The fascinate and android has been good to me......

KJowers

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
But ive got to try out the iphone! I just gotta! I will be back later, and lurk here still......Im just done with rooting. Its killing me! But hey, on the plus side, in 2 days I will have a a 6 month old fascinate with a commuter case, 16gb, and 32gb card lying around.......unless....lol
Really though, thanks to all the devs out there and people who helped me out.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

sushiguy732

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
But ive got to try out the iphone! I just gotta! I will be back later, and lurk here still......Im just done with rooting. Its killing me! But hey, on the plus side, in 2 days I will have a a 6 month old fascinate with a commuter case, 16gb, and 32gb card lying around.......unless....lol
Really though, thanks to all the devs out there and people who helped me out.

The iPhone is a cool phone too and I am encouraging my wife to get it. But if I were you i would at least wait until the iPhone 5 comes out in October. No sense in getting the 4 now.

KJowers

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
well, see, its a business line, and the contract we have doesnt include the "latest" phones. We just hade the iphone 4 added to our "buy" list in July.....so I the iphone 4 is it.

Sta11i0n

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Don't be surprised if you're not impressed, or I should say if you are for the wrong reasons. I have many friends that are jumping ship from Android to iOS (iPad/iPhone) for no apparent reason. They all seem to be thrilled with "all the great apps it has" but I have yet to have them show me one that I can't get from the market. Sure, they'll have a different name, so when they ask "Well do you have Starmap?" you can say "No, but I do have Skymap which does the exact same thing." As far as the hardware, I just can't see the appeal. There are multiple Android powered phones on the market today (not to mention many more coming out than iPhone releases) that blow them away. Also, it just looks like a brick. Compared to the Fascinate, for example, they have the same dimensions (give or take a few mm) yet, has a .5" smaller screen. I just don't get it, and have yet to find someone that can convince me in at least 1 way why they're better. In the long run, you're the one that's going to be using the phone so whatever makes you happy. Just my $0.02.

Reactions: User One

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Apple's marketing strategy does an amazing job on simple people...

Wow, that's quite a generalization, isn't it? I know plenty of folks who are not "simple" that use Apple products. I use an iPod on a regular basis and will be getting an iPad soon most likely. Are you calling me simple? ;) Or just those who chose an iPhone over an Android phone? :confused:

Sta11i0n

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Wow, that's quite a generalization, isn't it? I know plenty of folks who are not "simple" that use Apple products. I use an iPod on a regular basis and will be getting an iPad soon most likely. Are you calling me simple? ;) Or just those who chose an iPhone over an Android phone? :confused:

Not to say that all Apple product users are simple, but I totally agree with what sparesr4sissies said. Not just in the marketing, but the products themselves, are just sorta idiot proof. Even the people that are very technically inclined and use their products seem to have a clouded idea as to why Apple is better. As I stated, the people I know that have an iPhone or iPad are just amazed to have the same functionality (and lacking some in cases) with different names.

sparesr4sissies

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

I'm not pointing at you here. I'm pointing at the people who say their iPhone is the best because "it just is" or because "it's way better than my 4 year old Blackberry was." It's all of the people who just do what Apple tells them to do, because it's the cool trendy thing to do. Like all of the people that had to have an iPad when it came out, or even better... the people that had to get an iPad 2, while they were waiting in line using their iPad. It's all of the soccer moms, hipsters, and other uninformed people of the world that Apple has eating out of their hands.

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Not just in the marketing, but the products themselves, are just sorta idiot proof.

Isn't this, ultimately, the goal to which Android aspires as well? To have a system that works really, really well, regardless of the user's technical abilities, and regardless of the device on which it is running? I certainly hope so. And remember...idiot-proof (user-friendly) and the ability to be totally customized to an end-user's liking/ability (rooting/themes/overclocking, widgets, etc) do not have to be mutually exclusive. It seems to me both Apple and Android are working towards a happy (stable) marriage of these worlds, just from opposite ends of the spectrum.

But I would not say that every soccer mom and suburban hipster driving a Mini Cooper rocking an iPhone and/or iPad is simple. They have made a choice as a consumer that stability ("It doesn't do weird things when I don't want it to") and ease of use ("If I touch this, it does this, and the icons are pretty too") trumps everything else when plunking down hundreds of dollars for a device, and thousands of dollars on the subsequent calling/data plans.

sparesr4sissies

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
But I would not say that every soccer mom and suburban hipster driving a Mini Cooper rocking an iPhone and/or iPad is simple. They have made a choice as a consumer that stability ("It doesn't do weird things when I don't want it to") and ease of use ("If I touch this, it does this, and the icons are pretty too") trumps everything else when plunking down hundreds of dollars for a device, and thousands of dollars on the subsequent calling/data plans.

I would also say the same about someone who drives a Mini Cooper. While they may claim it to be, I do not believe their decision was made based on "ease of use" or "stability." I think they make the decision based on being able to tell/show people that they have an iPhone so now they are better/equal to the other "cool people."

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I would also say the same about someone who drives a Mini Cooper. While they may claim it to be, I do not believe their decision was made based on "ease of use" or "stability." I think they make the decision based on being able to tell/show people that they have an iPhone so now they are better/equal to the other "cool people."

Again, another generalization on your part. I know someone who drives a Mini Cooper, she's had it for nine years, she speaks 3 languages, has traveled the world, is an intelligent and well-informed person, who could not care less about looking "cool" and also could not care less about the iPhone. It happens to be my wife...but I guess she's simple and uninformed. Thanks! :) Be careful with your broad sweeping generalizations of people based on what you see them driving or talking on (hopefully not while they are driving).

But back to the real conversation here...I'm not arguing on behalf of Apple, I'm simply stating the availability of choice is a good thing, and your opinion of one over the other does not make it right, or better, or smarter. I had the choice between the iPhone and the Fascinate, and I went with the Fascinate, because I like Android more than iOS at this point in time. But I would be very frustrated as a consumer if I could only choose between several Android devices just because you deem anything else not worthy. Seems kinda silly, right?

Sta11i0n

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Keep in mind, "idiot proof" is not the same as easy to use or functional.

As far as limiting your choices to which Android phone, at least you have a choice there. If you want iOS, you get an iPhone, thats it.

Generalizations are just that. Sure, there are a few people that have an Apple device that are "techy," or people driving Minis that aren't doing it just to be trendy. Its just the overwhelming majority that fall into those groups. But as I've said before, the iOS users I know that are still above average as far a know-how goes, still seem to think they have the best thing just because. And you know Mini Cooper owners didn't buy them because they're reliable...

Reactions: User One

s14tat

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Keep in mind, "idiot proof" is not the same as easy to use or functional.

As far as limiting your choices to which Android phone, at least you have a choice there. If you want iOS, you get an iPhone, thats it.

Generalizations are just that. Sure, there are a few people that have an Apple device that are "techy," or people driving Minis that aren't doing it just to be trendy. Its just the overwhelming majority that fall into those groups. But as I've said before, the iOS users I know that are still above average as far a know-how goes, still seem to think they have the best thing just because. And you know Mini Cooper owners didn't buy them because they're reliable...

I work in the automotive industry and I can vouch for the lack of reliability on the mini. Its a great little car other wise. They are great handling fun little cars, you can really appreciate them on a nice winding road or at the auto cross.

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
And you know Mini Cooper owners didn't buy them because they're reliable...

My wife has had hers for 9 years, with not much more than general maintenance. Reliability seems to be an unexpected added benefit of Minis. That wasn't one of the reasons she bought it in the first place...true. Because there was no history at that point in time on which to base that type of decision. But that was, as I said, 9 years ago, and since then, I would wager a lot of folks ARE buying them with reliability as one of the features they admire.

I agree 100%. Although I would argue there are TOO many choices with Android, and the fragmentation has been a major obstacle (self imposed) to Android improving itself at a quicker rate.

Generalizations are just that. Sure, there are a few people that have an Apple device that are "techy," or people driving Minis that aren't doing it just to be trendy. Its just the overwhelming majority that fall into those groups.

How do you know this to be true, that the overwhelming majority of people with iPhones and MiniCoopers just want to be trendy? Have you done extensive research? Is there extensive research out there somewhere that shows this to be true? Or is it simply an opinion you have formed based on a few observations in your part of the world? Seems people with this opinion have themselves fallen victim to simply believing what they have been told is true, without actually having any real evidence to back it up. I know two people at my office with iPhones who are very tech savvy and intelligent dudes, and I know 2 people with Android phones and they are dumber than a brick. But I certainly know better than to come up with any generalizations based on those limited observations.

wtherrell

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site

Logical fallacy here. He did not call you simple. He just said what Apple hype does with simple people. He did not say nor does his comment imply (logically) that Only simple people are affected by Apple hype. I am affected by Apple hype. It has changed me from a fanboy to an active loathing of Steve Jobs and all things Apple.

s14tat

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I manage a 6 bay repair shop. Every single mini cooper that I see have something wrong with it, whether its high oil consumption, to blown head gaskets, or worn out front ends, and don't forget the automatic transmission failures. They are great cars until they run out of warranty. They were rated extremely high on the consumer digest initial quality.

If you do a google search, these are all well documented problems with this car.

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I manage a 6 bay repair shop. Every single mini cooper that I see have something wrong with it, whether its high oil consumption, to blown head gaskets, or worn out front ends, and don't forget the automatic transmission failures. They are great cars until they run out of warranty. They were rated extremely high on the consumer digest initial quality.

If you do a google search, these are all well documented problems with this car.

Point taken. I will defer to your experience in that area over mine for sure. Although a lot of the problems are from earlier models, just like any new model car. Reliability has gone up over the years, there are more and more reports of Mini Coopers lasting well beyond 100k miles with little or no issues. We've done plenty of research, trust me. We are getting ready to buy another one. But again, this is all based on our experience, which has been a good one. So I reiterate, the availability of choice for consumers is a good thing. If we had had a bad experience, we would hate it if we didn't have a choice on what car to buy next. That's really my main point, choice is good. Apple/Android/Windows...there is no wrong choice. It's purely subjective.

And my guess is, just about every car that comes to your shop has a problem with it, hence, the title "repair shop". ;)

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Logical fallacy here. He did not call you simple. He just said what Apple hype does with simple people. He did not say nor does his comment imply (logically) that Only simple people are affected by Apple hype. I am affected by Apple hype. It has changed me from a fanboy to an active loathing of Steve Jobs and all things Apple.

I totally get what he was saying, I was really just messing around to make a point.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae