it is for not. Without tower data, the phone will *never ever ever* get a GPS lock. Period. Even with A-gps data. Bleh. Maybe the official froyo release, without all the gps "fixes", will be more useful.