Nandroid Advanced Restore (User Data Only) plus navenedrob's format utility

Robtao

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I have a new preferred method of backing up, cleaning the files, flashing new ROMs and restoring my data. Flashed MIUIWiz 111 over EF 360, the whole process taking about 10 minutes altogether plus navigation and boot time.

(Always create a clean Nandroid Backup (with wiped cache and Dalvik, possibly voltage) 4-5 minute process, not included. This should ensure that the new ROM will create its own compatible cache data after the restore.)

1. Run navenedrob's reformat utility [UTILITY]EXT4/RFS Formatter (CWM3 recovery packages) - xda-developers as a CWM zip from sd card <1 minute process.
2. Flash the new ROM in CWM <1 minute process.
3. Flash new Kernel if needed (before allowing ROM to boot) in CWM <0.5 minute process
4. Allow ROM to boot (3-4 minute process)
5. Nandroid Advanced Restore in CWM (Data only) (3 minute process)(Restores all User Data and apps)

From navenedrob: ?Understand that this [format utility] will completely wipe your system, data, datadata (dbdata), and cache. This is a "full" wipe of the device.? But it also puts things back in order if they have gotten screwed up. This could be the solution to issues you are having. Thanks, navenedrob! Very cool.

If there are particularly desirable user setups in the flashed ROM, be advised they may get lost in the restore.
The only issue I seem to have is the need to update/install Gmail. Then all is smooth.

Works for me, :)but you may totally bork yours. You are responsible for what you decide to do.

Last edited:

Robtao

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I would not recommend this method (Nandroid Advanced Restore) for switching from or to ROMs that mess with the partitions, such as the CM7 or MIUI ROMs, although MIUIWiz is fine. Also, the new GB leak and latest Nameless ROMs will probably be a problem. :'(

Although I may experiment to find out what happens when you restore User Data only from one partition layout over a different partition layout. I have been somewhat surprised at how few issues I have had using Nandroid, even when rather drastically changing ROMs. And fhe ODIN/PIT method can get things back to functionality if I get myself in trouble.

curley1441

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Re: Nandroid Advanced Restore (User Data Only) plus navenedrob's

sorry for the delay in getting back to you is their a way that you could post it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana