Moto X vs Samsung Facinate

gspeed

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
The SGX540 GPU in the Galaxy is twice as fast as the SGX530 in the Droid X. It has a better screen, and is more pocketable. It records video at 30fps, instead of a choppy 24 and out of the box it supports more video formats including divx and 5.1 channel audio.

If you intend to game hard, you'll find the Galaxy based phones to be quite enjoyable, especially of they take advantage of the 6 axis Gyro. Its much more accurate (you can find great examples on the iPhone 4).

The bootloader is not locked down, and is already rooted with customizable roms being cooked as we speak. The Droid X on the other hand will likely just get root, but custom roms are out of the question.

That said, the Droid X feels a lot more solid that the Galaxy S models I've held. But in terms of performance and hack-ability, the Galaxy S is far superior.

If you're a "stock" type of a guy, the Droid X will provide a great experience, but if you want to hack away, make sure to pick up the Fascinate/Vibrant/Captivate/Epic

great post.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Honestly I would get this phone over the x any day of the week even if they both came with locked bootloaders. Why after holding the tmo. Version and the x I love the size of the galaxy s line the x has to much wasted space. The screen in my opinion was better. And I won't go into the CPU/gpu combo that just throws it over the top vzw release this phone so I can buy it

TreyDaPrince

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
Honestly I would get this phone over the x any day of the week even if they both came with locked bootloaders. Why after holding the tmo. Version and the x I love the size of the galaxy s line the x has to much wasted space. The screen in my opinion was better. And I won't go into the CPU/gpu combo that just throws it over the top vzw release this phone so I can buy it

Agreed

mills1540

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
played with both

I have played with both and my boss let me take home his vibrant (i work at a phone retailer) I have also played with a droid x and i currently own a droid. I think im going to get the galaxy s. The screen is smaller but that super amo led on that vibrant is just on another level. I love motorola and my droid is a beast. i have dropped it a million times and my phone still looks great and ive never used a case. I'm even kind of anti samsung cause there unoriginal and there interface for the app drawer is totally ripped from the iphone. But i just love this phone man. Its so thin and its so lite and its crazy fast. I have had 2 days to play with the vibrant and i only had a hour w the droid x. The cool thing w the droid x is the resizable widgets. But the vibrant is just so lite man i cant get over it. 1 thing i did notice w/ the vibrant is that the heat sensor buttons on the front arent that responsive and i find myself hitting them multiple times. Didnt have that problem with either of the droids. But the integrated video player on the vibrant is nice. I had all of these full ufc paper views on my sd card that my droid could never read. The vibrant found them and played them. Im just as confused as everyone else. But the droid is def going to be more durable and could take more of a beating. But the vibrant is a multimedia beast and its crazy lite. I also did notice that the app market is crazy slow on the vibrant. But i thought maybe cause 2 big phones came out and the app market is busy. I'm most likely going to get the "fascinate" or ill prolly wait for the HTC scorpion its suppose to have a 2.5 ghz processor

Last edited:

SteveC

Jan 15, 2010
Visit site
I had a chance to play with the Droid X at the Verizon store the other day. It is likely the best smart phone out there. However, the locked bootloader will very likely sell me the Fascinate when it comes out, even though I have yet to see one of the Galaxy series phones.

The Stock ROM on the X is probably good enough for my uses. But I got away from Windows Mobile into Android precisely so that after paying hundreds of $$ for the Droid and paying Verizon even more $$ to use the phone, I want to be the super user on my own phone. If I wanted what Bill Gates or Steve Jobs think I should have on a phone, I'd have stayed with Windows or tried an iPhone.

Maybe Moto will regain their smarts and unlock it, but until they do, it is the Fascinate and root access for me. I wrote Moto and told them how I feel about it, but that was very likely a waste of time.

gspeed

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I also did notice that the app market is crazy slow on the vibrant

long story short. Had Incredible, sold it to wait for Facinate. Acquired a droid from Verizon at full retail bc I need an Android phone at all times. 30 days to return.

When activated Droid I noticed a lag with the market for a few days. I think the device needs some further registering after the initial signup.

After a few days the app market was back to normal.

Also i didn't see any of my paid downloaded apps in the market during the 2 day latency period.

Not sure if this resolves the issue on the Tmobile Vibrant but check after a few days and let us know the market speeds.

Last edited:

AdamZ#AC

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to go with the Samsung myself. Motorola has pissed me off with their encrypted bootloader.

If you want full access to your device - Samsung looks like the way to go.

(I've been a Moto Droid user since it first came out... and love it. If I couldn't develop on it... probably not so much.)

- AdamZ

jammin

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Has anyone compared the size of the x to the captivate or vibrant? I played with the x at the Verizon store and it was kind of too wide. I'm hoping the fascinate won't be as wide.

gspeed

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
The X felt slightly big to hold with one hand but I do have large hands and it wasn't a deal breaker for me. The X is snappy and seems to be a good device overall. I just think the Facinate is better at GPU benchmarks. Also very close to linpack cpu benchmarks of the droid x. The main reason I'm choosing Facinate is because of the locked bootloader on the x. I may want to be able to root and flash and the facinate appears to be flashable.

The Facinate is a very slim form factor design. If size is an issue then the Facinate may be the device for you.

thezo

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
I just got back from the tmo store and played with the vibrant to see if I should return my x for a fascinate. I was blown away at first site.the screen looked incredible and the ui was silky smooth. Amazingly fast. I then watched avatar on it and was even more impressed. Until I came to the browser and held my phone next too it. There is no such thing as white on the galaxy S. Every thing that was supposed to be white was actually blue. The blue tint was then noticed everywhere making the colors look extremely inaccurate. White buildings on the X were blue on the vibrant.

I was then happy with my purchase and left the store.

When it comes to video playback and pictures that do not have much white in them this phone tips all in the screen department. The galaxy s that is. But when it comes to normal web browsing the blue tint makes everything look dull and dim in comparison to the droid X's crisp whites contrasting with blacks.

The galaxy S screen will blow you away for certain things but leave you disappointed in others. But it is definitely a good buy. I just prefer my motorola because its very durable and you know they use very good hardware. Where as every samsung tv or monitor I have seen about 80 percent have broken within 3 years. Oh and I want that app drawer its so nice. Much better than scrolling up and down.

Sent from my DROIDX

gspeed

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Rest of what you said is great but I would like to see this blue tint you speak of. I also would like to know if its software error or if it's a defect of super Amoled displays.

CPU performance is a wash between X and Facinate. The Facinate still has better GPU. I guess I have to see the Vibrant in store again to replicate the color issue you have and decide whether or not that is enough to sway me away from buying this device.

It may be overstated and may really not be an issue or be software related. really going to need to stand out for me to sway my decision.

idkmybffjill

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I played with a Vibrant and I didn't notice any blue tint. Granted, I wasn't looking for it, but if it's as bad as you say it should have stood out. I'll have to give it another look-over.

Also, with engadget showing pics of the 4G SIMs, I feel like maybe I should wait for a 4G phone. No possibility of the Fascinate being 4G upgradeable?

Lodingi

Q&A Team
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Yup. I also noticed the blue tint on the Captivate. I was also surprised to see how fuzzy text looked on this device. I was doing a direct comparison with my Droid, which reproduced colors and text more accurately. Something to consider.

I found this photo on another forum. This will give you an idea of what we see. All white text & backgrounds on the Captivate have this blue tint.

Last edited:

gspeed

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I played with a Vibrant and I didn't notice any blue tint. Granted, I wasn't looking for it, but if it's as bad as you say it should have stood out. I'll have to give it another look-over.

Also, with engadget showing pics of the 4G SIMs, I feel like maybe I should wait for a 4G phone. No possibility of the Fascinate being 4G upgradeable?

4g is overrated when it comes to Sprint's wimax. They really call it 3.5g and states its a marketing term to market it as 4g. Wimax isn't the future.

ATT and Verizon are developing LTE networks which is closer to 4g(3.9g) by the end of this year. Well ATT may stall a little but Verizon appears to be on schedule.

Most likely the real 4g (LTE) devices won't be available till feb or march of next year.

And the Facinate will not be compatible with simcards, ie no 4g.

gspeed

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Yup. I also noticed the blue tint on the Captivate. I was also surprised to see how fuzzy text looked on this device. I was doing a direct comparison with my Droid, which reproduced colors and text more accurately. Something to consider.

I found this photo on another forum. This will give you an idea of what we see. All white text & backgrounds on the Captivate have this blue tint.

Doesn't look too bad. I guess I have to see it up close and system wide to really get a feel for it.

Activating a Samsung Captivate for my mother today so I will get a better feel for this tint.

Thanks for the photos though. I now know what to look out for.

Lodingi

Q&A Team
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Doesn't look too bad. I guess I have to see it up close and system wide to really get a feel for it.

Activating a Samsung Captivate for my mother today so I will get a better feel for this tint.

Thanks for the photos though. I now know what to look out for.

It's even more pronounced during web browsing. Not necessarily a deal breaker imo.

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site

Without seeing the white balance point used on the camera, that picture is suspect. AMOLED screens do have white balance issues that I have seen, don't get me wrong, but a lot of it is subjective. I could just as easily take a photo like that one that showed the Captivate screen looking perfectly white and the Droid X screen looking too red/brown. I would certainly hope that it's only a matter of time before a software-level color correction mechanism is available for android. The blue-ish hue to the screen is part of the reason i said no to the Incredible, the manufacturers will have to do something for us picky customers if AMOLED is going to gain acceptance.

Lodingi

Q&A Team
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Without seeing the white balance point used on the camera, that picture is suspect. AMOLED screens do have white balance issues that I have seen, don't get me wrong, but a lot of it is subjective. I could just as easily take a photo like that one that showed the Captivate screen looking perfectly white and the Droid X screen looking too red/brown. I would certainly hope that it's only a matter of time before a software-level color correction mechanism is available for android. The blue-ish hue to the screen is part of the reason i said no to the Incredible, the manufacturers will have to do something for us picky customers if AMOLED is going to gain acceptance.

The forum thread I borrowed the photo from was not discussing blue tint. I grabbed the photo because it best described what I saw during my visit at the AT&T store.

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
The forum thread I borrowed the photo from was not discussing blue tint. I grabbed the photo because it best described what I saw during my visit at the AT&T store.

I know what you mean, it's just that from a photographic perspective there are a lot of problems with that image so I have a hard time keeping my lunch down while looking at it. For what it's worth I have played with a friend's AT&T Captivate and didn't notice it was overly blue at all, even in web pages; and I am (obviously) pretty picky about colors. I am getting the feeling that store phones are early release versions that are sub-par; I thought the Incredible had absolutely abysmal color when I saw the demo in the store, but actual for-sale units seem to (generally) be a lot better.