email keeping phone awake?

taglish123

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Hi all! I just flashed CM7/Glitch Low Setting/ED05 and I noticed that my email is using up 60% of my battery and that it seems my phone stays awake. I use Gmail and Yahoo apps, and I have combined email of Bellsouth and my corporate exchange account (seems excessive, I know). Is there a way to alter email settings so my phone won't stay awake to improve on battery usage? Thanks in advance!

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi all! I just flashed CM7/Glitch Low Setting/ED05 and I noticed that my email is using up 60% of my battery and that it seems my phone stays awake. I use Gmail and Yahoo apps, and I have combined email of Bellsouth and my corporate exchange account (seems excessive, I know). Is there a way to alter email settings so my phone won't stay awake to improve on battery usage? Thanks in advance!

There should be an option under your email account settings as to how often your email is syncing or how often your phone is checking for new emails. Change that to as long of a time period as you can handle. That will keep the phone from constantly checking for new emails and wearing down the battery.

Reactions: taglish123

taglish123

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
There should be an option under your email account settings as to how often your email is syncing or how often your phone is checking for new emails. Change that to as long of a time period as you can handle. That will keep the phone from constantly checking for new emails and wearing down the battery.

Thanks Landshark. I also entered a post in the root forum with more details as to percentage of all programs that are using up my battery, which is not much at all. Do you think flashing Glitch's med/higher setting and EC09 will help as well?

JoeUserTX

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Scratch this, I posted a reply without having my first cup of coffee (thought you were talking about email keeping you awake, sorry)...

taglish123

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Scratch this, I posted a reply without having my first cup of coffee (thought you were talking about email keeping you awake, sorry)...

LOL! Too bad I didn't see your comment. Well, technically my email IS keeping me awake b/c I've been messing with my phone. I guess I won't use Fascinate's email app and DL K9 mail.

Is anybody having problems w/ Fascinate's email app as well?

JoeUserTX

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I didn't care for the infrequency and sporadic checking for new mail messages that the stock e-mail app provided. So, downloaded K9 and never went back. K9 beats the OEM app hands down, IMO...

I originally posted that K9 allows you to turn off notification sounds when you're asleep, which is a very cool feature...

Oh, and if you do install K9 make sure to go back into Applications setup and turn off the OEM app, otherwise it'll just keep on runnin'.

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Sorry noob question...I only see the Email app and I force closed it...is this what you mean?

You have to download K9 from the market. Once you have K9, open the stock email app, go to one of the email accounts you have linked in there, hit the menu key, go more, then go to account settings and turn off notifications. This will prevent you from getting double notifications from K9 and the stock email app. Or you can also delete all the linked email accounts you have in the stock email app once you have them linked into K9

JoeUserTX

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
^^ What Landshark said. My suggestion was to Force Close the OEM email client, but that would have just killed the existing app running at that time. If you would have turned off your phone the email client would have restarted, and you'd be in the same boat. Landshark's method of deleting the email accounts in the settings of the OEM app prevents the it from polling the email server, even if it re-starts (which is a better solution).

You can still Force Close the OEM app, but it can be restarted later, though. Without the email addresses though, it won't do much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol