Trying everything, battery still sucks.

adellc3

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Okay, I'm on KBCR v1.3 (voodoo) with the OTB 1.4 Kernel that came with it.

Voltage Settings:
Scheduler: sio
Limit Clock to: 1200 Mhz
1200 Mhz: 1300-0=1300mV (-0)
1120 Mhz: 1300-0=1300mV (-0)
1000 Mhz: 1275-50=1225mV (-50)
800 Mhz: 1200-50=1150mV (-50)
400 Mhz: 1050-75=975mV (-75)
200 Mhz: 950-75=875mV (-75)
100 Mhz: 950-75=875mV (-75)

I always keep it at the lowest brightness when not in use, and anytime I'm not out and about, I have it on the charger. Perhaps I have a wimpy battery?

I downloaded CPU Spy the other day, and my phone likes to stay on 100MHz 61% of the time, so I figured I could undervolt it to -100mV, but my phone crashes at that setting. I even tried using SetCPU to make a screen-off profile to where it uses the bare minimum of CPU while it's just chilling there. But it just ends up crashing my phone too. I even try clearing Battery Stats and everything and do the whole procedure. But still, no such luck...Is it time I buy a new battery?

When I flashed to the Comm ROM the first time, I was on SC 2.9.2 with EC01. I'm starting to think I should flash all the way back to stock and start from scratch and get all the way back up to KBCR 1.3. Skipping the SC2.9.2 part, of course. I want to go straight from the ED01 Build, perhaps the ED03 build. Whichever one I get first.

Right now, this is my phone's info:
Hardware Version
I500.04
Model Number
SCH-I500
Firmware Version
Baseband Version
S:I500.04 V.EB01
Kernel Version
Build Number
SCH-I500.ED01

The Baseband and Build Number are the parts that confuse me. SHouldn't I have something other than EB01 as my Baseband??

So, my questions are:
What do I need to do fix my battery?
What's up with my phone's info?

ANY advice would be much appreciated. Thanks so much, guys.

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
Your baseband will be whatever modem/radio you have loaded. EB01 and EC01 are available as ODIN downloads, ED01/03 is only available OTA. There is no reason these numbers need to match, but stability and performance can degrade if they are out of sync.

As for your battery, you didnt mention how much time you get from a charge. For me, I consider anything over 10 hours to be a successful charge. If it goes below that, i start looking for ways to optimize. This one time, my battery lasted a whole 18 hours before dying. I thought I was superman. (I am only partly joking about this...)

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
You also have to take into account that anytime you make a major change (kernal, ROM, etc) your battery needs time to adjust. It needs to "level out" so to speak, over the course of several days and several charges/discharges

Jmac9

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Going back to stock and starting over is never a bad idea if you are wanting to get a "fresh start".....My initial thought is that you weren't on EC01 when you had the SC2.9.2. so either flash EC01 now and then reset your battery and see where you stand. Or get back to stock and start over.

By the way....what constitutes "sucky battery" for you? I'm still on KB1.2 (looked like too many issues with 1.3) and am getting 18-24 hours of moderate to heavy use and am thrilled! I have the same voltage states set as you with (-25) on the top two as the only difference.

adellc3

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Your baseband will be whatever modem/radio you have loaded. EB01 and EC01 are available as ODIN downloads, ED01/03 is only available OTA. There is no reason these numbers need to match, but stability and performance can degrade if they are out of sync.

As for your battery, you didnt mention how much time you get from a charge. For me, I consider anything over 10 hours to be a successful charge. If it goes below that, i start looking for ways to optimize. This one time, my battery lasted a whole 18 hours before dying. I thought I was superman. (I am only partly joking about this...)

My battery lasts about 6-7 hours with a little bit of use (texting, facebook, random google searches for friends, words with friends). Plus, verizon reception really sucks at my house, so that could be a big problem. Even though I almost always have 3G everywhere. Just no signal bars. I get super excited when I have one bar of service in my house. Lol. I live out in the middle of nowhere. If I drive into town, my phone is beastin' it up with 3-4 bars.

But yeah, 6-7 hours is my average. I lose 3-4 percent every 5 minutes when I'm using it.

v2playa

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I have been running ComRom1.3/OTB1.3 with Stock (EA28 Modem) for 3 days now, with that said my actual battery life with minimal use last me approximately almost 30 hours w/o charging. Believed or not i have tried every modem there is i can download so by far the best i have tried.

johnsma22

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
My battery lasts about 6-7 hours with a little bit of use (texting, facebook, random google searches for friends, words with friends). Plus, verizon reception really sucks at my house, so that could be a big problem. Even though I almost always have 3G everywhere. Just no signal bars. I get super excited when I have one bar of service in my house. Lol. I live out in the middle of nowhere. If I drive into town, my phone is beastin' it up with 3-4 bars.

But yeah, 6-7 hours is my average. I lose 3-4 percent every 5 minutes when I'm using it.

I'm in the same boat as you are, except I'm on v1.2 and I'm only undervolted -25 all the way down from 1000 mhz. Anymore than that and I get SOD.

I can only get 6-7 hours of moderate use (facebook, Google search, some browsing in the forums, etc). For example, I started tying this post and I was at 28%, I'm now down to 22%.

atomD21

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Part of the problem could be that you leave your phone plugged in so much. Li ion batteries don't do well with that. It can drastically shorten your battery life.

sushiguy732

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Part of the problem could be that you leave your phone plugged in so much. Li ion batteries don't do well with that. It can drastically shorten your battery life.

FYI.... Li Ion batteries have zero memory and can be plugged in and unplugged as often as one likes.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
There is also the wifi tweak that will help with the battery life. under settings-->wireless and network-->wifi settings-->advanced-->wifi sleep policy I have it set to turn the wifi off when the screen turns off.

That alone seems to do quite a bit for me. that and leaving the GPS off unless I need it...It stinks for me that my phone hates being undervolted, so I am forced to scrimp on battery life when I can. That and I always carry a spare battery....

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site

This thisy this this. Reception is the single biggest factor in battery life, more than all the undervolting, piggy apps, and the task killers *combined*. I can, with the same rom and set of apps running, get 18-24 hours from my phone at home (populated area, good reception to very close towers), and 10-12 hours at my office (rural area, decent reception but very distant towers). The rest of the difference is the screen. Keep the lowest of the low brightness settings locked in, or you will see your battery mutilated. I don't care how "efficient" amoled is, having the screen on is battery murder.

sushiguy732

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
This thisy this this. Reception is the single biggest factor in battery life, more than all the undervolting, piggy apps, and the task killers *combined*. I can, with the same rom and set of apps running, get 18-24 hours from my phone at home (populated area, good reception to very close towers), and 10-12 hours at my office (rural area, decent reception but very distant towers). The rest of the difference is the screen. Keep the lowest of the low brightness settings locked in, or you will see your battery mutilated. I don't care how "efficient" amoled is, having the screen on is battery murder.

I use Auto Brightness. Do you find this is not efficient?

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
FYI.... Li Ion batteries have zero memory and can be plugged in and unplugged as often as one likes.

It is true that actually overcharging it can kill a Lithium chemistry battery very fast (like the Li Polymer ones our phones use). However this is trivial to account for; the charger simply stops overvolting the battery when it's calculated it hit the full charge.

I use Auto Brightness. Do you find this is not efficient?

It's nice, but it hardly ever goes to 0 brightness which is necessary to preserve battery life. I have generally given up trying to squeeze more life out of my phone and now have chargers at work, in the car, and at home. I noticed a pretty solid drop in life after going from a lock at 0 to auto-adjust, but c'est la vie. My phone spends more time charging than being used.

sushiguy732

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
It's nice, but it hardly ever goes to 0 brightness which is necessary to preserve battery life. I have generally given up trying to squeeze more life out of my phone and now have chargers at work, in the car, and at home. I noticed a pretty solid drop in life after going from a lock at 0 to auto-adjust, but c'est la vie. My phone spends more time charging than being used.

I too have chargers all over the place. I even keep an extra USB cable in my work laptop bag for the "just in case" situations.

I am constantly trying to squeeze as much life out of my battery as possible but I got the phone to use its features so I am reluctant to turn some of them off (like GPS).

I just undervolted today so I am going to charge to full, recalibrate my battery (BatteryCalibration App), turn off GPS, and turn off WiFi and BT whenever I am not using them.

Testing begins tomorrow.... :)

adellc3

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
I too have chargers all over the place. I even keep an extra USB cable in my work laptop bag for the "just in case" situations.

I am constantly trying to squeeze as much life out of my battery as possible but I got the phone to use its features so I am reluctant to turn some of them off (like GPS).

I just undervolted today so I am going to charge to full, recalibrate my battery (BatteryCalibration App), turn off GPS, and turn off WiFi and BT whenever I am not using them.

I am going to test as well. My phone is on the charger now. Once it hits 100%, I will time just how long it takes for it to die. Then let you guys know. We shall see.

Sent from my KangBanged Fascinate using Tapatalk.

curley

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
...It stinks for me that my phone hates being undervolted, so I am forced to scrimp on battery life when I can. That and I always carry a spare battery....

I am there with you. If I undervolt the smallest bit, mine freezes. and forget about downloading anything at my office. 3g is so bad, my phone locks every time I download something, without any clocking at all. It sucks, but I just wait until I get home. But make sure you turn off your data roaming in a low signal area also. But my battery lasts a lot longer when I have good service. I get about 10-15 hours a day without a charge, with a slight bump charge in the morning.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Mine doesnt even give me the satisfaction of trying. The other day I was changing settings around and everytime I changed it, within a half an hour it would freeze or do constant reboots. I thought it was a bad flash of the kernel so I did that and kept at it with no luck. Might give it another try tonight with a different kernel even though I am pleased with the performance of this one...

I honestly couldnt tell you how long I can go without a charge, I never let it get that far. Like most of you have said, I have 1 charger at home, one at work and a spare. Not to mention 4 batteries (that $10 special was a great thing) that i swap in and out constantly. maybe tonight I will swap out for a fresh one and see how long it actually goes...

sushiguy732

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I am going to test as well. My phone is on the charger now. Once it hits 100%, I will time just how long it takes for it to die. Then let you guys know. We shall see.

Sent from my KangBanged Fascinate using Tapatalk.

FYI... Once it hits 100%, turn it off, then unplug it. Wait about 30 seconds and plug it back in. Wait for it to get to 100% again. This is called "bump charging" and is supposed to add additional minutes/hours to the uptime of your battery.

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site

I am in the same boat, I won't cripple my phone just to make the battery last longer. I leave wifi, gps, and bt on most of the time, and honestly I have not ever seen a conclusive difference in battery life with all of those on vs off. The biggest change has been going from SC 1.x (best) to 2.9 (fair) to cleaned up ED01 which is now lousy. I havent had time to try com rom yet.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site

I've noticed this as well. My battery goes down much slower at home where I have good reception than in the hospital where I work where it is less great.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke