Why did Verizon remove Google & Replace it with Bing?!

Syco54645

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
Wow, just wow. MS on a Google phone. Now I have seen everything. Thanks but no thanks. Hopefully there is a fast root for those that get this phone...

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I agree. I can't imagine what they were thinking when they chose Bing over the far superior Google search, maps, and Nav. Plus all the other Verizon bloatware on top of that :/

jpprice

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
This is a deal breaker for me. I will not even consider getting this phone with Bing on it unless I can somehow change the default.

bandroid

Jun 15, 2010
www.twitter.com
it has to be simple to switch back. maybe you cant remove it without root, but i am sure the google maps and all that are still there and can be added, etc.

Your my boy blue

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site

didiwags

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Wow, I had been curious about this phone even though I have already settled on getting the X, but thought maybe it would be worth the wait. Found out about Bing and yep no go. I will stick with getting the X. I think BING is a horrible search engine and cannot believe Verizon would even let them have it on there!!

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I can't even find any YouTube or Google results for Bing on Android. I feel like they are going to use us as lab rats to test the initial release of this technology.

richpjr#AC

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Wow, I had been curious about this phone even though I have already settled on getting the X, but thought maybe it would be worth the wait. Found out about Bing and yep no go. I will stick with getting the X. I think BING is a horrible search engine and cannot believe Verizon would even let them have it on there!!

I am confused - if you don't like Bing, why not just use Google?

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I am confused - if you don't like Bing, why not just use Google?

For me the big question mark is whether we will get the full Google experience by just downloading the Maps application from the market or will we be missing certain things. For example, right now on the Incredible, I have the Google Navigation app (which is separate from the Maps app) that allows me to speak, type, or access a destination via contacts or starred items. I also get turn by turn directions and voice navigation. The address field in contacts and calendar appointments is automatically linked to Google maps. I'm worried that simply installing the Maps app from the Market will not make all of this work the way it does today. Hopefully we will get our hands on a pre-release unit soon, so we can understand this better.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
For me the big question mark is whether we will get the full Google experience by just downloading the Maps application from the market or will we be missing certain things. For example, right now on the Incredible, I have the Google Navigation app (which is separate from the Maps app) that allows me to speak, type, or access a destination via contacts or starred items. I also get turn by turn directions and voice navigation. The address field in contacts and calendar appointments is automatically linked to Google maps. I'm worried that simply installing the Maps app from the Market will not make all of this work the way it does today. Hopefully we will get our hands on a pre-release unit soon, so we can understand this better.

Amen. I feel the same way exactly.

zachthejones

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
I'm waiting until late August when I can get an extra $100 off whatever Android phone I choose to make up my mind between the Droid X and the Fascinate.

I figure after the Fascinate is released I'm just gonna go down to the Verizon store and check it out. If I can change the search and maps (and Navigation!) back to Google on their phone, then it won't be an issue for me.

On the other hand, if the Fascinate is rooted rather quickly and easily, then that will be a huge plus in it's favor. The Droid X has some hurdles to cover in that arena from what I understand.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
re: Why did Verizon remove Google & Replace it with Bing?!

Navigation icon comes with Google maps. I think they started that two updates ago .
And the question is if vzw locks down agps to only vz navigator. If agps isn't locked down maps and navigation should function just like any phone now Google search is a different question all together I have to see if its installable from the market or can you side load it

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Navigation icon comes with Google maps. I think they started that two updates ago .
And the question is if vzw locks down agps to only vz navigator. If agps isn't locked down maps and navigation should function just like any phone now Google search is a different question all together I have to see if its installable from the market or can you side load it

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

AGPS is not going to be locked down.

The ACTUAL question is if you can make these Google services THE DEFAULT. Most people understand that Google Maps will be on the phone, or can be downloaded with Navigation. But we all want Google Nav and Google search to be defaults when clicking an address, or hitting the "Search" key on the phone. In neither instance to I want Bing.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Gs has already been rooted.

Who cares if Bing is default. Root and customize to your liking.

I'm not gonna get into rooting. I just want to be sure I can, in a standard way, on an open Google platform, make my choice of search and navigation defaults be Google. Probably can, we will see.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Well looking at Google maps it shows clear defaults but I don't know hopefully you can set Google as default. But seeing the euro version is already rooted that gives me hope for this. Just hope the same method works with this phone

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair