3G hotspot Vs Wifi Tether

ckrenek23

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
So i was just going through my phone running 2.9.2 and typically use wireless tether app, was wondering if I could use the 3g mobile hotspot app without getting charged? Also how would I get my fascinate to tether to another android phone or tab, thinking of a xoom or 10.1, defend want wifi only, but I have read of issues when trying to tether to other android devices. Thanks for everyones help

Sent from my Froyo Fascinate using Tapatalk

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
So i was just going through my phone running 2.9.2 and typically use wireless tether app, was wondering if I could use the 3g mobile hotspot app without getting charged? Also how would I get my fascinate to tether to another android phone or tab, thinking of a xoom or 10.1, defend want wifi only, but I have read of issues when trying to tether to other android devices. Thanks for everyones help

If you try to use the 3G mobile hot spot app you will be directed to a screen asking you to sign up which will add the service to your plan and you will be charged.

ckrenek23

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
If you try to use the 3G mobile hot spot app you will be directed to a screen asking you to sign up which will add the service to your plan and you will be charged.

Thanks Landshark def dont wanna get charged, decided to pick up the wifi only xoom from costco with the 90 day return policy for when the 10.1 comes out. Any idea on the the best way to tether or is this a question i should ask over in the Xoom forums. Dont wanna root and unlock bootloader in case i need to return it, so would like an unrooted method.

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Landshark def dont wanna get charged, decided to pick up the wifi only xoom from costco with the 90 day return policy for when the 10.1 comes out. Any idea on the the best way to tether or is this a question i should ask over in the Xoom forums. Dont wanna root and unlock bootloader in case i need to return it, so would like an unrooted method.

Sorry, I'm of no help on the tethering as I don't tether at all.

motoprof

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

I use 2.9.2 and barnacle as my tether and can make it into a wireless router through Barnacle. It works great

Reactions: Landshark

papa54

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I use 2.9.2 and barnacle as my tether and can make it into a wireless router through Barnacle. It works great

if you wan t to wifi with say yer laptop then use the PDA app in market and connect your usb cable to the laptop and walla yer online and Verizon doesnt know it.. pda works rooted or nonrooted ..so they say.. i used it to watch xfinity while wife watched tv in VA over night night room,, my reception was perfect,, used ear buds and no one was in the others way...

Sheepdog Elite

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Barnacle requires su access... Anyone know if they are trusted?

They're trusted. If they were gonna do something they would have by now. Been around long enough they get credit just for longevity.

Also @OP, if the wireless tether you're using is the one from the market you'll want to get the more up to date one. It's available via a google search.

ckrenek23

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Yeah barnacle works great, been using it for laptop and ipod touch, trying to get it to work with other android devices such as tabs to use my phone as the router. Taking a trip and don't wanna pay the hotel for wireless you and some people including myself have tabs and a xoom

ckrenek23

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, I'm of no help on the tethering as I don't tether at all.

No problem I'm sure ill gets tons of info from the forums just with work haven't had much time to comb through. Maybe they should have a tether forum for all the peeps like myself looking to take advantage of a rooted device

motoprof

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
if you wan t to wifi with say yer laptop then use the PDA app in market and connect your usb cable to the laptop and walla yer online and Verizon doesnt know it.. pda works rooted or nonrooted ..so they say.. i used it to watch xfinity while wife watched tv in VA over night night room,, my reception was perfect,, used ear buds and no one was in the others way...

I just looked at the permissions for PPDNET and here some:

Your Messages- read SMS or MMS, receive SMS
Services that cost you money - Send SMS messages
Your personal information - read contact data

That last one bothers me a bit and I'm wondering why they would need to read my contacts list.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance