Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Quote Originally Posted by sushiguy732 View Post
    I would love to do this but I am more of a One Click Root kind of guy and as far as I am aware, there is no such thing yet for GB.
    Gingerbreak requires literally one command from the command line, and then a few clicks on the phone to get it to run. Really easy stuff.
    Dis-Member

Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock ICS

I would love to do this but I am more of a One Click Root kind of guy and as far as I am aware, there is no such thing yet for GB.
    +1 on that...but I'm sure a solution for rooting (KISS method) won't be far...

Carrier
    ICS 4.0.4 build 8

Quote Originally Posted by ITF36059 View Post
    +1 on that...but I'm sure a solution for rooting (KISS method) won't be far...
    Gingerbreak 1.2 does not get any simpler. Rooted my Iconia in less than 2 minutes.

You can also root using su 2.3.6.1 + busybox 1.19 zip

Global Posts
    1,507 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Gummy ICS

Quote Originally Posted by joebob2000 View Post
    Gingerbreak requires literally one command from the command line, and then a few clicks on the phone to get it to run. Really easy stuff.
    Please let me know where I can find that info. The only thing I have seen is this;

ROOTING GINGERBREAD

To root your phone is a very simple process and those of us around long enough will recognize this.

you will need adb
    and download the following file: Download

1) unpack the contents of the above zip into c:/android-sdk/tools/
    2) open a command terminal and go to c:/android-sdk/tools
    3) type - adb push su /data/local
    4) type - adb push Superuser.apk /data/local
    5) type - adb shell
    6) type - mount -o remount,rw -t rfs /dev/block/stl19 /system
    7) type - cat /data/local/su > /system/xbin/su
    8) type - chmod 6755 /system/xbin/su
    9) type - cat /data/local/Superuser.apk > /system/app/Superuser.apk
    10) type chmod 755 /system/app/Superuser.apk
    11) reboot

Carrier
    ICS 4.0.4 build 8

Please let me know where I can find that info. The only thing I have seen is this;
    One post above.

Global Posts
    1,507 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Gummy ICS

Quote Originally Posted by JaeKar99 View Post
    Gingerbreak 1.2 does not get any simpler. Rooted my Iconia in less than 2 minutes.

You can also root using su 2.3.6.1 + busybox 1.19 zip
    Ok... just saw your post and I am gonna try it. It sounds to me from reading the instructions, that might e only a temporary root. Is that possible or I am reading it wrong?

Carrier
    ICS 4.0.4 build 8

Ok... just saw your post and I am gonna try it. It sounds to me from reading the instructions, that might e only a temporary root. Is that possible or I am reading it wrong?
    Permanent root for me and all the posters in XDA who have used it.
    sushiguy732 likes this.

Global Posts
    1,507 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Gummy ICS

Quote Originally Posted by JaeKar99 View Post
    Permanent root for me and all the posters in XDA who have used it.
    intslling now... thanks.

ROOTING GINGERBREAD

To root your phone is a very simple process and those of us around long enough will recognize this.

you will need adb
    and download the following file: Download

1) unpack the contents of the above zip into c:/android-sdk/tools/
    2) open a command terminal and go to c:/android-sdk/tools
    3) type - adb push su /data/local
    4) type - adb push Superuser.apk /data/local
    5) type - adb shell
    6) type - mount -o remount,rw -t rfs /dev/block/stl19 /system
    7) type - cat /data/local/su > /system/xbin/su
    8) type - chmod 6755 /system/xbin/su
    9) type - cat /data/local/Superuser.apk > /system/app/Superuser.apk
    10) type chmod 755 /system/app/Superuser.apk
    11) reboot
    I guess I oversimplified a tiny bit... If you have adb installed (plus the samsung drivers) which themselves are one-click operations, then the rooting with gingerbreak is the following command:

adb push c:\wherever\gingerbreak.apk /sdcard/gingerbreak.apk

Then go to the phone, enable "unknown apps", open up the file browser and click on gingerbreak to install it. Once that's done, run gingerbreak, and it will give you a button to "root". THEN it's a one-click kind of operation. Good luck ;-)

Oh, almost forgot. Note to all: be super careful when using ADB and mounted SDcard partitions. I did a simple write to the (pc-unmounted) sd card using an adb command, followed shortly by going to the phone and telling it to pc-mount the sdcard (so i could pull the file i just created) and it nuked my sdcard. Good thing I made a backup!

Global Posts
    499 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Jelly Belly

Quote Originally Posted by big_limits View Post
    Simply rename the bing app and urn done. Softkey is already linked to google.
    That is so much easier than with Froyo! And yeah, renaming Bing links the soft key and long press to Google! Guess that teaches me not to speak out of ignorance...

Global Posts
    499 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Jelly Belly

I rooted with the superuser+busybox package. ODINed CWM 2.5.x and flashed the zip. Easy as store bought pie!

Carrier
    CM7 / Glitch V11 ML

Ok two things... First, what the heck does "Tetris force closes" imply? The game? idk. And Next, when I use CWM to do a backup of my rom that im running now (KB), could i use the the advanced restore to just restore the data as a way to easy get all my apps back? Or would that totally cause my phone to melt and go into force close hell? Thanks everyone

Quote Originally Posted by drjohns17 View Post
    Ok two things... First, what the heck does "Tetris force closes" imply? The game? idk. And Next, when I use CWM to do a backup of my rom that im running now (KB), could i use the the advanced restore to just restore the data as a way to easy get all my apps back? Or would that totally cause my phone to melt and go into force close hell? Thanks everyone
    Questionjack... What's the best CWM to use with this? When I odin'ed It wiped the OTB V2 I had installed and I am procrastinating putting a new one on...

Oh, and if anyone wants to see something totally kick *** awesome in GB, open up the battery status/usage and click on the header (where it looks like there is a jacked up background image)... This has been such a long time coming! You gotta see it! OMG I am getting antsy just thinking about it! yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

This has been such a long time coming! You gotta see it! OMG I am getting antsy just thinking about it! yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    No more drugs for that man! Lol j/k
    bigjobber69 likes this.

Global Posts
    1,507 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Gummy ICS

I guess I oversimplified a tiny bit... If you have adb installed (plus the samsung drivers) which themselves are one-click operations, then the rooting with gingerbreak is the following command:

adb push c:\wherever\gingerbreak.apk /sdcard/gingerbreak.apk

Then go to the phone, enable "unknown apps", open up the file browser and click on gingerbreak to install it. Once that's done, run gingerbreak, and it will give you a button to "root". THEN it's a one-click kind of operation. Good luck ;-)

Oh, almost forgot. Note to all: be super careful when using ADB and mounted SDcard partitions. I did a simple write to the (pc-unmounted) sd card using an adb command, followed shortly by going to the phone and telling it to pc-mount the sdcard (so i could pull the file i just created) and it nuked my sdcard. Good thing I made a backup!
    I never have been able to get ADB to install correctly but then again with all the rooting/flashing I have done I have never really needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by wyseguy77 View Post
    Great Face/Off reference! One of my Favorite movies!

I never have been able to get ADB to install correctly but then again with all the rooting/flashing I have done I have never really needed it.
    Actually I never really "installed" it... I installed the samsung driver exe, and unzipped the 1 click root kit from back in the DJ05 days, and have been using the same exe ever since. It works great, no messing around at all.

Quote Originally Posted by wyseguy77 View Post
    Have you seen what im talking about? I am so stoked... You don't even know...

Carrier
    JT's ICS v3

Quote Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
    Someone posted over at XDA that the su 2.3.6.1 + busybox 1.19 zip file also works for rooting this GB EC09 ROM.
    So I just flash the package with Odin like normal, then reboot, then go into CWM and install zip from sdcard?

Is CWM 2.5 included in the package or will I have to flash it with Odin as well before I install zip from sdcard?

Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Bugless Beast 4.1.1

I installed it then downloaded Google Maps it locked in under 20 second, why could they fix this before?
    Frugal Nerd Tinkerer

Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Rooted, leaned out stock

Any chance this gets us closer to Netflix streaming

Global Posts
    499 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Jelly Belly

The best CWM to use with this ROM is the CWM 3-30 all. It's version 2.5.x. That was the last one that worked with the stock scripting language, which EC09 uses. And to root with the superuser package, all you have to do is after getting EC09 up and running, put the su+busybox zip on the SD card, power down, pull the battery, get to download mode and ODIN the CWM file. Reboot into recovery, *not a full reboot, or you'll have to redo CWM*, and install the zip. Reboot, and so long as superuser shows installed, you are rooted.
    Phattmatt68 likes this.

Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Bugless Beast 4.1.1

I want touchWiz 4.0.

Global Posts
    499 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Jelly Belly

Quote Originally Posted by mknollman123 View Post
    Any chance this gets us closer to Netflix streaming
    So long as you side load the app, Netflix now works on the Fascinate as of this leak. I was watching it this morning.

Carrier
    SuperClean

anyone who has the Leak GB notice any diffrences from stock 2.2.

so far i noticed that they removed the option to free up memory from "Level 2" using the built in task manager.

the toggles in the status bar are the same and to me it seems like when the status bar is pulled down it flows like butter. after comparing it to my girlfriends Fascinate (COMmROM 2.0) it feels smother, this can also be due to the face that i have a nice cookie in my hands after holding that Froyo so long it just feels different in my head... Any thoughts?

Carrier
    SuperClean

what would happen if i flashed a 2.2 kernel on this. what is the worst case? i dont charge my phone i just uses 3rd party batteries and with the stock kernal the fasciante will not auto lock, resulting in poor battery life.
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast