Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default SC 2.9.2 vs. Offical ED01 vs. Community ED01 vs. ED01 Debloated

First off, may I say a huge THANKS to this community and everything you are all doing here. It's just amazing.

I'm currently on SC 2.9.2 and as I've devoured the threads on the Stock/Debloated/Community ROMs for ED01 I've started asking myself which one I'd try - and which would give me the best performance and feel.

I realized others may be asking the same questions - especially those not wanting to dive and and switch ROMs back and forth.

So... if some of you devs and users that have tried these ROMs - could you give us some comparative feed back here.

I realize the Stock ROM has all the Verizon bloat - and I'm not really asking the difference in bloat vs. debloated - but more in performance expectations, what's included and what's not. How GPS works and doesn't, what you liked, what you didn't like, etc.

Why would I want one over the other...

Hopefully this makes sense.

I was also looking for a place myself and others could look for these comparisons... and yes - I have read every post in these threads (as of this post).

Thanks all in advance.
    Last edited by goldentuna; 04-26-2011 at 03:28 PM.

It's a matter of personal preference and performance of your device. Even if you really don't want to it is best to try a couple different ones and see what you like best.

I have tried Superclean,LandShark's,Evil's, and now the Community ROM all with mixed and matched radios,kernals,and Voodoo vs. Non voodoo.

They all worked well on my device but so far I am really liking the new Community and planning on staying with it.
    Just my opinion hope it helps.
    Steve

ROM
    You Jelly Huh 2.1

Using ED01 Stock (VZW update), but came from 2.9.2 before that. To be quite honest, ED01 stock works really good for me. I haven't had any real issues with it. I've had the occasional lag here and there, but for the most part it's been good to me.
    Battery performance is pretty good now. It gets me through the day better than it did before. Also, something about WiFi connections is different. Now at work, I'm able to log in to my companies enterprise WiFi Connection using my company log in and password combo. Very neat! Could not do that before on Superclean or Eclair.
    The GPS has been phenomenal for me. Quick lock in when I need it (most time I've seen is about 20 seconds from cold start). So I am pretty sure it's much improved. Yeah, the bloatware is there, but I don't mind it for now. I'll give this a go for another week and I may flash the community ROM and see how that works. Just my thoughts.
    My Galaxy Note 2 tells me to have a beer! Okay!!!

ROM
    You Jelly Huh 2.1

And oh, yes, many thanks to the community developers for getting me on Froyo way before VZW and Sammy! You guys rock!!
    My Galaxy Note 2 tells me to have a beer! Okay!!!

ROM
    Evil fasc. 3.4/ pbj sv v

I have tried all the roms u have mentioned but my personal favorite rom rite now is evil fascination... It has great performance, battery life is good, and it looks beautiful

I just installed the community rom over SC2.9.2. It took a little more work than I expected but so far it has been worth it. The device just seems snappier. I've had fewer FCs and all my connections work just fine. In fact I even got a chance to use gps today and was amazed at how quickly the new (to me anyway) ED01 picked up the satellite signal. The community rom (gingerbread themed) looks so good that I've yet to go back to launcher pro even though I miss some if their custom widgets. Overall I think I'm gonna stick with this rom unless cyangenomod releases a stable 7.0 for the fascinate/galaxy s line.

I have tried them all. I did evil fascination, every version of 2.2-2.9 superclean (however many of them there were) stock options (including ED01), and debloated/debinged ED01 and some of the Ec01 builds.

I have only been on the community ROM for about a day but so far, I think it is the best one. My battery life seems the best yet and I have not had any force closes. My BT works way better on this build than ANY of the others (including stock) and GPS has a quick lock. I use my phone often - it is my work phone and I'm on it all day. It NEEDS to be at 100% when I leave in the morning and so far(so whatever I flashed the night before, I need to fix it), this community ROM meets my needs. I also think the new modem on the ED01 is better. I tried all of the other modems via flashing with odin and was always missing calls. SO far (granted, only a few days) I have been on some sort of build of the ED01 modem and I have yet to have a missed call with voicemail waiting for me (this used to happen to me at least once a day).

I have been running a voodoo kernel for about 2 months and would never go back. The phone is a little more responsive and seems quicker for all interactions.

My only drawback is that the custom ROM has a little too much "black" for me. I am often on my phone in the sun and this is at times hard to read. I was liking the evil fascination color package but also have been using the honeycomb themes lately. Several of the programs (like messaging) can toggle between black and white, so this ROM has way more customization than any other ROM I have used previously.

Personal preference, but I like the customization options in the new ROM and so far, seems the best for me.

It's seem that community ROM is best choice.
    How about the best combo of Kernel and Radio for community ROM?

Global Posts
    93 Global Posts

I'm extremely happy with Stock 2.2. I don't even mind Bing at all, it actually WORKS this time. GPS lock has been consistently instant. And battery life!!! WHOAAA....I haven't used my extended battery since I got the Stock ED01 2.2. This is hands down the best battery performance i've had since owning the thing. My only beef is that I can't seem to get it rooted...and the only two reasons I want it rooted is so that I can install my paid version of Titanium Backup, and the free wireless tethering.

Global Posts
    93 Global Posts

CommRom Best?

Not if you don't like the looks and there is nothing in there you particularly need.

I flashed everything that came down the road until EC01. ROMs, Kernels, Themes, Radios, replaced apk's with ones that suited my needs, until EC01.

EC01 works (for me). It's the first ROM where everything works well, Battery/GPS/Wifi/3g. I like the looks for the most part. I like the larger notification bar in the EC01 ROM and don't like as much black and white (as aerichards pointed out above me) in a theme.

The 'clown' colors is one of the things I like about the Fascinate. It's not just looks, those colors are easier for my old many eyes to make out at a glance. I can't always tell the text at a glance but that RED End Call button sure jumps.

So far I don't see a compelling reason to go to ED01 Debloated from EC01

I'm not knocking CommRom. I'll probably go to CommRom at some point, but I'm in no hurry. The Dev's are doing a great job of fixing and adding features. I'm excited to see how it comes along.

Sitting happy on EC01 ROM/EC10 voodoo kernel/EC10 Radio
    Sbrissens 6 Lockscreen Mods w/acc battery
    Custom Boot/shutdown Ani
    Facinate SC 2.8nv
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by fluidj View Post
    I'm extremely happy with Stock 2.2. I don't even mind Bing at all, it actually WORKS this time. GPS lock has been consistently instant. And battery life!!! WHOAAA....I haven't used my extended battery since I got the Stock ED01 2.2. This is hands down the best battery performance i've had since owning the thing. My only beef is that I can't seem to get it rooted...and the only two reasons I want it rooted is so that I can install my paid version of Titanium Backup, and the free wireless tethering.
    I'm assuming this was a OTA Stock 2.2 from Verizon?
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Everyone so far... thanks for you input - this is VERY, VERY helpful!

Please keep them coming.

Deodexed/Debloated here. It is much better because it is nonvoodoo for us novices. I don't want to deal with it. But the battery life is just a TAD better than EB01 and it does seem a little smoother. Debloat the sucker!

Global Posts
    646 Global Posts

Yea, the community rom looks like a great effort that packages a lot of the mods people want, so if you like those things, that's the easiest way to get them.

But as was said previously, none of that stuff is really necessary. Personally, I've been completely happy with largely stock roms, just debloated, of course. I had switched back to 2.1 because the battery life on EB01 roms and kernels was terrible, but I'm happy to report stock debloated ED01 has been great so far.

I'd caution against putting too much stock in people's reports of increased performance. If you read enough, people will make the same claims about every single rom they install - it seems "snappier" than the last, which itself felt "snappier" than the one it replaced, and so on. If these roms were truly getting cumulatively faster, there would be a real measurable gain after a few... but of course, there isn't. It's all feel, and anything new and clean will "feel" faster, even if it isn't at all.

ROM
    Gummy, AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by Chris3D View Post
    I'd caution against putting too much stock in people's reports of increased performance. If you read enough, people will make the same claims about every single rom they install - it seems "snappier" than the last, which itself felt "snappier" than the one it replaced, and so on. If these roms were truly getting cumulatively faster, there would be a real measurable gain after a few... but of course, there isn't. It's all feel, and anything new and clean will "feel" faster, even if it isn't at all.
    very true. most of the roms out there are variations of the same thing. the community is something altogether different. you will see performance increases as well as lots of neato mods. if youdont like the look...well... thats what themes are for.

my opinion: go with stock debloated/debinged or Community ROM. anything else (with the exception of rom projects still being developed ie. miui, cm7, aosp)is a waste of space, and quite frankly a joke.

ROM
    MIUI / GlitchMV

Quote Originally Posted by gunnermike53 View Post
    my opinion: go with stock debloated/debinged or Community ROM. anything else (with the exception of rom projects still being developed ie. miui, cm7, aosp)is a waste of space, and quite frankly a joke.
    I just visualized you holding your arm out and dropping a mic after that.... BOOM!
    In case I got lucky and actually helped you or gave good advice please click "thanks"

ROM
    Infinity & Pool Party

very true. most of the roms out there are variations of the same thing. the community is something altogether different. you will see performance increases as well as lots of neato mods. if youdont like the look...well... thats what themes are for.

Where have you been hiding? Haven't seen you in a while. What you don't talk to us peons now that you're a big shot themer????
    Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?

Sometimes you go to the circus...........Sometimes the circus comes to you.

Instructions on how to flash ROMs, Kernels, Patches, and Mods through clockworkmod recovery, CWM: DroidXcon's CWM Thread

If you add me on Google+, please list your AC username as a nickname so I know who you are.

Global Posts
    646 Global Posts

the community is something altogether different.
    At the end of the day, it's still a touchwiz, ED01 based rom like any other. It's got a lot of nice tweaks and additions, but I'm not sure it's fair to call it something different all together, and everything else a joke... as much as I know you're excited about it!

anything else is a waste of space, and quite frankly a joke.
    Careful... one could be forgiven for suggesting you're starting to sound like... gulp... Steve Jobs with how forcefully you're suggesting no other roms are worthy of existence. I think our little world is still large enough for anyone who wants to play here

ROM
    Gummy, AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
    Where have you been hiding? Haven't seen you in a while. What you don't talk to us peons now that you're a big shot themer????
    lol. its been crazy busy. work, family, and of course i just learned to theme. i figured i would spend my time making phones look neato.

ROM
    Gummy, AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by JeremytheIndian View Post
    I just visualized you holding your arm out and dropping a mic after that.... BOOM!
    lol.

ROM
    Gummy, AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by Chris3D View Post
    Careful... one could be forgiven for suggesting you're starting to sound like... gulp... Steve Jobs with how forcefully you're suggesting no other roms are worthy of existence. I think our little world is still large enough for anyone who wants to play here
    ooooo. thats below the belt!!!

my point was the other tw based "rom" thats "released" is a themed version of debloated ed01 with 6lock already added.

yes it is tw based, it has many of the advantages and options of a cm rom, plus some gps enhancements.

ROM
    Evil fasc. 3.4/ pbj sv v

I say try them all lol... I havent found any 1 rom 2 be leaps n bounds better than the other performance wise... I will say I havent tested the comm rom 4 very long b.c of SOD issues but im stickin w evil fascination for now... If it is proven that the comm rom has better performance I didn't notice 2 much of a better performance in the short time I was on the comm rom... I did really really like the comm rom but I like the looks of evil fascination better than any theme out for comm rom rite now so for me I just like it 4 the looks a lot better even if the performance is a lil sub par 2 the comm rom
    Dis-Member

Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS

"And now for somthing completely different"

A sheep with a pie...

Good to see you out and about Mike...I figgured the the wife put the thumbscrews to ya..

I've been in a holding pattern on the community rom for two days, just reading all posts over there. I'm been running SC292 without a hitch and I'm from the school, if it ain't broke don't fix it! I think the thing that will get me there is if LS gets the ODIN package working.

Mike
    IL KYOCK PIL SAL

Global Posts
    93 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by goldentuna View Post
    I'm assuming this was a OTA Stock 2.2 from Verizon?
    yeap, bone stock OTA
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

So I nearly tried them all

I was on SC2.9.2 and my only main disappointment I had was a slow GPS fix (sometimes had to reboot) - so I thought I'd give this ED01 modem a whirl.

So, I did Adrynalyne's roll back, ODIN DL09, flash EA28, then flash ED01, (nanroid), ODIN CWR 2.5, then rooted, restored apps & app data using Titanium Pro, (nandroid) then flashed Adrynalyne's debloat/debing, (nandroid) - then flashed imnuts -50 kernel, voodoo, (nandroid.. paranoid yes), then flashed fasinatesense theme.

Everything seems to be working fine. I've noticed with imnuts kernel my battery is running about 8-10 deg c cooler, so with all I'm hoping for a better battery life as well.

Was it worth it? Time will tell.

I did do a rollback and tried the Community ROM first, but I just didn't quite like the theme (I know that could be changed) .. and there were some issues I was having. I figured I'd give it a while as those bugs are worked out... so I really did the rollback twice.

I'll come back in a few days and give an update on my battery.

Once again - thanks to all the Dev's and Community that helps us with playing with these toys. (we really need to get a life).
    Last edited by goldentuna; 04-28-2011 at 02:26 PM.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast