1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default connecting to windows

hello everyone!
    I recently purchased a used samsung fascinate and I love the phone, but am having some problems. I want to root the phone and put on ics, but when I connect my phone to my laptop it will charge the phone but windows will not recognize the phone or let me put files on it. I installed the samsung driver, but that did not change anything. I am not totally new to android. I had a different phone that I was able to root and install gingerbread on. My current phone has 2.3.5 on it. I do not have a samsung usb cable and read online that I might need an official samsung usb cable. I just am curious if that is true and if it is if anyone knows where I can find one for cheaper than the 20 dollars samsung wants for one.
    Thanks!
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,964 Global Posts

Default Re: connecting to windows

Yes that's true, some cables charge and transfer data while others will only just charge the phone.
    Amazon.com: Samsung Fascinate SCH-i500 USB Data Cable: Computers & Accessories

By the way, not sure what type of laptop you're on but they sometimes cause problems recognizing the phone due to their USB ports. If you have access to a desktop computer (maybe family/friend).. you may want to try that first. Use the USB ports located in the back of the computer for best results.

Edit: one last thing... Do you have USB Debugging turned on? phone>menu>settings>applications>development>usb debugging>On... Also make sure you have the phone set to "mount" from the notification pull down bar while the phones connected to the computer.
    Last edited by Cyber Warrior; 09-02-2012 at 10:29 AM.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I am using a laptop. I can go to a friends house with a desktop before ordering a new cable. Thank you for the link. I am aware of the usb debugging. I am not sure how to set the phone to mount on the notification bar. Can you please explain how to do this? Thank you again!
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,964 Global Posts

When you plug your Fascinate into your computer, look at the notification bar on you phone. Pull it down and you'll see an option that will let you copy files from the phone to the computer.*