root for fascinate

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
future root for fascinate

Well since the vibrant and captivate have been rooted. How hard do you think it will be to root this bad boy. The article said it should be as easy as changing scripts. Now Verizon get the lead out and release it.
Edit
here is the link for vibrant root. Root your Vibrant - xda-developers
Should be a very easy root

Last edited:

homeylarry

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
this makes the Fascinate really appealing to me because Samsung is typically very bad at supporting their phones with updates and such but if it can be rooted and upgraded so easily then there isn't much to worry about

sgtmack

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
It's a reason for me to get it instead of the X. As long as it's here by Christmas, when I can upgrade.
If not, Incredible, here I come.:)

deeemaa

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
i will be getting the X tomorrow as it will be my 1st android phone... BUT it will be for only 30 days or less just to play with a new phone as i am bored to death with my RIM device! Hate the fact the X is locked down but glad because it steered me to the Fascinate! Really Really looking forward to this device knowing it is as open as its brothers and sisters!

Kyle Gibb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
i will be getting the X tomorrow as it will be my 1st android phone... BUT it will be for only 30 days or less just to play with a new phone as i am bored to death with my RIM device! Hate the fact the X is locked down but glad because it steered me to the Fascinate! Really Really looking forward to this device knowing it is as open as its brothers and sisters!

Have no fear, the dev guys will have a root in no time, and the bootloader will fall soon after that I am sure.

idkmybffjill

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
n00b

I'm currently (and unfortunately) a BB Storm2 user. Lack of app quantity and quality has given me a wandering eye when it comes to my phone, and so far the Fascinate is looking like my best choice. So my question, if y'all can tolerate it, is: "What is 'rooting'?" I assume it some kind of software mod that allows the use of apps that wouldn't be available un-rooted. I did something similar with my PSP. Is this something that a novice can accomplish or should I just leave it as-is? I've seen that free wireless tethering is possible with rooting, and that's a big draw for me as that's how I get internet. Thanks in advance for any help.

Arehexes

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm currently (and unfortunately) a BB Storm2 user. Lack of app quantity and quality has given me a wandering eye when it comes to my phone, and so far the Fascinate is looking like my best choice. So my question, if y'all can tolerate it, is: "What is 'rooting'?" I assume it some kind of software mod that allows the use of apps that wouldn't be available un-rooted. I did something similar with my PSP. Is this something that a novice can accomplish or should I just leave it as-is? I've seen that free wireless tethering is possible with rooting, and that's a big draw for me as that's how I get internet. Thanks in advance for any help.

Rooting is just accessing function a normal user doesn't have. It's like in Linux, when I log on my default account I don't have full range on what I can do. But when I log in as root (super user) I can do what ever (even destroy my computer). Rooting is bypassing lock out to get that power, custom roms is what you do with a PSP(It was fun to do making that pandora batt :D) and have a custom OS on your device to add more function. If I'm wrong I'm sorry.

gspeed

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Rooting is just accessing function a normal user doesn't have. It's like in Linux, when I log on my default account I don't have full range on what I can do. But when I log in as root (super user) I can do what ever (even destroy my computer). Rooting is bypassing lock out to get that power, custom roms is what you do with a PSP(It was fun to do making that pandora batt :D) and have a custom OS on your device to add more function. If I'm wrong I'm sorry.

pretty much correct except that root privileges don't give you added functionality by themselves. What root allows you to do is gain the super user access so that you have the ability to read/write to all files across the system. Like all systems there are user access levels to every file on the system. Some files are not meant to be tampered with and thus gain a root level user.

By default when getting an Android device we can not modify those files due to our limited privileges. Once we root we gain system wide access to modify any files within the system. This allows for creating new roms, flashing, accessing hardware that was locked down, changing themes, and a host of other benefits.

gspeed

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site

Also root should be a breeze with this device. I'm sure the facinate's root will be similar to captivate root. Here's instructions for rooting a captivate

http://forum.androidcentral.com/t-c...-you-need-know-un-cripple-your-captivate.html

borgey401

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
Also root should be a breeze with this device. I'm sure the facinate's root will be similar to captivate root. Here's instructions for rooting a captivate

http://forum.androidcentral.com/t-c...-you-need-know-un-cripple-your-captivate.html

ha, yeah right. one of my buddies is a tester for verizon. he has the Facinate right now and it's TOTALLY LOCKED DOWN. we have been trying to get it rooted from various other Galaxy S root methods and none of them work (obviously we alter some things to make it work for the phone). but sorry guys this phone is just as locked down as the Droid X.

_JKK_

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
ha, yeah right. one of my buddies is a tester for verizon. he has the Facinate right now and it's TOTALLY LOCKED DOWN. we have been trying to get it rooted from various other Galaxy S root methods and none of them work (obviously we alter some things to make it work for the phone). but sorry guys this phone is just as locked down as the Droid X.

Wow; seems like Verizon is doing this more and more. Droid Incredible, Droid X, and now the Fascinate. :/

Arehexes

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

Sorry if I have a hard time believing you, but I never trust the "My friend says" live of reasoning. You could be right, but anyone can say "My X works for Y..." and seem to be in the up and up. ;)

borgey401

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
Sorry if I have a hard time believing you, but I never trust the "My friend says" live of reasoning. You could be right, but anyone can say "My X works for Y..." and seem to be in the up and up. ;)

Yeah, well you obviously read what I said wrong. I never said "my friend says". I have seen this in person. But believe what you want I could honestly not care less. I will not loose any sleep over you not believing a phone is locked down.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

How do you and he like the Fascinate? There is so little info out there that I would love to hear any feedback at all about speed, the UI, Bing , how the GPS functions :eek: etc..

Arehexes

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, well you obviously read what I said wrong. I never said "my friend says". I have seen this in person. But believe what you want I could honestly not care less. I will not loose any sleep over you not believing a phone is locked down.

Once again any one can say "I've seen it" just change friend to I or me or what ever. And if you really don't care why make a respond to what I said ;).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2