Still running 2.1 OS

Anonymous7532479

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Hey Fascinate owners!

My Fascinate is still running the 2.1 operating system. Since 2.2 Froyo was made available for the Fascinate, I have been trying to update it repeatedly.

I go to SETTINGS > ABOUT PHONE > SYSTEM UPDATES > CHECK STATUS and follow the prompts. It downloads the update from VZW and then reboots the phone. Then, I always get this message:

UPDATE FAILED or INCOMPLETE. reason:
IP_PREVIOUS_UPDATE_FAILED
Software updates automatically and the mobile will power off and on as a part of this special offering

Anyone know why I'm unable to update to Froyo? It's not imperative anymore, as I will be getting the Galaxy Nexus (or Rezound) within a month. But, if anyone has a quick fix, I would love to get onto 2.2 before I get my new phone.

Thanks ladies and gents!

fassy100

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I had the same problem try a factory reset and then try updating thia worked for me

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Anonymous7532479

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
True. I figure it's not worth updating now--considering I'll have the Galaxy Nexus when it debuts. I just hate running 2.1 because I'm starting to find a lot of apps I want that only run on 2.2 or higher.

atomD21

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
If you really want to get to Froyo, I would suggest ODINing the ED05 build. It will wipe your data, so be advised of that. Personally though, if you know you'll be getting a Nexus when it hits, I wouldn't worry about it...

bigjobber69

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Call Verizon and they will send you a new phone,. 1000's of Fascinates refused to update via the OTA. Verizon issued new phones. Some people got the charge or dinc2 this way. You missed your boat on this opportunity. But if you hold off and complain say in a month you may be able to get a few bucks off on the phone of your choice. I would play that card.

atomD21

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Call Verizon and they will send you a new phone,. 1000's of Fascinates refused to update via the OTA. Verizon issued new phones. Some people got the charge or dinc2 this way. You missed your boat on this opportunity. But if you hold off and complain say in a month you may be able to get a few bucks off on the phone of your choice. I would play that card.

+1000 to that!

fassy100

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Negative my dad tried that and all the obly option they gave him was a refub fassy but i read somewhere that depending on what plan you have you can still get a 1 year early contract and get a new phone but you have to be in at least 15 months since you got the phone

bigjobber69

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Negative my dad tried that and all the obly option they gave him was a refub fassy but i read somewhere that depending on what plan you have you can still get a 1 year early contract and get a new phone but you have to be in at least 15 months since you got the phone

Well my dad can beat up your dad! Depends when he tried bro, that's why I said he missed his chance. Im guessing they arent giving away new Razr's and Nexus's.......

Anonymous7532479

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I heard about that thing where you could have exchanged your Fascinate for another phone, but I didn't even bother because I bought this phone off eBay. I figured there's no chance in hell they'd exchange a phone that I didn't buy from them. I dunno.

I searched the net many months ago (when 2.2 became available for us). I found long, exhausting, confusing directions on how to fix the problem and update to 2.2. I opt'd not to because (1) I'm not a techie and I couldn't have pulled it off, and (2) numerous people who had updated to 2.2 said there were a lot of bugs in the update. They said it essentially f**ked their Fascinate up.

I decided to just give up. But now, we have Netflix, Hulu Plus, etc available only for 2.2

It's all sort of irrelevant now. I was waiting for the Gnex, but the more that's coming out about it, the less I want it. The Rezound is looking mighty nice right about now.

-mcskipp

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer