1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 7.1.0 / Glitch

Default CommRom versus Gingerbread

(I put it in this forum, because it involves a rooted rom. Mods, please move if it needs to be)

I have 2 friends with the original Droid, and both of them are so happy that they've rooted and gone to Gingerbread. My basic question is, what is so great about Gingerbread? I mean what does it have that we don't have in ComRom 1.3? I just don't get how they can say it's super sweet compared to what we have. Maybe I just don't get Gingerbread, but is there anything so special about it? Thanks in advance.
    Does your phone increase your productivity or decrease it?

Nexus on JBSourcery
    icu

Global Posts
    400 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.1

As far as I can tell the only advantages of Gingerbread are:

You've got the brand new hotness

Security patches (necessary if you actually use Picassa)

Darker theme (got that w/ KB)

Nicer text selection tools ...

Am I missing something?
    Remain Calm!

ROM
    JB, JB, HC, ICS, JB

Your buddies also got rid of VZ and Moto Bloat. Which we also do not have. The Fascinate also has one of the support communities. Let them have GB, I will take froyo with the devs that support it.
    Banned

I will take Fascinate Froyo over GingerBlur anyday. Gingerbread isnt worth crying over about like froyo was.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 7.1.0 / Glitch

Oh yeah - I mean - I don't feel the slightest bit at a loss. That's why I was hoping someone could maybe provide me with anything they actually "have" over my setup right now. I love my fascinate! Looking forward to KB 2.0 - still on 1.2, cause I never knew the best way to go from 1.2 to 1.3 - and I didn't want to have to figure out how to get my themed market back.

Nexus on JBSourcery

ROM
    Infinity & Pool Party

Courtesy of DroidXcon, some of the changes from Froyo to Gingerbread:

2.3 has a little UI change, the real changes are stuff like
    supporting webm/vp8 video playback/ and AAC audo
    improved power management, improved sensors , better audio management , new key boards
    Session initiation protocol
    near field communications (nfc) support -
    improved long running downloads
    and a bunch of other stuff that has change under the hood

The video improvements will allow netflix to function fully on our Fascinate.
    Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?

Sometimes you go to the circus...........Sometimes the circus comes to you.

Instructions on how to flash ROMs, Kernels, Patches, and Mods through clockworkmod recovery, CWM: DroidXcon's CWM Thread

If you add me on Google+, please list your AC username as a nickname so I know who you are.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    AOKP b33

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss GB.....as Shark points out above, the power mgmt improvement alone would get most to switch in my opinion. (18 page thread on Battery life shows there is an interest! )
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 7.1.0 / Glitch

Oh, I'm not saying if there wasn't a way to have it on my phone, I wouldn't do it. They just act like it's the most wonderful to be released since sliced bread. And not once has either shown me something additional it could do. That's all. Thanks, Shark for pointing those changes out (and to you DroidXCon for the base info). Anyone got any information on when we may see GB?

Nexus on JBSourcery
    Remain Calm!

ROM
    JB, JB, HC, ICS, JB

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac9 View Post
    I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss GB.....as Shark points out above, the power mgmt improvement alone would get most to switch in my opinion. (18 page thread on Battery life shows there is an interest! )
    I do not disagree, but i will take a fascinate over MOST phones running gingerbread at this point. Giving up the form factor, screen and battery life (mine is great), is not worth GB on other phones. Just another one of the trade-offs in life.

ROM
    AOKP b33

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn_Scott View Post
    I do not disagree, but i will take a fascinate over MOST phones running gingerbread at this point. Giving up the form factor, screen and battery life (mine is great), is not worth GB on other phones. Just another one of the trade-offs in life.
    I'm with you there......LOVE the fascinate - and the development that has come with it here on AC. I haven't flashed anything in close to a month and have been happy as a clam with KB 1.2 and voltage control. Only thing that will probably get me to change would be a bug-free CM7/GB. I've tried jt's and if it weren't for the camera (I need it) then it would be my daily ROM --------I understand its getting close!

ROM
    Uncertain

Its been 13 hours since my fascinate was being charge i still have 70% to go. If gingerbread can beat this then we have a problem.LOL
    I love my Fascinate until S2 comes out.

ROM
    Humble 1.42/PBJ-OTB

nvm
    If someone helps you out, don't forget to use the "thanks" button!

ROM
    Infinity & Pool Party

Quote Originally Posted by Brettdacosta View Post
    Oh, I'm not saying if there wasn't a way to have it on my phone, I wouldn't do it. They just act like it's the most wonderful to be released since sliced bread. And not once has either shown me something additional it could do. That's all. Thanks, Shark for pointing those changes out (and to you DroidXCon for the base info). Anyone got any information on when we may see GB?
    I think CM7 may be as close as we will get to GB. Considering all the trouble and time it took for vzw to release Froyo. GB was supposed to be released to the i9000 in Europe mid May. We got Froyo several months after Europe did, so if we do get official GB, I wouldn't expect it before fall.
    Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?

Sometimes you go to the circus...........Sometimes the circus comes to you.

Instructions on how to flash ROMs, Kernels, Patches, and Mods through clockworkmod recovery, CWM: DroidXcon's CWM Thread

If you add me on Google+, please list your AC username as a nickname so I know who you are.

ROM
    Jelly Belly

Personally, I'm going to hold out and see, if we do get GB, what the Fascinate dev community does with it. Seriously, this whole community is just awesome!
    Android: If it ain't broke, you haven't flashed nearly enough stuff yet...