Froyo Tomorrow What Should i do?

ehernandez

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
Question about the release that is suppose to happen tomorrow: Being rooted will i get the OTA notification? Should we go back to stock and update and then start all over (root) or should we just keep it like is until there are some roms developed?

JeremytheIndian

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
AC frontpage.

Personally I see no need to back pedal and put VZW back in the drivers seat. I'm just gonna sit back and wait for the devs to deliver a nice clean ED01 ROM.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
where did you hear that we are getting an update tomorrow?

If you didnt find it mike there is a pdf with the announcement on the front page.

If you want the OTA update, you have to go back to stock. Personally I am on a cutom rom and will wait for the next one instead of going through all the hassle.

Bfascinated

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
I'm gonna wait to see what the developers put together as far as an ED01 ROM goes, there is no way I want to go backwards and let verizon mess up my phone again with bing and all the rest of their crapware!

marteagajr75

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
But if we wanted to do so then we have to flash to return to stock and then we would be able to do the OTA right? Might do that just in case they're tracking who downloads the update, and then since we're rooted we could get rid all of the verizon bloatware right?

wseyller

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Bing is the number one killer for me. Other than that, the only way I would have any part of this new update is too see lots of improvements over sc 2.9.2

I am wondering if i'm on sc 2.9.2 will I get a notification of this release update or will my phone ignore it. I know I can use it but just want to know if I will be bothered with it.

Bfascinated

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
I could be mistaken, but I think the article on front page says manual update, don't know if they will be doing OTA updates or not, don't want to deal with the hassle even if they are tracking.... Haha

dixie_boysles

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
skip it

I wouldnt

I love 2.1 on my mezmerize (same thing as a fascinate). I switched to 2.2 and hated it. It drained my battery, froze phone up etc.... I flashed back to 2.1 and put LauncherPro on it and have no problems! Plus with LauncherPro, I can do everything 2.2 can. Also with my mexmerise, the ShootMe app works and Im not rooted, so you can take screenshots

JeremytheIndian

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
I wouldnt

I love 2.1 on my mezmerize (same thing as a fascinate). I switched to 2.2 and hated it. It drained my battery, froze phone up etc.... I flashed back to 2.1 and put LauncherPro on it and have no problems! Plus with LauncherPro, I can do everything 2.2 can. Also with my mexmerise, the ShootMe app works and Im not rooted, so you can take screenshots

Except flash support, app to sd and the lofty attitude you get to have when running a leaked froyo ROM. :) Just kidding about that last part, to each their own.

willenium_1217

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I am currently running the deodexed/debloated version of EB01. If the devs can give us the same thing for ED01, I will be the happiest camper! But I will be waiting until they put something out!

ehernandez

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
Yeah i think it would be good just to see what happens with sc 2.9.2. As far as tracking goes can they even do anything? They can prove you didn't accept the update but they cant prove you're rooted and running 2.2 already.

HuskerDad3

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Personally I see no need to back pedal and put VZW back in the drivers seat. I'm just gonna sit back and wait for the devs to deliver a nice clean ED01 ROM.

I second that idea. My phone is so much faster and responsive on SC 2.9.2. Besides which Bing sucks and should never be installed with Android!

The Devs for the Fascinate are awesome, I'm sure we will see a custom debloated ROM soon.

netlagger

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
This is the question I have for this then. Since the only thing I have done to my fascinate since I bought it on Saturday was Root it and uninstall some programs using TiBackup, what do I need to do to get this phone to do the update from VZW for the 2.2?

mjt1265

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I dont understands everyones beef w/ BING. I think the GPS is awesome. I was in Phoenix searched for a local Starbucks and it gave me a location in NY and it was only a 5 min drive!!!!!

LOL I couldnt resist. but seriously if we are rooted w/ Froyo then why take the Verizon version?? I see no point Its the same thing right? Except that I have no bloatware.

Reactions: jbr05ki

dwc5000

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
This is the question I have for this then. Since the only thing I have done to my fascinate since I bought it on Saturday was Root it and uninstall some programs using TiBackup, what do I need to do to get this phone to do the update from VZW for the 2.2?

try the update and see if it works because I rooted way back when and I was still able to get it to work. the update would then override your root and put everything back like it was. You would of course have to re root again if you choose.
If that doesn't work, you would have to download a full stock froyo leak and install using Odin. When this is finished, then try to apply the updates.

Reactions: netlagger

wseyller

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
The new official Froyo is probably different from the leaked version. It may not have some of the bugs that the leak version does and may have some various enhancements. I hoping for the official Froyo to at least get a debloated version or a superclean with bing garbage removed.

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

It depends on which apps you removed. If you removed any of the bloat, you will have to restore those items before the OTA will work.

Reactions: netlagger

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phlyx