Fascinate available for July 1 Pre-order?

gspeed

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Doesn't understand the preorder ordeal. Do you really think Samsung will run out of stock for a phone they make the screen technology for?

How many people actually know what a Samsung Facinate is?

I can walk into Times Square and do a survey of over 10,000 people and I guarantee you only 2-3% of the respondents would have any knowledge of this device.

the device will be released around July 21st. With the X coming out July 15th I hardly expect Samsung to run out of inventory. You can probably walk into any particpating store on launch day and effortlessly pick this device up.

TreyDaPrince

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
We all know how the Incredible went. I know Samsung doesn't make the phone thus they would pay their phones more attention but you never know. Also, the Incredible could've sold more if it weren't for the screen. It sold out quickly. Forum users like us knew about the phone. But as you put it, the average person didn't know about it because of the less than stellar promotion. Its first commercial didn't even show off the phone.

gspeed

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
HTC's INC inventory was crippled by Samsung not having enough Amoled screens "available". It's been over reported on many a Android websites. There is no mention of any other hardware supply problems. The only ones that existed were for the AMOLED shortages.

The Amoled screen technology is a Samsung product. They own it and are the sole producers of that screen tech. It appears that there is overwhelming global demand for Amoled displays. Samsung which also makes competing smartphone and soon to be tablets, have decided to keep most of the AMOLED screens for themselves. It's the correct business strategy as they have more to gain by selling you the entire device, rather then wholesaling the screen prices so other manufacturers can benefit from your technology, at least initially to give you a leg up on the competition.

HTC is now relying on alternate screen tech to fulfill their screen requirements. I think HTC saw the writing on the wall and Samsung was going to harness the screen tech for its own interests, while stifling any competition that needed it.

Considering Samsung is holding the screen technology for themselves I foresee no shortage issues for their very own phones.

gspeed

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Can't you just install google maps w/ nav on it? It is an Android Phone, after all.

no idea but form what I recall, Gmail is a built in app. I personally prefer the full Google experience. If I even gave half a **** about Bing I would just wait for qa win 7 device.

These manufacturers have their heads up their you know what.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
yeah but looking at what vzw did with the palm pre+ and locked down agps to all but vzw navigator. which would make google maps with navigation useless. i hope they dont do this. but at the end i still dont want bing on my android phone. if i wanted bing i would buy a winmo phone

ceriem

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
wouldnt get this device if it were free bing search and maps. i like my free google maps with navigation

Seems like some of us are drinking the Google Kool Aid a little more than others...
But seriously, c'mon guys, it has hardly been reviewed and we're seemingly writing it off as a faulty device already?
I love Google too, so wait a week and see what surfaces. Look how much more we know about the X than we did exactly one week ago (coincidence, I swear ;) ).

jperiod

May 11, 2010
Visit site
Release Date

You would think with all of the problems that Verizon has had with keeping up with demand for the Inc, that they would be in a hurry to get additional smartphones like the fascinate to market as soon as possible so that they can keep or entice customers. Since T-Mobile will have their version of the Galaxy available for pre-order on Friday, you wonder whats holding up Verizon. Did they guarantee Motorola that they will have a month or so of exclusivity before they introduce another high end smart phone?

:p

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Seems like some of us are drinking the Google Kool Aid a little more than others...
But seriously, c'mon guys, it has hardly been reviewed and we're seemingly writing it off as a faulty device already?
I love Google too, so wait a week and see what surfaces. Look how much more we know about the X than we did exactly one week ago (coincidence, I swear ;) ).

No I'm not really drinking their kool aid but ill give it a bit the x isn't for me bootloader is digitally signed. This has Bing maps. I just don't want to upgrade and be stuck paying monthly for a service that I currently get free. Now if it were rooted and I could remove Bing services I would get it no questions asked

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
No I'm not really drinking their kool aid but ill give it a bit the x isn't for me bootloader is digitally signed. This has Bing maps. I just don't want to upgrade and be stuck paying monthly for a service that I currently get free. Now if it were rooted and I could remove Bing services I would get it no questions asked

I'm not sure I understand this. You don't actually think with the stock software that you won't be able to get Google Maps, Google Nav, or Google search right? You will be able to I am sure. So I am not sure what you'd have to pay for now, that you got for free earlier.

Now whether we can make these Google services the default on the Samsung OS is another question altogether ..

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I'm waiting to hear more I have no doubt that you can install Google maps with navigation. My one worry is if Verizon decides to lock agps down to vz navigator. And vz navigator is a paid feature but I get navigation free now. I hope this phone can be rooted and the fluff plus Google services can be made default

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm waiting to hear more I have no doubt that you can install Google maps with navigation. My one worry is if Verizon decides to lock agps down to vz navigator. And vz navigator is a paid feature but I get navigation free now. I hope this phone can be rooted and the fluff plus Google services can be made default

Well I hope they wouldn't lock it down to VZ nav either, and I would bet they will not. They did always used to do that, but from the STORM on, you could pretty much use whatever GPS app you wanted. So I don't think you have to worry on this phone, and I don't think you'll need to root it to access it. I just want to make sure I can make them defaults ..

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21