Stock Memo app and restoring SMS from backup

semmelbroesel

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Hi.
After having trouble with GB, I finally decided to check out ROMs and went with Powerwashed.
Now I found that the stock Memo app is gone, and I had some data in there.
I still have the data in Titanium Backup.
Any chance someone has a download link for the stock Memo app?

Also, I tried restoring my SMS messages using Titanium Backup (I use GO SMS PRO), and it claims it finishes restoring, and I even reboot the phone - but the messages refuse to come back...
It should be [SMS/MMS/APN] Dialer Storage, right?
Any thoughts as to why it won't work? Is the Powerwashed ROM so different that the SMS storage is somewhere else?

Thanks!

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Hi.
After having trouble with GB, I finally decided to check out ROMs and went with Powerwashed.
Now I found that the stock Memo app is gone, and I had some data in there.
I still have the data in Titanium Backup.
Any chance someone has a download link for the stock Memo app?

Also, I tried restoring my SMS messages using Titanium Backup (I use GO SMS PRO), and it claims it finishes restoring, and I even reboot the phone - but the messages refuse to come back...
It should be [SMS/MMS/APN] Dialer Storage, right?
Any thoughts as to why it won't work? Is the Powerwashed ROM so different that the SMS storage is somewhere else?

Thanks!

Can't help ya with those apps/issues...sorry. But I'm curious why you went with PW ROM, and not one of the latest GB ROMS like Superclean or TSM Resurrection?

semmelbroesel

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Well, I solved one of the issues myself - I had to enable "Migrate system data" in Titanium Backup, and it restored my SMS messages.

The reason I went with it was that there's tons of information out there about each separate ROM, but not that much simple and concise information that COMPARES them...
In the 10 minutes of research time I spent it sounded as if PW was stable and fast, and so far I have to agree. It is also fairly close to the original Stock ROM so especially my wife won't have to relearn a completely new OS once I update her phone. And it is fairly debloated and pre-rooted. That's all I need for now.

If you can point me in the direction of a good site that gives a quick and dirty (and user readable) overview between the ROMs, I'd be very happy to check it out and possibly even try something else.

XDA lists all their ROMs, and each ROM page shows all kinds of technical information that I have no clue how to read because (and here's the thing:) I am not a phone developer. I found XDA to be very developer friendly, but not quite as user friendly - I got the impression that a lot of developers are too important to be bothered with us "stupid users". So I am forced to do a lot more of my own research since I don't feel like I can ask any questions that will reach the people who really know.

I did google around for ROMs, believe me - but I have yet to find THE site that shows all the pros/cons and differences between them that's clear.

I don't have tons of time to spend on modding my phone left and right. Yes, I'd be tempted to find a Star Trek TNG Padd mod or something, but I'm not willing to spend that much time on it (especially because the Fascinate has been an occasionally unstable phone for me), so I'd rather go with stable, fast, familiar and be done with it for now until I have more time to play with stuff.

Again, I'm very open to suggestions if you have any based on the preferences I mentioned here :)
I just picked one and went with it...

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Well, I solved one of the issues myself - I had to enable "Migrate system data" in Titanium Backup, and it restored my SMS messages.

The reason I went with it was that there's tons of information out there about each separate ROM, but not that much simple and concise information that COMPARES them...
In the 10 minutes of research time I spent it sounded as if PW was stable and fast, and so far I have to agree. It is also fairly close to the original Stock ROM so especially my wife won't have to relearn a completely new OS once I update her phone. And it is fairly debloated and pre-rooted. That's all I need for now.

If you can point me in the direction of a good site that gives a quick and dirty (and user readable) overview between the ROMs, I'd be very happy to check it out and possibly even try something else.

XDA lists all their ROMs, and each ROM page shows all kinds of technical information that I have no clue how to read because (and here's the thing:) I am not a phone developer. I found XDA to be very developer friendly, but not quite as user friendly - I got the impression that a lot of developers are too important to be bothered with us "stupid users". So I am forced to do a lot more of my own research since I don't feel like I can ask any questions that will reach the people who really know.

I did google around for ROMs, believe me - but I have yet to find THE site that shows all the pros/cons and differences between them that's clear.

I don't have tons of time to spend on modding my phone left and right. Yes, I'd be tempted to find a Star Trek TNG Padd mod or something, but I'm not willing to spend that much time on it (especially because the Fascinate has been an occasionally unstable phone for me), so I'd rather go with stable, fast, familiar and be done with it for now until I have more time to play with stuff.

Again, I'm very open to suggestions if you have any based on the preferences I mentioned here :)
I just picked one and went with it...

PW GB is a great ROM, trust me...I tried it for a short time and it was great. And a lot of folks still swear by it.

You will not find a site or a thread doing a comparison of the different ROMS, as far as I know. The major differences, from the reading I've done, is usually what version of GB they are based on. PW GB is based on an older, "unofficial" version of GB that was leaked, but never released as an official version. The radio in PW is different as well (EH09). All this means is that you are using slightly older source code and radio on your phone...but if it works well for your phone, who cares,right? :) That's the main goal.

If you want to try a ROM based on the official 12/1/11 Verizon/Samsung GB release with the newer EH03 Radio, try any one of the following (listed in order of how close to Stock they are, and these are all pre-rooted):

1)Stock Deodexed
2) GeeWiz 2.4.2
3) SuperClean 3
4)TSM Resurrection 2.1

Based on what you are looking for, I say try Stock Deodexed, or GeeWiz...these are basically like running the latest (official) Stock GB, but with a lot of crap removed for you. I would suggest you load the official version of GB first through ODIN, then download and flash one of these.

Read each section over at XDA that describes what these ROMS are all about. There really is no other way to learn about this stuff than to just read as much as possible. I spent months lurking and reading until I rooted and starting trying different ROMS and themes, etc. No need to interact in the forums really, just read, read, read. Almost every question you could imagine has been answered somewhere over there, or possibly here as well. It's just not nearly as active in these forums anymore, as most Fascinate folks have moved on to newer devices. Yes, it seems a bit more "newb" friendly here, but there is a TON of current info over at XDA, which you probably will not find here anymore.

Good Luck!

semmelbroesel

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your reply!
I think I have come across at least 3 of the ROMs you mentioned, but some page mentioned that PW GB was stable and fast, and that's all I needed :)
I have actually had this phone for nearly a year, and I only rooted it many months later, and I only started flashing less than a month ago. My boss gave me a Samsung Galaxy Tab that had stopped working, so I started flashing that, so that gave me enough confidence to try it with my phone when GB wouldn't install OTA. But unfortunately our phones are not quite as stable anymore than they used to be with Froyo (mine started randomly rebooting with the screen turned off, and Swype half the time wouldn't load at all), so I"m hunting for something relatively light weight and stable.

I did NOT know that PW was based on a leaked release... That might make a difference if I run into troubles in what I'll do next (i.e. try the next ROM).

There's definitely tons of information on XDA - no doubt about that. It's just not always easy to find.
I'm very glad for all the step-by-step instructions I found, but XDA won't let me post a question in a ROM release thread since I'm a "beginner" at XDA - as I said, if you're not a developer, in some sections they won't even look at you :-/
Anyway, I'll keep these others in mind if my phone starts acting up again.

Oh, still hoping for a working link for the stock Memo app :)

semmelbroesel

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Solved my other issue as well.
Not only did I find out that the Memo.db file that Titanium Backup saved for me can be read by freeware MySql file editing software, but I also found that I could extract the GB ROM into its files and then mount factoryfs.rfs with MagicISO - that allowed me to find the Memo.apk file I needed.
I haven't installed it yet, but I don't see a reason why it wouldn't work.
Even if it doesn't, I have my data and can easily read it and put it into a different program if needed.

shraff

May 24, 2012
Visit site
I had the same issue with the Memo app after installing a ROM. I didn't really care about getting the Memo app installed again I just really wanted to recover my memos. I couldn't find specific instructions on how to fix this so I'll post my method.

This will only work if you had created a backup of your phone before installing ROM.

Here is the procedure I came up with to recover my Memos.

1. Go here: SQLite Download Page and download sqlite-shell-win32-x86-3071201.zip You can find this page by googling SQLite and clicking the download page link.

2. Transfer your backup file off your phone to your computer. The default location of your backup is \clockworkmod\backup\2012-05-24.03.06.27 the last folder name is the time stamp of when you created the backup.

3. Open the backup folder and extract the contents of data.ext4.tar. This should contain all of your backed up app data.

4. Find the memo app folder com.sec.android.app.memo in the extracted contents.

5. Open the databases folder and copy the Memo.db file.

6. Create a new folder on desktop paste the Memo.db file into new folder. Extract the SQLite shell from step 1 into this new folder too.

7. Open a CMD window by clicking start button then click run type cmd. Change directory to new folder on desktop by typing cd desktop\foldername
where folder name is whatever you called the new folder.

8. Now start the SQLite3 shell and extract the Memos.db file to a text file by entering these commands:
sqlite3 Memos.db​
.output memos.txt​
.dump​

After running these commands you should now have a text file called Memos.txt in that same folder you created in step 6. Now you can open this file with a text editor ( i prefer textedit it makes it nice and easy to read) and copy out all your memos.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

mook_

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
I had the same issue with the Memo app after installing a ROM. I didn't really care about getting the Memo app installed again I just really wanted to recover my memos. I couldn't find specific instructions on how to fix this so I'll post my method.

This will only work if you had created a backup of your phone before installing ROM.

Here is the procedure I came up with to recover my Memos.

1. Go here: SQLite Download Page and download sqlite-shell-win32-x86-3071201.zip You can find this page by googling SQLite and clicking the download page link.

2. Transfer your backup file off your phone to your computer. The default location of your backup is \clockworkmod\backup\2012-05-24.03.06.27 the last folder name is the time stamp of when you created the backup.

3. Open the backup folder and extract the contents of data.ext4.tar. This should contain all of your backed up app data.

4. Find the memo app folder com.sec.android.app.memo in the extracted contents.

5. Open the databases folder and copy the Memo.db file.

6. Create a new folder on desktop paste the Memo.db file into new folder. Extract the SQLite shell from step 1 into this new folder too.

7. Open a CMD window by clicking start button then click run type cmd. Change directory to new folder on desktop by typing cd desktop\foldername
where folder name is whatever you called the new folder.

8. Now start the SQLite3 shell and extract the Memos.db file to a text file by entering these commands:
sqlite3 Memos.db​
.output memos.txt​
.dump​

After running these commands you should now have a text file called Memos.txt in that same folder you created in step 6. Now you can open this file with a text editor ( i prefer textedit it makes it nice and easy to read) and copy out all your memos.

Hope this helps!

Tried this several times per these instructions. Didn't work. I think it had something to do with the first command

sqlite3 Memos.db

if I omit that command and do the last two it does output memos.txt but it's blank.

Help please.

mook_

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
I used the SQLite Database Browser instead - free, and it opens the file just fine without shell.

SQLite Database Browser

Thanks!!! This worked great!!! I was able to copy paste into .txt

Had some important notes from work....flashed infuse 4g to CM7 and lost the memo.apk

Was able to locate backup file of memo.db in titanium backup archive.

The SQLite Database Browser made my long and tedious week!!!:)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2