How do you de-Bing ED01?

bxojr

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
OK, I've been reading the forums looking for a definitive answer to this question, but if there's one out there I haven't found it.

What is the best way to de-Bing the OTA Froyo release (ED01)? I'm currently running ED01 (rooted) with Launcher Pro. I'm generally happy with it, but I'd like to set the Search button to go to Google Search instead of Bing.

Within a day of the original Fascinate release, there was a procedure posted here for accomplishing this; it didn't even require root. I assume that procedure is no longer valid, but I haven't seen an updated version for ED01.

I've tried freezing the Bing app using Titanium Backup; while that does disable Bing, it leaves the Search key completely nonfunctional from the home screen.

I've tried flashing Adrynalyne's debloated ROM on top of ED01, but that seemed to have no effect at all. (I've seen others reporting different results, so I'm wondering if I did something wrong.)

I know that I could go back to SC 2.9.2, or use the debloated ROM plus the EC01 radio. But for now I'd like to find a way to de-Bing stock ED01. Any suggestions?

fluidj

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
How did you go about rooting the new Froyo stock release?
All I want is root, no new ROM or anything...I don't even want to deBing it...I just want it rooted so I can put the wireless tethering app back on.

sfobrien

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Hope this helps. I loaded Shark's new ED01 package over SuperClean and I have no Bing. From what I've read coming from the Verizon ED01 will leave remnants of Bing.

bxojr

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Hope this helps. I loaded Shark's new ED01 package over SuperClean and I have no Bing.

I believe that package uses the EC01 radio, and I'd kinda like to stay with the ED01 radio for now -- at least until we get a definitive answer about whether they're the same or not (I've heard both). That's why I'm looking for a way to de-Bing ED01 rather than using one of the EC01-based options out there.

fluidj

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I believe that package uses the EC01 radio, and I'd kinda like to stay with the ED01 radio for now -- at least until we get a definitive answer about whether they're the same or not (I've heard both). That's why I'm looking for a way to de-Bing ED01 rather than using one of the EC01-based options out there.

What instructions did you follow to root ED01? I kinda want to stick with this radio too....

sfobrien

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
How did you go about rooting the new Froyo stock release?
All I want is root, no new ROM or anything...I don't even want to deBing it...I just want it rooted so I can put the wireless tethering app back on.

Try loading the newest Superuser Zip ( I don't have link at moment) on your SD card. Then install latest CWM with Odin. After completing boot straight to CWM by holding both volume up and down keys and power button and release all after second Samsung flashes on screen. Install the Superuser file from there.

I read this somewhere on here but can't find it. Hopefully one of the pros will post a direct link.

Reactions: fluidj

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I finally went back to stock and updated via OTA last night to get the ED01 radio, then loaded the deodexed/debloated ED01 ROM from Adrynalyne. My search button routes through Google, so you may want to try reflashing to see if that resolves your issue

cwd500

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site

Try flashing the bebloated debing rom in cwm.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/ver...tock-ed01-rooted-ed01-debloated-debinged.html

sent from my evil fascination fascinate

lucasrcole

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
root --

I am running the OTA 2.2 froyo on my fascinate and I used the 'SuperOneClick' root and it worked just fine. I tried doing it the 'odin' way however it wouldnt reconize my phone.

I've been trying to figure out howto "debing" mine as well.. I've get rid of all the verizon bloat but still trying to figure out the bing thing.. also a custom boot screen without flashing a different rom..

Reactions: vwemil

curley1441

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
after loading debloat/deodex i still had bing on my soft touch search key so i down loaded root explorer from the market went to data/app/com.microsoft.mobileexperiecnes.bing-1.apk andded.old . Next data/data/microsoft.mobileexperiences.bing added.old again ,no more bing still have the files if i ever want to change back ( not likely) hope this helps

bxojr

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Just to follow up ... I never did find a way to directly de-Bing ED01, and Bing even survived after I flashed the new community ROM. The only way to get rid of Bing (apparently) was to wipe all user data through CWM before reinstalling the community ROM. That meant I had to restore all of my apps through Titanium Backup, but that's OK. I'm now up and running with a completely Bing-free Fascinate.

I'm still a bit puzzled as to why there doesn't seem to be a simple de-Binging procedure like there was for the original release. My problem is solved, but I imagine there will be people who want to get rid of Bing without rooting or installing a custom ROM.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon