New to Rooting, but don't want complete overhaul

Other rooting suggstions?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Reaper78

May 5, 2011
Visit site
So I'm not new to Android, but am new to Rooting. I have the Verizon Fascinate and I really just want to decrease lag and remove all the Verizon Bloatware as well as get Google to replace Bing. I have been reading tons of forum posts and website info, but still am a little wary of rooting my device. I was curious if anyone had a in-depth guide to rooting the device step by step.

Also after rooting and making the desired changes, can you then unroot and basically have the phone the same as out of box just without the unwanted apps? Or do you have to keep the device rooted for it to function at that point?

Thanks in advance for any help and keep up the amazing forum info!:)

Reaper78

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, I read through all of these, and while they are full of great info, I am still unsure of a couple of things. My largest fear is bricking the phone.

I downloaded the necessary files, but I'm a bit lost on backing up in order to restore factory defaults. I admit, I'm not at all PC illiterate, but as far as this stuff goes, I'm a total noob.

Is there anywhere that I can see screenshots and/or a direct step by step walkthrough for rooting, backing up, ROM/kernal installs?

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Those threads really are full of great info, and I'm not sure you can get more step-by-step than those. They are broken down just about as much as possible.

Where are you having trouble?

Reactions: Reaper78

Reaper78

May 5, 2011
Visit site
The biggest issue I have is that I just have never done this to a phone before. I have modded windows xp to varying degrees (all minor) but have no idea what is what on a device's OS.

I see alot about CwM, TSM, ROM/kernal matching and general statements for what to do, but I lack the specific knowledge to be as fail-safe as possible. I am interested in replacing the existing OS on my Fascinate with this one:

[ROM][4.27.2011][ED01]Community Rom V1.2 - xda-developers

to increase performance and eliminate bloat, but I don't know the best way to go about it

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
The biggest issue I have is that I just have never done this to a phone before. I have modded windows xp to varying degrees (all minor) but have no idea what is what on a device's OS.

I see alot about CwM, TSM, ROM/kernal matching and general statements for what to do, but I lack the specific knowledge to be as fail-safe as possible. I am interested in replacing the existing OS on my Fascinate with this one:

to increase performance and eliminate bloat, but I don't know the best way to go about it

I am at work so I cannot go into much detail, but let me say one thing. It is almost impossible to brick this phone. Do not worry about that. The guys around here are phenomenal about helping out, and to brick it, you have either not follow instructions well or have a freak accident happen.

I will be back around in an hour or so, if you dont get the help you need by then, I will see what I can do to help...

JOrtenzi

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site

no need to post a link to XDA when the exact same thread is avaiable on this site:

http://forum.androidcentral.com/ver...011-ed01-community-rom-v1-2-a.html#post853023

jjcasillas15

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
I felt like you did when I first thought about rooting my phone. I read and read and finally just did it. Best decision I made. These guys in these forums are awesome. Very helpful if you need any help... Just follow the directions up top step by step and you'll be fine. Once you actually flash through Odin or CWM you'll get a better understanding of how it works. Good luck! Trust me you'll be amazed on your phone once you do it.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Reaper78

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Well, I have rooted my device and tried out a couple of rom options. At the moment I am running a debloated/debinged rom (ED01 with EC10 kernel) Is there an overclock capabale kernel that will work with the ED01 rom?