Every phone is different?

domenci

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I have long been into modding phones and other mass-produced hardware, even longer just messing around with computers. I have learned most of what I know via trial and error, and everything else through reading a lot. Hardware is hardware, and instructions are instructions that work if followed exactly.... UNTIL I got this phone and started loading custom ROMs on it. In a lot of threads I see in this forum, if someone has a problem with their phone or something doesn't work right, it's told to them that every phone is different. This just doesn't make sense. How is that every example of this cellular telephone, produced by the hundreds of thousands (millions?) is different, when every other piece of hardware I've owned was produced the same way and if I followed instructions I get the expected result? I know there can be some margin of error in the manufacturing process, but to say that every phone that comes off the line is unique in its creation is just ludicrous. I don't know if it is because people do not want to admit that the devs can't actually know everything about the phone and account and test for all scenarios, or because of this forum's extremely nice attitude (pretty rare on the 'net these days) doesn't want to lay blame on users and tell them that they didn't follow instructions precisely. Whatever the case, saying that a particular kernel or ROM "likes" one phone over another, without even mentioning that there is a wide array of usage scenarios at play, seems odd, and I'd like to know where this theory started.
:confused:

jpprice

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
There are many different variables that are in play. True, the hardware itself might be the same, but people setup, the way the hardware interacts, etc plays a role. It's just like anything else. Some people are able to undervolt/overclock more than others just like on PC's with the same setup. I know I could not run certain kernels on my phone without it locking up, but others had not trouble. Lot of different factors at play.

sfobrien

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
The undervolting is what amazes me with mine. I see guys running the PBJ -100 fine. I try -100 at any level above 200 with OTB and I start freezing and SOD? But OTB has performed great on my device so I'm sticking with it.

After doing tech support for awile in the computer business I got used to computers not running the same even though they were supposed too.

Tweaking is a frustrating business !

atomD21

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Every phone is different, believe it or not. My wife and I both have Fascinates, but hers wouldn't take ComRom. No matter how many times I did it, I would always get the acore FC and the dialer wouldn't work. Now she's running rooted ED01 with the Comavolt kernel and her phone runs great. My phone works great with ComRom (running 2.0 now, better update that...).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463